ER-6i or sfi3
Sep 28, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by stunt101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are any of these as powerful as the bose tri-port earphones for bass?

I've yet to hear the term powerful bass to describe the IEM's you're looking at. Perhaps some canal phones might serve you better? Is there a reason you were looking at these particular IEM's?

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #17 of 23
Thanks Jewman for the comments. I don't care if it is descrete or not (should I be? o.O)except that others can't hear my music (Because I will be listening it in class during break time). I did not know that the cables could be replaced, that is a + for me as I have never heard of that before, however, wouldn't that mean that now the cable could fall out easily as well....?

Sep 28, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by souladdikt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've yet to hear the term powerful bass to describe the IEM's you're looking at. Perhaps some canal phones might serve you better? Is there a reason you were looking at these particular IEM's?

yes, I have searched for about 8 hours searching for high quality all around AND bass earphones/IEM. These appeared NUMEROUS times and they are one of the top rated earphones around. I like the idea of the around the ear for the fi3's because, if memory serves me right, I believe that reduces stress on the wire. The ety's I was looking for because they looked like they would serve well for noise-isolating which is also a key aspect.

UPDATE:
Well, I believe I will be getting the super fi-3's because they got thicker wire and it is a replaceable wire. The bass apaprently is more "powerful" and the over the ear model puts less strain on the wire.

Only question now is basically is there a better product for under $100?

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by stunt101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've been searching for around 8 hours and I've finally narrowed my choices down to the popular ER-6i and sfi3. My goal was to get earphones of some sort with sound isolating and strong bass (or at least better or equal to my old bass ones which were Bose Tri-Port earphones (ya i know...
rolleyes.gif
)).
However, I still have some questions...
1. Which one is more durable/lasts longer (im going to be putting them in my pocket or in the pouch and then into my pocket). In terms of the earphones part, the wire, etc.
2. Does the ER-6i really only have decent bass? That would be a let down.
3. Which one of these is the one that is best having the wire wrapped around your ear? (or am I thinking of another one)
4. Which one would you recommend?

I am currently using these sony noise-cancelling earphones without the eartips because I lost them, so quick responses and detailed explanations are greatly appreciated (no tip earphones = hurts -.-)

P.S. Durability is a huge factor for me between these earphones then my next concern is probably bass.
Thank you for the responses in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

ER6i are light on the bass. Never tried the Sf3 (Sf 5 pro have bass, but too big for my ears).

Look at the JVC Marshmallows, good bass volume like Bose IE or Sennheiser CX300, but better detail than Bose IE Senn CX300, and cheaper than both. Mids and highs aren't bad either. They sound more like $60-80 earphones than the $25 shipped you can pay online for them.

BTW, Lime green sound the best
icon10.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #21 of 23
Sorry for not seeing this sooner, I just woke up. Ok, as far as durablility looks can be decieving. The Super.fi 3 and the Ety's have both held up perfectly and even though the Ety's seem like they have a really thin non-durable cable, it's the exact opposite. It's a little toughie. As far as microphonics, the UE's have less, UNLESS you clip the Ety's to you shirt or whatnot. As far as bass (you can note my sig) I like really good distinguished bass. The super.fi's have more impact, but IMO, the forward mids(vocals) usually cover up the quality of the bass, but to me, the Ety's are balanced whereas they don't have as much impact (maybe a tad less than the super.fi's), but it's a better quality and can be distinguished better. Another note, some people find the Ety's bright, but IMO I find the Super.fi 3's bright. (and yes I have a proper seal)

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #22 of 23
hmmm... in that price range - go with the InMotion im716's
They are a discountinued model and have gone down a LOT in price $70-$90.
They have more bass and more detail than the 6i's. Not quite the same detail as the Ety 4's, but a much warmer sound. I have compared all 3 together (lil bro has 6i's, dad has ety 4's, I have im716's).
If you are a very big bass head and not want to spend much money at all....go with the Future Sonics FS1's. You can find these really cheap, but I would suggest modding them.

Tri-ports are not well regarded here (if you didn't notice). Now, if you want bass and detail for less money than the triports and a significant upgrade - get the AKG 81DJ's.

Truth is that you really should try something different from the tri-ports. You may end up finding you like something different!

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #23 of 23
Hi..

You might be confusing S.F3 with S.F5. S.F3 is less bass when compared to S.F5. If you look at the U.E. website, you'll see the frequency graph of these phones and you can see what musical genre they are good for. S.F3 is better for Jazz and Classical while S.F5 is better for rock and rock derivatives.

I just got a pair of S.F5 and am pleased with it. The cables are very sturdy and the construction is excellent. Two of my friends also bought S.F3 (one each). The construction is excellent. I didn't try the S.F3 but as for S.F5, I found the bass to be very present and the sound to be fun. However, I was disappointed in the level of details (however, I went into this knowing that S.F5 doesn't have lots of details...T.F10 is much better or the Etys are better there.)

This is my first IEM and it is good enough...and I'll be using it mainly for travel only (replacing my PXC250). However, personally, I think that the S.F5's sound quality is actually below my Audio Technica ATH-CM700ti. The CM700ti is actually incredible (soundstage, details etc.) Unfortunately, they are not isolating. One note of warning, if you decide to look into the CM700s, BECAREFUL of ebay as there are a lot of ripoffs. I bought these from Yadobashi Camera in Tokyo directly and cost me $140, so, if you were to see $40 from ebay, those are probably fake.

Good luck!

PS - check out http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimat...erfi/index.php
and you'll see the frequency graphs and the suitable musical genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back