ER-6i for $117, ER-4P for $199
Dec 27, 2004 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Buffalo Bill

100+ Head-Fier
Given, the most expensive headphones I own are the Sennheiser PX200, and at one point was going to buy some HD280 Pros. Either one is a big step up from anywhere I look, but would head-fi suggest the ER-4P if it's only $82 more (as opposed to the MSRP, which would be $181 more)? Also, the diffrence between the 4P and 4S is the jack-style?

Cheers,
Nathan

Oh BTW, these prices are at headsonic or whatever.

Dec 27, 2004 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 16
Disclaimer: I have never personally listened to the Etymotic headphones.

That said, the GENERAL OPINION on the board seems to be that if you're going to jump on the Etymotic bandwagon, you might as well grab the reins. Most seem to feel that the Ety 4 series is easily worth the extra 80-90 dollars extra over the 6 series. And, hell, trust me: if you really like the 6/6i phones, you're going to be getting the 4-P/S headphones soon anyway
biggrin.gif

Also, the difference between P and S is that the 4P's have a lower impedence, and thus, are easier to drive (hence, "portable"). They have a much more colored sound as opposed to the 4S's neutrality. If you're going to use the 4S, it would be best to invest in a headphone amp as well. If you're going for the minimalistic approach, though, the 4P's should serve you well.

Someone more knowledgeable about Ety's, feel free to jump in.

Dec 27, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 16
I currently own the Ety ER-6 canalphones, and I used to own the ER4-P's. I sold the ER4's a year or two ago, but have another pair on order. The ER6's don't have the same level of cord-induced microphonics that the ER4-P's did, but they don't isolate as well either. For that small of a difference in price, and because of the ER4-P's newly redesigned cable, I'd recommend going with the ER4-P.

-Keith

Dec 27, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane1
Can you tell me where I could find the ER4-P's for $199.00?? I would suggest that you get those.

shane

Earsonic. They are a Head-Fi sponsor and their link can be found on the front page of Head-Fi. I've gotten good, quick service from them in the past.

-Keith

Dec 27, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 16
i personally like the ER6i sound better than the ER4x sound. however, i have had two sets of ER6i's break, despite having completely babied them. for this reason, unless Etymotic addresses the build quality, i wouldn't buy another set of ER6i phones.

Dec 27, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 16
I've had the ER-6 for about a year and just received the ER-4p for christmas (I've actually had them about a week and a half) and all I can say is whoa.

I really enjoyed the ER-6 but the ER-4 simply sound better the microphonics are much worse, but if you use the little shirt clip they're not that bad. For the current price of the ER-4 you might as well go all the way.

Dec 27, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 16
Another thumbs-up for the ER-4P's - get the adaptor from Ety or the Xin Tech one and you have the best of both worlds - P ans S should you wish - And ER-4's ARE capable of bass!
etysmile.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 16
So it's settled; I'm getting the 4P. But any recomendations on where I should get them from? I kind of like to avoid UPS this time of year; since they always seem to be on lock-up. Thanks for that help,

Nathan

Dec 27, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 16
headphone.com would be the cheapest. Apply the 10% off coupon, and you'd be getting it for somethign like $204 shipped second day.

earsonic/discountheadphones are both selling it for 200, but I'm not sure what their shipping charges are.

Anyway, I'd go with headphone.

Dec 28, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlee
headphone.com would be the cheapest. Apply the 10% off coupon, and you'd be getting it for somethign like $204 shipped second day.

earsonic/discountheadphones are both selling it for 200, but I'm not sure what their shipping charges are.

Anyway, I'd go with headphone.

Link to cupon? Thanks.

Dec 28, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigma
Use the code headfi04 when you add the purchase to cart.

Thanks! Should be orderin' them on Wednesday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back