ER-4S Tips and their Sound Quality.
Jun 27, 2006 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Xoton

100+ Head-Fier
I've seldom seen posts about the sound quality of the different tips. So I've done my own research.

After a long while, perhaps a year, of using foamies (and loving them) I have switched back to the tri-flange rubber tips. And wow. I think it sounds better. More transparent, more open, and much crisper and cleaner. I know it does. The midrange is not as restricted...it's a much more magical sound. I'm home again!!!

The foamies are really comfy, but I just got tired of rolling them. And they didn't last as long. They definitely seal better, or I should say the block more outside sounds better. But I suspect their spongy properties affected the sound. They also have a long plastic tube in them that extends well past the phone tip. This tube I think did the most to affect the sound. Perhaps giving a more reflective and constraining sound quality. Sucking a little of the mids and making the highs not as crisp.

Now with the tri-flanges the mid ranges and highs sound so much more transparent, like they're not being phoned in, but rather existing around me, naturally. They're so clean sounding. The best way I can describe it, is the sounds appear to imaged around me better -- transparent -- from the source or earphone, and everything sounds natural.

It's so easy to put these in too. I'm a fan of the flange!
etysmile.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 23
That's been my experience also. Foamies are comfortable, but they just don't sound as good to my ears (or should I say ear canals) as the triflanges.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 23
I have to say that the Ety foamies sound better to my ears than the triflanges. They're more balanced, produce better bass, and certainly provide a superior seal in my canals to the silicon. Plus, I don't have to lick 'em.
icon10.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Plus, I don't have to lick 'em.
icon10.gif

lick'em baby, you know you wanna
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

I find the bi-flanges to be most comfy for me, seal well, and are better hygenically. Besides, they last forever.

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 23
True, the bi-flange seems to fit better. Instead of buying the larger bi-flange, I cut off the tip of a pair of 3-flange's.
Found I still enjoyed snug insert & good seal like the three w/ only 2 (less obtrusive).

Drawback: sometimes I will insert the phone too deep, allowing the back flange to bend, creating a pocket that broke the seal.

Right now: experimenting between between the two of them.

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Plus, I don't have to lick 'em.
icon10.gif

IEM noob question: Is this a joke or something that IEM users really do?

Jun 27, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure

it is a matter of taste [size=xx-small](pun intended . . .hey someone woulda said it sooner or later)[/size]
icon10.gif

Actually using a lubricant is a good way to get a great seal and prevent ear irritation. There is a product for this (actually primarily for hearing aids) called 'Otto-ease' if I recall.
Some just use spit.
eek.gif

Oh, and if you don't mind all the jokes you will probably get, K-Y (of K-Y Jelly fame) has a liquid lube that will work also.

Jun 27, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 23
I just went back to the foamies after a year or two of the flanges just to compare them like you are doing.

Foamies - Sound slightly better by creating more sound isolation (blocking out outside sound). But I don't like rolling them and I don't like putting them in my ears. And they wear out quickly.

Flange - My favorite. Easier to put in, sound fine, not missing too much vs. the foamies. Last longer, don't hurt my ears after long wear.

ER tips (maybe most people already know these):

1. Flange cleaning - Soak them overnight in hyrdogen peroxide once/week.
2. Microphonic solution - Put a twisty tie around the cable about 6 inches above the place where the clip goes (where the green nodule thing is). Put the phones in your ears, and then wrap the cable around your ears. Then pull the twisty tie up until the tightness meets your comfort level and amount of head motion without pulling too much. This works VERY well for me.

Jun 27, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure

Don't do it while eating Thai food, peanut butter, tiramisu, Red Bull. Don't lick your foamies.

Seriously, water helps, but a thread a couple months back convinced me licking 3-flanges wasn't the greatest idea.

Jun 27, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick
2. Microphonic solution - Put a twisty tie around the cable about 6 inches above the place where the clip goes (where the green nodule thing is). Put the phones in your ears, and then wrap the cable around your ears. Then pull the twisty tie up until the tightness meets your comfort level and amount of head motion without pulling too much. This works VERY well for me.

somebody shd tell the Radiohead guy

Jun 28, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 23
I use the tri-flange at the office because of convenience of taking them on and off to answer the phone or visitors. However I find the sound with the foamies better, more bass, isolation, and punch.

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #13 of 23
I wasn't crazy about the triflanges, they were hard to put in, and the largest flange always sticked out. I'll probably get another pair and try to do a bi one. I didn't mind the foamies, but they do get dirty easy. I wouldn't spit on mine, that's just asking for saliva in the drivers.

Jun 28, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I wouldn't spit on mine, that's just asking for saliva in the drivers.

Only if you hack up a great big loogie on 'em.
icon10.gif

You don't actually SPIT ON the triflange. You slightly moisten the end of a finger then rub it on the tip, making it much easier to insert and achieve a good seal.

Jun 28, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #15 of 23
So, basically you give yourself a wet willy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back