ER4-s vs HD 280 Pro?
Jun 30, 2007 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

adanac061

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about picking up the ER4-S cause I only enjoy neutral headphones.

Before I make the plunge, are there any er4-s owners who would like to comment on the following quote:

"I've been a user of Etymotic ER4S earphones for over 6 years now and ever since I heard the clarity and accuracy of the Etymotics for the first time, I've never been able to accept the sound of any other headphone I've heard. The sound reproduction of the Etymotics is so amazing that just about all other headphones pale in comparison in my opinion.

I had been a fan of Sennheiser headphones for many years, but ever since I started using the Etymotics, even Sennheisers didn't sound quite so good to my ears anymore.

When I was at the 2003 Consumer Electronics Show last year, I stopped by the Sennheiser booth and listened to every pair of headphones they had on display. To my surprise, I found one pair of sealed headphones that I thought had a very clear, accurate, almost "Etymotic-like" sound to them. These headphones weren't even among their top-of-the-line headphones. Rather, they were a pair of mid-priced Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. I found it odd that what was, in my opinion, clearly the best-sounding headphones in Sennheiser's booth retails for less than half the price of their then top-of-the-line HD 600 consumer model.

Last week I was at the 2004 Consumer Electronics Show and I stopped by the Sennheiser booth again and did the same comparison test. Like last year, the HD 280 Pro headphones were the clear winner.

I have no plans to trade in my Etymotics for any other headphone, but for those folks who don't like using in-ear earphones, the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones are an excellent alternative."
"

Is this true??

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 3
I find the HD-280 pro to have a have a "hollow" ("veil"?) characteristic, a bit like the Logitech Z2300 multimedia speakers, which I don't like. In my review of the Z2300 speakers, I refer to that hollow sound to as "maybe they're try to add a 3D characteristics to the sound". In my opinion it doesn't sound accurate. In comparison, the ER4S is solid all over the frequency and I like it better.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this true??

Short answer: Of course it is. At least for him/her.

Long answer: I was in exactly the same position. But I've since learned that it takes quite some time for me to adjust to a particular sound signature. After I switch to a different set of headphones, I have to give myself a couple of days time to get used to its sound and appreciate it. The more I switch, the shorter the time to adjust. I had to learn switching headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back