ER4P and Listening Fatigue
Feb 6, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #16 of 31
I just had a thought that might help the problem, possibly. The NuForce Icon Mobile that I'm using as a DAC/preamp has a high/low gain switch that I've always kept on high for some reason. I'm wondering if this could be contributing to the issue. Maybe the Icon Mobile is over emphasizing the high frequencies. Don't know why I didn't think of this before.

-sid

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had a thought that might help the problem, possibly. The NuForce Icon Mobile that I'm using as a DAC/preamp has a high/low gain switch that I've always kept on high for some reason. I'm wondering if this could be contributing to the issue.

-sid

As long as you keep the volume at a reasonable level it shouldn't make a difference that I know of. You could, however, try with it on low and see what the difference is sonically and make a judgment based on that.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #18 of 31
i think i read or heard that somewhere(probably here) about the high frequencies causing that ringing as well. in any case ringing being something that's common is definitely not a good thing for your hearing.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #19 of 31
Yeah, the ringing is a bad sign for sure, a harbinger of bad things to come. I'm a flight instructor by trade and have spent many, many hours inside the cockpit of a noisy airplane. I've always worn headsets, most of the time with active noise cancellation, but I'm sure this has contributed to my sensitive hearing.

-sid

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 31
Yeah, it's already been two days and I'll re-evaluate tomorrow. The problem is, I don't know what I'm going to do in the future, I'm seriously considering selling the ER4Ps and finding something else that won't fry my ears.

I really don't feel like I'm over doing it, a couple of hours in the evening every night at moderately low volumes doesn't seem like that much to me. That coupled with the fact that other cans don't seem to cause this same problem is leading me toward getting something else.

-sid

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #22 of 31
I had a love/hate with my Ety4s until I did two things a couple of years ago: added Comply tips and a better amp.

I had tried all the Ety stock tips over the years (anyone want a bag of foamies?). The Comply tips were just a revelation in comfort and sound, taming the fatiguing nature of the Ety4s. I tried the Shure olives but ultimately did not find them very comfortable.

I used a HeadRoom Air amp for years, thinking it was the best. The iBasso T4, and now the T3, really drive the Etys better. I've used the D10 as well with good results. Since you use the MiniBox, amping doesn't seem to be your problem (although I never liked the Icon Mobile for anything but a occasional DAC).

Finally, take a day off each week without sticking anything in or on your ears. Go to your quiet place. It sounds as if you need a regular rest.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #23 of 31
Does anyone think that trying a different DAC may help the situation?

-sid

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #24 of 31
Actually, I think you should see an audiologist and have them check your ears out. That might help identify problems and help you know exactly what not to do/listen to.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I think you should see an audiologist and have them check your ears out. That might help identify problems and help you know exactly what not to do/listen to.

Yeah, seeing an ear person might be a good idea. If you still can't stand it, get a pair of RE0s or RE252s (or maybe a CK10?). Personally, I wouldn't become reliant on Comply tips because they're so expensive. If this is truly prohibitive to your enjoyment, get another pair of phones.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #26 of 31
i think you should see if you can enjoy the etys at a lower volume. To me, their at their best at a low volume since the tri-flanges isolate superbly & because of the extra clarity.

That being said, I can't go very loud on the etys because of that detail (which is better for my hearing anyway...)

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #27 of 31
I use my ER4Ps with a Minibox E+, apuresound cable, tip mod and Tx100 Complys. This combination sounds smooth to me. I don't get fatigued at all, however I do give my ears a break occasionally.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had a thought that might help the problem, possibly. The NuForce Icon Mobile that I'm using as a DAC/preamp has a high/low gain switch that I've always kept on high for some reason. I'm wondering if this could be contributing to the issue. Maybe the Icon Mobile is over emphasizing the high frequencies. Don't know why I didn't think of this before.

-sid

oh

yeah the icon is rather bright, really not really something i think goes with the er4 at all. bright on bright

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #29 of 31
I'm going to give the tip mod a shot when I go back to listening again. I've got some comply T-400s that I might mod to see if I can get them to work. I was thinking of removing the soundtube from the stock Ety black foamies and inserting them into the T-400 tube. Not sure if this will work.

I also might check into finding a different DAC, one that is a little darker than the Icon Mobile. Any suggestions on a portable USB DAC around $100?

On a side note my ears are doing much better this morning. Almost at 100% now but I'm going to give it a little while longer just to be sure.

-sid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back