ER4-P Filter replacement
May 16, 2004 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Chizzler

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All,
How do I know when my Ety's filters need to be changed? They don't look clogged or anything but I use them ALL the time. Any ideas?

May 16, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoraxcis
The only time they need to be changed is if there is channel dropout on either channel.

I disagree. If it's been more than a few months I'd change them out. At least when I was using my er-6 regularly, I'd always appreciate the clearer sound out of fresh filters. (I used to change every few months or so)

May 16, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 16
I don't think that's true for ety ER-4. I've had mine for about 1 1/2 years and I'm still on my first set of filters. I've notice no drop in sound performance. The ER-4 filter is further away and is thinner with the tips on than the er-6. As long as you clean your ears out daily, you should be alright. No need to keep buying filters if you don't have.

May 16, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks everyone for the replies. They look and sound ok so I guess I'll leave them alone. I was just curious.

May 17, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 16
Just for test, I'll try replacing my filters to see if it makes any difference. I'll have 2 pair left, so that should last my another 3 years, so if it makes no difference, it's no big loss. I don't have the changing tool with me, so I'll have to wait until tonight. I'll post my results tomorrow.

May 17, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
I disagree. If it's been more than a few months I'd change them out. At least when I was using my er-6 regularly, I'd always appreciate the clearer sound out of fresh filters. (I used to change every few months or so)

I agree. I also change them if they get wet for any reason (rain, wet-willy remnants, etc.).

May 17, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Notorious P.I.G.
I agree. I also change them if they get wet for any reason (rain, wet-willy remnants, etc.).

I remember a post from Don Wilson (from ety) saying that the filter will be fine even if it gets wet and long as you let it dry out. I believe you will notice a big decrease in sound while it is wet but it's no reason to replace it.

May 17, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I remember a post from Don Wilson (from ety) saying that the filter will be fine even if it gets wet and long as you let it dry out. I believe you will notice a big decrease in sound while it is wet but it's no reason to replace it.

Cool. Thanks for the info. That's what I've been doing, but I wasn't sure that the filters would be the same post dry-out.

Cheers

May 17, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

I don't think that's true for ety ER-4. I've had mine for about 1 1/2 years and I'm still on my first set of filters. I've notice no drop in sound performance.

Lucky you! Yesterday I had to change my right filter (suddenly no sound there anymore: you can imagine: I nearly got my first heart attack!) and I own them only for a month!

May 17, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by razputin
Lucky you! Yesterday I had to change my right filter (suddenly no sound there anymore: you can imagine: I nearly got my first heart attack!) and I own them only for a month!

The one thing the can kill the sound is if you clean the rubber tips and put it back on when it's wet. You either have to let it dry out (not sure how long that takes) or replace it. The other thing would be putting them in when you've just taken a shower and didn't dry you ears. I guess a lot of wax would be the third thing and then you really do need to replace them.

May 17, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 16
iamdone is very fortunate, as I have an ongoing earwax issue and I end up changing filters every few months or less. TBH, I've been rotating my headphones and don't use my precious ER-4P's as often as I used to, although I love them as much as ever.
etysmile.gif

They DO sound quite bright right after a filter change, and I might suggest changing both at the same time, to keep the balance even.

May 18, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

The one thing the can kill the sound is if you clean the rubber tips and put it back on when it's wet. You either have to let it dry out (not sure how long that takes) or replace it. The other thing would be putting them in when you've just taken a shower and didn't dry you ears. I guess a lot of wax would be the third thing and then you really do need to replace them.

Oh! Good to know! I have no wax issue at all, but I washed my hair before this happend and went from the foamies to the rubber tips. As they are still uncomfortable, moisture always helps to put them in. That water would kill my filters: I never thought about that
rolleyes.gif

Now I'll have to take extra care
etysmile.gif
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back