er4 with custom tips vs westone es-1?
Aug 29, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 9
what did they do to the sound?

i've decided against the es-1 as westone seems to be saying they have a bit of a bass drop off.

but if any of you have tried them i'd love to hear about them.

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 9
I found they significantly changed the treble for the worse, and were a downgrade from using Shure Olives with them. I'm in love with ER4 and was super excited about custom tips. They wee a real letdown and I've read several others with similar feelings as ne

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 9
Actually they decreased the treble, but not in a "good" way like turning down the treble in an EQ setting.  It was like they made the top end muffled, and a bit like it was in a "tin can"  (Sorry I'm not great a describing what I mean).   The reason is clear.  With ETY tips or Shure olives, etc. those drivers are VERY close to your ear drum and pointed right at it.  With these custom tips there is darn near 3/4" of silicon tube the sound has to travel through while making a turn in direction....THEN it's in your ear canal.  

BAD cellphone pic...

I wish as I've read others state while complaining about their tips that the whole darn thing could be in the tip so the driver is right at the end.  I don't see why it wouldn't be possible unless you had small ears.

The seal I get using Shure Olives is awesome and I wasn't really expecting these tips to improve the sound/seal, so I would have been happy if there were comfy and sounded great.   But, with a noticeable change in sound I just could never deal with it.

On the flip side, I could NEVER find a tip I was happy with for my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, and dropped $100 on 1964 EARS custom tips.  With those I couldn't be happier.  They are AWESOME.  And while there is a tiny perceivable change in treble it wasn't enough to bother me, and the tiniest of EQ tweaks negated it.   Why are these different?  I suspect it might be due to the silicone.   To the touch of your finger you can tell that a different silicone or formula is used because they feel quite different.   Those tips darn near saved my MTPCs from living in a drawer!   The downside is they compelled me to order 1964-Q customs and I have been listening to ER4 and MTPC MUCH less!

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 9
Went through a few remolds, etc.   In the end, I just don't think it's a very good product.   Nice comfort, compromised sound.  I've read multiple reviews of people who feel they compromise the sound as well...
Here's a good one.  After 4 different pairs he seems to have given up  http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2010/11/customfit-ear-sleeves-for-er-4.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back