ER-6 CAME!! But.. a few things...
Mar 27, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #16 of 49
Alright, it's the next day. I'm forcing myself (well, not really) to go have a listening session in my living room without the computer.
biggrin.gif

I'll have some more impressions in a bit.

Mar 28, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 49
I con only support what the others say, give the ER6s a chance. Swithing to the foamies made all the difference to me. I like them a lot
etysmile.gif

I wonder how much better the ER4s are...
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 49
I intend to give them a huge chance because i really want to like these.
biggrin.gif
I'm using the foamies right now (my fave) and burning them in with bass-heavy stuff right now. hope that helps a bit.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #21 of 49
Wow!!

I've finally found an incredibly great EQ setting on my karma to make the ER-6 sound very full. It's.. wow. yeah.
biggrin.gif

Another thing i've noticed: Even in FLAC, some recordings i have, like Lostprophets - We Still Kill The Old Way, they sound pretty muddy-ish. I can really tell with my Etys, much more than with my computer speakers.

Edit: I don't want to make another post, so i'm editing this one.

After taking my Ety's out, it seems like my normal hearing is somehow muffled. Also, when i yawn, it feels as if my eardrums are being pushed out , if you will. The same thing happens when i push (very slightly) on the actual phone when it's in my ear; it like snaps back. Have i done something with my ears?
confused.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #22 of 49
Are you listening too loud? Yes, you are. Turn them down or you may be risking injury. Start with a low volume and bring them to a comfortable level after 10-15 minutes. A lower volume will appear louder after a bit of "warm-up" and you will not do as much damage to your ears.

As far as the muddy recordings, the Etymotics are pretty accurate, ergo bad recordings will sound bad and good ones will sound good. In any event you are getting a more accurate representation of the recording than you may have in the past. Higher end headphones are akin to a microscope on the recording process. You will hear details without coloration, different recordings will sound different. You may have moved to another level! (Sorry about your wallet)

Mar 29, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #23 of 49
That's true, i do gradually bring down the volume level on the karma when i'm listening, so i think i may be doing damage. oh crap >_<

I have a lot of mp3s at around 192 kbps, though what i've ripped myself i always put into Ogg at 230kbps, which is pretty good. Should i maybe get a more forgiving headphone? I'd like to enjoy listening to my music.
600smile.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #24 of 49
Hi,

I have the exact same Karma/ER-6 combo and it is pretty amazing sound/isolation. I've clearly become addicted to their clear, crisp sound. Granted, my previous headphones were sony mdr-cd250...
eek.gif

I have small ear canals and have found that the foam tips are much better in terms of comfort -- and sound. As you, discovered that tweaking the Karma EQ makes a big difference. For train/commuting/plane this combo is a dream come true!
etysmile.gif

However, when I'm home I'd like to relax my ear canals a bit (my daily commute is 4 hours both ways!) and have been browsing here for reviews for an additional set of cans to use with my Karma. I'm thinking open headphones about the price of the ER-6 and there are some I have in mind. Any quick and dirty, unbiased recomendations from the experts will be greatly appreciated
icon10.gif

I know, I'm sorry for my wallet too...

Mar 29, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #26 of 49
my main problem is to change the filters every few weeks and these things do not come cheap. also, the er6 does not benefit much from burn-in. the er6 sounds more clinical and sterile than 'full'. i pretty much prefer the sharp md33 over the er6.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by DigDub
my main problem is to change the filters every few weeks and these things do not come cheap.

Every few weeks?!! I don't think you have to do it that frequently. I change the filters in my etys 4S once a year.

Mar 29, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #28 of 49
I change the filters when they appear to no longer pass sound in the same way. The two times this has been required the volume reduction happened in one channel only. I changed both and they sounded like new phones. (This is a treat and I have had the things since Sept 03)

I sort-of agree that the Ety 6 does not need break in. I think that it is more like acclimation where the user needs to get used to what the Ety presents.

I only use the Ety where isolation is required. For home use I would recommend something more comfortable with sound characteristics that can make me forget I'm listening to a headphone and just listen to the music. Lots of phones can fill the bill, and even more with an amp. I don't use the Karma so I don't know what's best. (I use either the Stax SR-404 or Stax SR-003 for home use.)

Mar 29, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
Every few weeks?!! I don't think you have to do it that frequently. I change the filters in my etys 4S once a year.

oh well, maybe every 2-3 months. i hear the er4 requires much less filter changes that the er6.

Mar 29, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #30 of 49
I do try to keep my ears and the eyts clean. I usually get a sticky or itching sensation in my ears after wearing the etys for about an hour or so. It is almost as if I could feel the wax oozing down my ear. When that happens I remove the phones, wrap a kleenex around my pinky and rub off the waxy substance on my outer ear canal.

I've found that this helps keep the silicon tips clean and they require less frequent washing. I assume that it would also help prevent ear wax from dripping into the phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back