er-6 Questions.
Sep 9, 2004 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Natsuiro

500+ Head-Fier
I used the search function and found that various members thought that the er-6 lacked bass.
I was wondering if anyone could describe the sound of the er-6s to some of the headphones I've experienced.
I've tried the Sony Canal phones. I forgot the name already but they are right next to me. SL71EX or something like that? can't remember. Do they have significantly less bass than these earphones? I thought the hd-497s lacked bass, would it be like those?

Also I was thinking about getting a pimeta portable. Do you think having the Er-6 ampped would solve this apparent problem?

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 3
I haven't ever had extensive experience with Ety's so someone else can answer that for you.

The earphones you have are the Sony EX71SLs, and yes, oh yes, they definitely have bass. I had them and was happy for a bit... but as I spent more time here, I find that it's a lot boomier, less defined, and void of texture than I would prefer.

Note to commando: please don't kill me, I'm just going by personal experience!!
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 3
I own (and enjoy) both the SONY EX71SL and the Ety ER6. Yes, the ER6 have significantly less bass volume than the EX71SL, and the bass reproduction with the er6 does not extend down to as low frequencies as with the EX71SL. The bass they DO have is well-formed and textured - making its (subtler) presence distinctly felt. The ER6 provide more upper end detail with less upper end edginess/harshness than the EX71SL. I owned the HD497 a few years ago, so this comparison is from memory. I remember the 497 as providing fairly strong bass - nothing to make your spinal chord shake, but a prominent presence. I would say that the er6 bass is less AND better balanced with the rest of the acoustic spectrum than the HD497. The bass is there, but not dominant. Rhythmic bass is felt as a rhythmic stroke of the ear drum rather than as a dominant thump, with texture and intensity rather than volume making its presence felt.

I own the AKG K240S and the AKG K501. If the SONY EX71SL is the K240S, the er6 is the K501. As much as I enjoy the K240S/EX71SL (and for trance, it is THE phone), my ear currently enjoys the sound of the K501/er6 as being more articulate and balanced.

I listen to the er6 with a Headsave Go-Vibe which uses OPA627 opamps, known for their dark, rich sound. The Go-Vibe also adds a visceral quality to the bass - it is bass that is felt as well as heard. With a brighter amp, or no amp, your mileage may vary. I find the Go-Vibe to have a synergy with the EX71SL and the er6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back