ER20s - So wonderful
Nov 29, 2006 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

m_memmory

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this would be the best place for this post so if any moderator wants to move it then feel free.

I thought I'd have to start a thread and say about how great these things are!! I've been on here a while and, like most if not all, know that protecting our hearing is a very good thing and very important. I mean we all want to be able to make sure that we are able to enjoy music as it is for a very long time and (hopefully) never have to put up with tinnitus.

Well a while ago, from reading threads about them, I brought a pair of Etymotic ER•20 earplugs to use whenever I was going somewhere where loud music would be being played - however mostly for use at music practise at church. Due to some personal problems (that I'm sure no one really wants to hear about as it's fairly dull and has nothing to do with Head-Fi) I've not actually been to music practise for a long time and before that I always forgot to take the earplugs with me.

Well tonight is the first night that I've been to music practise and this time I did take my earplugs with me. What a difference they made!! Normally I stand there in the middle of the drummer and the trumpet player and end up being blasted by them both and unable to hear the leader as she tells us what we are doing next and what kind of sound she'd like to hear.

Well tonight I had them in and the sound wasn't annoying at all. I could hear everything fairly well and it still sounded well enough for me to be able to follow what was being played without any trouble. I could still hear the group leader (tonight a bloke) speaking to me without any problems - in fact I could hear him so clearly that I forgot that I had to make sure that everyone else would shut up so that he could hear me. The difference that they made was totally noticeable when I took them out for the interval break - suddenly the little bit of music that was still being played sounded so loud. I couldn't believe that for so long I've listened to this on a fairly regular basis (till life took me away)

There's definitely no way that I'm going to another music practise without these with me and I think I'll be using them when I'm playing in the group as well. The sound is so loud from everyone playing and these don't seem to alter the sound much at all - it's just turning the volume down. I think I would even feel happy using them at a concert which I never thought I would do when I first got them as I thought they might take away from the enjoyment.

Basically, for anyone whose going or has to go somewhere where it's really loud - well I recommend that you pick a pair of these things up and use them. Your ears will love you for it!

Nov 29, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 2
Total agreement. I can't count how many times these earplugs saved me from my music director pinging a Dr. Beat (metronome on major steriods) through a loudspeaker or the drumline's cymbals smashing their hardest behind me.

Too bad that many of my generation will have hearing loss by the time they're 30, if they live that long.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back