ER-6 Seal?
Mar 31, 2004 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

refault

100+ Head-Fier
I don't seem to be getting a perfect seal with my ER-6's (both tri-flanges and foamies.) It seems that I can still hear my speakers playing music (though alot softer) through the canalphones. Also, I've pushed the canalphones in and it dosen't hurt even though I try to push them even further (but they don't go any further.) When playing music I cannot hear much of the speakers though. Am I getting a good seal?

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 9
Your posting is slightly ambigious.

ER-6 cannot block all outside noise. Like any ear plugs, it can only reduce the loudness of outside noise.

Without a good seal, the ER-6 will sound tinny and weak. The ER-6 has a very neutral type of sound and the bass will not be as strong as other earphones. However, the bass should go down deep. Most people find the ER-6 rather bright when they first experience it.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 9
The detail is certianly there (not as much as I expected though.. sadly), and they sound better than my Eggo's. With some EQ'ing I get better bass on them. They kind of sound a bit bad on cymbals/high hats for some reason... Also, I have to push my Karma's volume up to 20-22 or so to get a decent volume... I thought you didn't have to use such a high volume with these cans? Oh well.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 9
etyer6.JPG

Does it look like I'm getting a good seal?

I am getting ear wax on the tri-flangles (some) and it seems like they give me a better seal (harder to take out) than the foamies.

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 9
Um,

It looks from the picture that they are sticking straight out from your head. Unless your ear canal goes straight than you may not be getting all you can from them. My ER-6 housing sits more "flat" against the inner aspect of the ear with the silicon end pointed more toward the back of my head. Try aiming the opening more toward the direction of the ear canal rather than at right angles to the head. But, if you are hearing bass you may be aligned OK.

(This is just a guess as everyone is built a little different)

If you need a "test" take them on a commuter train and listen to something nice for about half an hour. Then remove them and if you are not shocked by the amount of ambient noise they have blocked out your seal is not as effective as it could have been.

One other thing, I think that the modern CD/MP3 portables have really weak amp sections. Someone else pointed out that this was done to extend battery life. My experience is that it is usual to have to turn up the volume to a higher level with the ER-6. My solution was the Red Sound Micro.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 9
They don't sound weak (sound is very natural) though I feel like I have to crank the volume up substantially (18-20/30 with my Karma, no EQ.)

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 9
ER-6 do require some more power even though they are really small. Some people claim that a portable headphone amp can make the bass clearer (but not necessarily fuller). Be careful, its easy to push the ER-6 to dangerous volume levels without knowing because they do not create much distortion. Try to keep the volume listening levels relatively low. The isolation aspect of these earphones can really help you hear details at much lower volumes.

One way in an attempt to get a good fit is to figure out the shape and direction of your ear canal. For me, I have an asymmetric head, like most other human beings. I have ene ear canal that slants back and is relateively level when my eyes are leveled. My other ear canal slants forward and upwards. The left and right earphones fit differently when I wear them. Usually the earphones sit against the bottom rim of my ear, usually poking more forwards.

To reduce wire rubbing noises, loop the wires around the back of your ears.

Keep them away from dust and never put the phones on a dusty surface. When I tkae them off, I usually place them directly into the pouch/container. Don't wear them after a shower until your ears are completely dry. These tips will help you extend the life of your filters.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 9
From what I see... those things are going straight into your head, like towards your brain..
I don't know about that, but ear canal phones tend to point to my eyes when in my ears... that's why the back part of your ear is shaped like that, to reflect sound back the way it should be going. I ain't never seen an earphone go into an ear like that.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 9
I agree, mine kind of go UP and towards the back of my head.

Should the wires go up towards the top of your ears when you wear them around your ears?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back