ER-6: Isolation in Taiwan Game Room
Feb 27, 2005 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rlmoss

New Head-Fier
I' m in Taiwan and do research and writing at a video game room. Even with ER-6 silicon (plastic) tips fully inserted and sealed, I hear the ambient sound. Etymotic suggested that the foam tip is more isolating.

I'm not finding that so & in fact the black foam tip scratched up skin. Is the small yellow foam tip different? is it softer & does it provide more isolation?

(This makes more sense once you lean that inter-net cafes--really a video game room-- have about 60 workstations, each with its own speaker. Add 60 teenagers plus street noise, house sound, and you get the idea.)

Many thanks,

Richard Moss

Taichung
Taiwan ROC

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, they never provides perfect isolation, and I think the tri-flagles provides the best isolation.

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 9
I spoke with an audiologist about reducing noise as much as possible. I am a graduate student and the library for the program I am in is a very social place. It's so social it's noisy. I asked for something that would reduce noise as much as possible - almost to the point of not being able to hear anything. She told me the only people who experience "no noise" are folks who are 100% deaf (not hearing impaired - just deaf). I'm in the same boat you are - I want major noise reduction it just seems I won't be able to get it. I suppose we could put in some custom earmolds with filters and put on additional hearing protection - that might help. I plan to try the custom earmolds with the etymotic 6i and I will post my experiences here.

Barry

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks everyone. I am playing music through the Etymotics--a 44kbs web feed of Nord Deutsch Rundfunk Kultur. (http://www.ndrkultur.de). There's a point where music is so loud it distracts & also this web-feed cracks up and hisses.

I'm am finding playing Wagner really loud over the speakers pointed at the children has a chilling effect. [see Apocalypse Now where Lt. Kilgore (Robert Duvall) takes a beach with helicopter blarring out Ride of the Valkeyries.]

I am actually curious enough about the sound level to meter the db. Same at the university where I teach. Unbelievable how much ambient noise there is here.

Richard Moss

Taichung Taiwan ROC

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 9
With music on with my er6's I can't hear my roommate talk moderately loud to me about three feet behind me. I had to feel his footsteps to know he was there. The triflanges work great for me, I haven't tried the foam ones. If you want more sound reduction, I'd have to guess that you would have to try custom ear molds. You'll get to a point though where you will hear your heartbeat and tinnitus if you have that.

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 9
If the ER-6 that you have are suplied with the double-flange tips then the triple flanges should provide a little more isolation. Then I would guess the custome ear molds might help a little beyond that. Aditionaly large over the ear muffs or sound deadaning headphones that seal the ear off from the enviornment should help a little as well. All of these should be small incerments. After the etymotic tips there really isn't a lot more isolation that is possible. As may have been stated before there is a limit to how much sound can be dedend when the enviornment around you is filled with it, literaly vibrating everything including your body and skull not just your eardrums...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back