ER-6 pain, switch to E2c?
Sep 4, 2003 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

strangequark

New Head-Fier
Hello, all!
I bought a pair of er-6's from headroom and am approaching the end of my 30 day garuntee. I love the way they sound, but only for about an hour or so, at which point the pain from my left ear starts to really get in the way of the music. I tried the rubber tips, which were quite painful, and switched to the foamies, which are better, but still start to hurt after 45min-1 hour. The pain comes from a very small hot spot at the very entrance of my ear canal, and occasionaly the driver body will also irritate the small area of my ear that they contact. They seem to sit in my ear in a very strange way.
So I'm pretty sure I'll send them back, but I'm wondering if I should bother to try the E2's, since the drivers seem to be situated in a much different way and they have different size foamies. Has anyone found them less painful? Or super-comfortable? Do I ask to much of canalphones? The intended purpose for the 'phones is for cross-country flights to and from school, so 2-3 hour listening periods without pain would be a definite plus.
ER-4 are too expensive, so as much as I'd like to, I'll have to pass on trying that one, and (longshot
very_evil_smiley.gif
) I'm also open to cheap, closed, full-size, high-efficiency cans that isolate (much) better than Sony V6's.
Thanks

Sep 4, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 13
I am no expert but I just got the e2s this morning and have been using them for many hours straight with various devices. I find them extremely comfortable with the rubber sleeve and a bit less comfortable but far more insulating with the foam sleeve. So my solution has been to use the rubber sleeve for the daily stuff (all day today). I got the isolations for the plane because I travel alot and will use the foamies on the plane. The foam sleeve is only uncomfortable in that they seem to "push" against my ear canal which kind of feels "tight". I experience no pain whatsoever. The sound is great, I'm just having trouble with the case. Hope that helps.

Sep 11, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 13
I had to sell my ER6s because they simply didn't fit well. I've wanted to get the E2Cs for a while, but am worried I'll have the same problem. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. ^_^

Sep 11, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 13
The E2c's are very, very comfortable, especially when used with the foam fitting. The silicon sleeve fitting can be comfortable as well if you use the right size.

You can optionally, get the tri-flange insert.. but I don't like them.. painful to have something that deep into my ear..

Sep 11, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 13
I had the e2c for 1 day, so I dont know how seriously you should consider my experience.
I tried all the tips but nothing seemed to fit me quite right.
The foamies were more confortable than the rubber sleeves, but the small ones were too small and I couldnt get a good seal, the medium foamies were so tight they were making my ears throb.
After about 1 hour of fiddling I got a good seal and I got a phone call, so I had to take em off and start all over.
Everytime I had a good seal someone wanted to tell me something and I was getting aggravated. All that poking and probing is not for me. I went to bed with them on and I could hear my heart beating due to the pressure, so I took em off and put on my crappy stock Sony's with lots of hiss. I hadnt been this sore since my honeymoon.

Im sure lots of people love em, but if you need to remove them frequently they can be a pain,
The guys at Guitar center couldnt believe I didnt want them, but in my case earphones is not the way to go.
They sounded very nice tho, and im sure this could have improved but I wanted nothing to do with it.

Sep 12, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
The E2c's are very, very comfortable, especially when used with the foam fitting. The silicon sleeve fitting can be comfortable as well if you use the right size.

You can optionally, get the tri-flange insert.. but I don't like them.. painful to have something that deep into my ear..

Actually, there is no tri-flange option for the E2c. The diameter of the nozzle won't allow for them to fit on preperly. And then even if you get one to stay on, the frequency reponse will change due to the added length.

Sep 12, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 13
Sugarfried, correct me if I'm wrong, but you really don't need to insert the E2s too deeply. Basically, what seems to be happening with me is that I'm sealing off the ear canal right at the entrance and the driver sits right at the entrance to the canal. I tried pushing them in too far when I first got them but they were uncomfortable with no increase in sound quality. When I realized that they just need to be gently inserted I was a happy camper.

Sep 15, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #10 of 13
Hey erikzen.
As long as there is a "coupling" to the ear, it will sound the same as if it were inserted deep into the ear. The only change will be the level of isolation, which you've picked up on.
For some people it will be difficult to keep the E2 stable if it is only inserted a little, but that's more based on the shape of the person's ear.
Glad you're happy with your results.

Sep 15, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 13
I just ordered the ER-6 for use under a full face motorcycle helmet. Does any one out there have experience with this and during placement of the helmet, do the plugs dislodge? Please help. Masis

Sep 15, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 13
Hi Masis

I think you may find some problems using the Er6 with a crash helmet as they do stick out of the ear a little. I suspect you may be better off with Shure E2's as I can lay on my side in bed with them (meaning that they sit sufficiently flat in the ear to allow this).

I suspect the ideal phone for wearing under a helmet would be the Sony EX-70/71 as they really do sit flat and feel very comfortable to boot.

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back