ER-6i over E3/E3c's?
Nov 14, 2004 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

phong

Head-Fier
I will be needing to upgrade from my Shure E2c's (which are currently broken and I am on my second pair). I do not know if I can trust Shure reliability or maybe it is because of my unfortunate luck. However, I have been looking much into the ER-6i, as it matches in color with my iPod but most importantly, it is offers some (from what I read) minor improvements to the ER-6 Isolators. Yet, I am still deciding whether to get the ER-6i's or the Shure E3s. (is there any difference outside of physical appearance between the consumer white E3c's and the dubbed "professional" grey E3s?). As for the E3c's I have heard mixed reviews and experiences. I have seen that the ER-6i's are often compared to the Shure E2c's (of which I have owned and have let me down twice) more so than to the E3's.

As of right now I am leaning towards over to get the ER-6i's over the E3s. Would you say this is safe choice? And no, I am not considering the ER-4p or the E5s.

I listen to a wide range of music from rock, hiphop/R&B, eletronic, vocal, new age/world, jazz to classical and much . Thus, I will probably need some 'buds that will have a good frequency with good emphasis/balance with treble and bass. I will be using it with an iPod and a Cmoy amp (OPA2227PA).

I have been searching and reading a lot between my choices. But it is not enough to draw any sort of conclusion.

Please offer your insights and advice. Thanks!

Nov 14, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 8
For rock, and vocal music I found the E3's to be better then the 6i's. If you have an equalizer I would choose the E3's all the way (some people calim equalized E3's can sound close to E5's), however without an equalizer it could be debatable. 6i has excellent sound too, however they sound a little weak/thin, compared to the E3's which sound full.

This pages may help.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=shure+e3

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd choose the e3c:s over the er-6i because the etys have so thin cables and they are hard to get away from clothes and stuff, and that make a scraping sound when you move. They have a shirt clip but I have a hard time adjusting it so it gets the cables away.

The e3c:s are a bit strange with the fitting, but when you learn how to fit them you will love it!
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like the e3c:s.

Nov 14, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 8
I wish I could start on the E3c vs ER-6i comparison a bit sooner, but I haven't had enough time on the ER-6i yet. I'll start making notes in about a week or two's time.

Dec 7, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 8
Coming from someone who is upgrading from broken EX71s, I just returned my ER-6i and kept E3c after buying both for a head to head comparison (literally).

In almost all respects, the E3 was better than the er6i. I almost cried when I heard the bass from the er6i. It really does suck (especially when coming from EX71). The E3 has much more punch, and when EQ'ed, it sounds real crisp and clean. It could use a tad more kick, but my iPod can't push it that hard or it'll distort.

Although at first the er6i was hard to put on and take off, I have gotten good at it, and it is a mute point when comparing the two.

If I could give anything to the er6i, I would say that the "separation" between the instruments is much better. You can really hear each frequency clearly without any muddiness from other frequencies.

One last thing, to those who are afraid of the mid-bass on the E3c, I found that it wasn't too overpowering and actually livened the music up a bit.

I'm pretty happy with the E3c.

Next, I will be trying out the Sharp MD33s. I hope they come close to the E3c without bettering them. They are like 1/3 the cost and I'll have to do another return if I really like them better...I'll keep you all posted.

Dec 7, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 8
This is an area that you really have to try yourself to decide what's best for you. I had E3s, hated them, got EX71s, and love them. Others have the opposite experience. I don't use an EQ on my portable rig.

I suggest reading a few opinions and comparisons, then take a punt by buying one. If you don't like it, return it, and get the other one.

Dec 7, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I wish I could start on the E3c vs ER-6i comparison a bit sooner, but I haven't had enough time on the ER-6i yet. I'll start making notes in about a week or two's time.

I will be looking forward to that - looking for something suitable to replace my EX71's in my portable rig and the Ety's have my ca$h at the moment!
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 8
I had a hard time deciding between these two before purchasing e3.. here is my thought. 6i is said to have better SQ than e3. but other than that, e3 seems to be a better product. BTW, as many have mentioned, e3 does sound great with EQ. EQ makes e3 sound much brighter. what a pity that ipod doesnt have a mannual EQ setting..
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back