ER4 passed away?
Jul 8, 2006 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Cortes

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

the left device of my ER4P does not work anymore. Well, If I turned up the volume very loud it works, but with very low volume. The right device works perfectly. I bought the phones a year and a half ago in a store called at that moment www.earsonic.om that I don't find now in internet. Do you know how long is the warranty of these earphones?. Would etymotic be responsible for the warranty?.
thanks.

Jul 8, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 15
Did you check if there is wax inside the tube? Had you ever changed the filters?

Jul 8, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach
Did you check if there is wax inside the tube? Had you ever changed the filters?

no, never changed the filters. And I have not the tools to do it with me. But there is no was in the filters, and the left device is so clean as the right one.
BTW tambien soy espanol. Salu2.

Jul 8, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 15
Cool, It's glad to know someone from Spain who believes about a better existing headphones than the ones they give you for free in the train or bus.

I'think Ety will fix you under guarranty, write them a email and let's see. Its weird about listening a bit, try to move the cable there...

About the ER4, I'm plannign to get one of those. Are they really as impressive as everybody says? My Um2 are great but I miss detail and they are some kind of blurry in the mids...

--Spanish version:--

Hombre, que bien! Da gusto saber que al menos un semejante entiende que hay cascos mejores que los que te regalan en el autobuses ALSAs...

Creo que Etymotic te los puede arreglar en garantía. Ponte en contacto con ellos. Es raro que se oiga solo un poco, de todas formas, prueba a mover el cable a ver si notas algo.

Por cierto, estoy a punto de decidirme de una vez por los ER4, ¿De verdad son tan buenísimos como los pintan? Es que los UM2 no me acaban de convencer en cuanto a detalle.

Jul 8, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 15
I just wrote them. I have seen in the Ety's website that the warranty for the Er4 is 2 years. Now I have to wait.
It's a shame I am now in Germany, otherwise I would let you listen to them (well, if they get repaired!). Personally, I don't find the ER4p impressive, to be honest the thing that I like the most of them is the soundproofing they provide (I think about 20 db). I had before some shure E2c that I gave to my girlfriend, and I when I updated to the Er4 I didn't feel any big improvement on the sound. Anyway, I have not golden ears...

Jul 8, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 15
I own a E2c and a ety-4s [ with the converter cable], I feel that there is a huge difference in sound quality between both these headphones. Ety-4s is a much better the Shure E2c.

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 15
Your description matches the symptoms of a filter that needs changing. Get filters and the changing tool, and change the filters. It is absolutely possible for them to need changing without looking obstructed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ER-4 manual
The filters should be changed if the volume decreases or the sound quality declines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etymotic's website
If one or both earphones stops working, or if the volume decreases, the filter should be replaced.

It would really be a shame to RMA the units to Etymotic under warranty only to find that all you needed was a new filter. Etymotic are such nice people to deal with that they might not make an issue of it, but they certainly would be within their rights to do so.

Jul 8, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
Your description matches the symptoms of a filter that needs changing.

Ditto. You've described a clogged filter perfectly--right down to not being able to see any obvious blockage.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by varunku
I own a E2c and a ety-4s [ with the converter cable], I feel that there is a huge difference in sound quality between both these headphones. Ety-4s is a much better the Shure E2c.

You bet! I switched from the ER4S to the E4c and I still think the ER4S is better in terms of overall sound clarity, accuracy, quality and balance. The ergonomics and the looks of E4c are hard to beat though.

To OP: episiarch is right. The most logical explanation to your problems is a clogged up filter(s). It is nearly impossible to tell whether the filters are clogged up by visual inspection; the filters are usually clogged up by really small particles anyway. My advice would be to change the filters first, then if that doesn't help, send them back to Etymotic.

Jul 9, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 15
thanks guys for your help!.
I'll try to change the filters, the problem is that my changing tools are 2000km from where I am now!
blink.gif

Anyway, if it turned out to be a filter problem it would be amazing, because to the naked aye they look perfect!, not difference between the left and right filter...
Thanks again.

Jul 9, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cortes
...my changing tools are 2000km from where I am now!
blink.gif

Yikes! Maybe buy some new ones? In the US, they're cheap at idealsound... don't know how shipping, etc, will treat you though.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 15
Hi guys,
I was a little skeptical about the filter, but I just received today the tools from home and you are 100% right. I changed the filter of the spoilt phone and now it works perfectly. Thanks for the help!.

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 15
Sep 28, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 15
I had a similar problem with my ETY-4p, the left earpiece stopped working, and my 2 warranty period had expired. I send the unit to Etymotic and they send me a new one for $50 (+$6 shipping). In my case the transducer was bad on left ear piece, and the wires were worn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back