ER4-P + Panasonic SL-CT570 == thin sound?
Feb 21, 2002 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MN Dan

New Head-Fier
Hi all - I have just spent the last couple of days reading TONS of threads regarding my new Ety's, amps, players, etc... Lots of info here, and now I am just looking for someone's personal experience.

I just got my Ety's a week ago & love them! So much interesting stuff to hear that I've never heard before on albums. At the time I got them I was running them straight out of an old Sony D-838K PCDP, which I was intending on replacing with a 570. I finally got my 570, and I have to say that directly out of the headphone jack my Ety's sound pretty thin, too clean, and generally not that great. I have read numerous posts from people saying that the 570 was one of the better PCDP's out there currently, but I really prefer the sound of my Sony over the 570.

You are probably saying to yourself "yeah, that's great. Use the Sony and return the 570. Duh.". However, I am curious if those of you with 570's are using the line out into an amp when you speak so highly of it? Because I am considering getting an amp in an effort to attain the next level of detail. Downward spiral, I know. But those little Altoids amps look so sweet, and I really want to get these Ety's singing.

So is the 570 + an amp the ticket to get my ER4-P's singing? Am I going to hear a big difference with an amp when the ER4-P's are so easy to drive to begin with? Is the 570's amp anemic? Actually, if I go that route then I am going to get an ER4-S cable from fixup.net. So many options. My head is spinning.

thoughts?

MN Dan

Feb 21, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 8
I would venture to say that most of the people who are singing the praises of the 570 are using the line out with a headphone amp.

The headphone jack on the 570 is ok - but not great. The chief selling point of the 570 is a great sounding line out combined with non-compressed 10 second anti-skip.

If I need a portable system, I use my Pansonic 570 with my JMT built CHA47 amp. If I don't want to use an amp. or I'm going to be doing stationary listening, I use my Grado SR-80s directly out of the headphone jack of the Sony D-25s.

In my experience, all headphones (even low impedance ones like the Grado SR-80s or Ety ER4-P) sound better with a headphone amp - so I would suggest a PM to JMT regarding his reasonably priced and well built amps.

Feb 21, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 8
I wouldn't call the 570's headphone jack anemic. It's got 9mW of power - which is about the most powerful you can buy new on the market today.

It's just that the headphone jacks of pretty much all PCDPs available today suffer considerably in comparison to both PCDPs of just 5-6 years ago and also compared to dedicated headphone amps.

If you want a PCDP that has a great sounding (not merely ok, like the 570) headphone jack I suggest you look into aquiring an old Sony player like the D-25S (which has been much discussed in this forum recently) or a D-777. Otherwise, if you want really good sound out of a more recent vintage PCDP, you will need to couple the player with a good amp.

Feb 21, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 8
The SlimX has 12mw output and drives the Ety's to REALLY HIGH LEVELS!!!

Just thought I would share that with you.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 8
I think the ER-6's and the 570 were not a good match. I always got the feeling that the headphones were waiting for a better source. The line out of the 570 (for a portable) is dynamite, but even with a good interconnect and a good CMOY, I don't think you'll ever get truly satisfying sound with the Etymotics. I feel they really are for home listening with your main rig more so than portable.

P.S. I had the d-25s and I must say that though it was interesting to listen to, the quality of sound from both the headphone out and the line out was less than my Panasonic.

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks, guys! This is all great information.

Interesting that you didn't like the D-25s so much, cajunchrist, since everyone seems to be talking about them as if they were some sort of holy grail. Seems like a battle to see who can have the oldest, most out-dated CDP that somehow just makes the music "sing"! Yes, yes - I know that they put much better amps in the older players, but I can't help but think that all of these D-25'ers are also way into vinyl and $3000 interconnects, so I take those recommendations with a grain of salt. (Flame away!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

I still see an Altoids amp in my future, though I am not positive yet. I wish I knew someone with a headphone amp so that I could see if it really makes that much difference (to me). The Etymotics are just so dang revealing that I feel like I might really be able to hear the difference, whereas I'll be damned if I can hear a difference between amps in a home stereo environment...

MN Dan

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by MN Dan
I can't help but think that all of these D-25'ers are also way into vinyl and $3000 interconnects, so I take those recommendations with a grain of salt.

I'll have you know that I own no vinyl and I have only one $20.00 interconncect to link up my portable to my CHA47 amp
wink.gif

Seriously - I do think there was some irrational exuberance going on with the whole D-25s mania. However, the D-25s remains a fine sounding player and is infinitely better sounding than any PCDP that you could buy new today (CT570 included) IMO.

Feb 23, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 8
"Interesting that you didn't like the D-25s so much, cajunchrist, since everyone seems to be talking about them as if they were some sort of holy grail."

For 50 shipped and the cost of a 9v adapter, for some the D-25s is a great sounding player at a great price. For my taste the 570 is better.

The d-25s is remarkable because of its very powerful headphone amp combined with a good sound and very sturdy build quality. It's a great value, but only if you like its sound. I felt it was muddy and undefined even through the line out with a good interconnect.

Many people in this hobby like to collect vintage equipment, and Silicon Salvage's acquisition of a large number of these players was a great way for many people to get a taste of what a well designed CD player should be.

Just because everybody else likes it doesn't mean you have to like it. And just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back