ER-4S and SE530 "Ideal" Amp
Jan 27, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, it's been my experience that Shure takes good care of it's customers. I've sent microphones back to them for repair after they were LONG out of warranty, and Shure replaced or repaired them at no charge. I would hope the SE530's would warrant similar attention?

Well... lucky you.... at least in the past. I don't know if I would expect such service with the SE530s. I think they had enough problems with the SE530's that they must have quit offering extended service.... at least for the SE530s (????) My Shure headphones were only about 3-4 months out of warranty. And considering how much I babied them - I would have thought obvious from the pristine condition, and considering the "KNOWN" issues with the cables, I would have thought they would cover mine as well. But, they did not "Cover" them. They did allow me to repurchase at a discounted rate. But, considering how much I spent originally and then the replacement costs and how well I took care of the originals, I was and still am disappointed. I don't even use them that much per week. Maybe 3-5 hours per week average. My cost of ownership per use is so high I could have purchased $1,000 customs - since I would expect them to last (along with the "Reasonable" life-span of all of my other comparable electronic devices. ANY and ALL "Speakers", headphones and similar I have ever had have lasted a LONG time - MANY years.... until the Shure SE530s). Further, my replacements have a problem with a static buzz in the right monitor.
frown.gif
The static is only with certain tones and I don't hear it often, but when I do it is like a bee in my ear. And similar to anticipating a bee in my ear, now I am always looking for it - waiting for it like a sting or electrical shock.
frown.gif

I will have to send these back. This time since I have only had about 6 weeks, I expect them to take care of it. But, I am again disappointed that I will have to be without any decent earphones for probably 2 more weeks as they require you to return the ones in your possession before they ship replacements.
frown.gif

Quote:

Oh yes, the mids! Lush, but really articulate. This is a different presentation than the Ety's and I am quite enjoying myself! It took me but a few minutes (and a glance at the instruction book...I'm a girl, I read those things!) to figure out the "proper" way to "wear" the SE530's, but once I did...WOW!!!

I do have to say I really like the sound of my SE530's. (Current right ear occassional buzz not included). But, in regards to instructions, I guess I am a "Guy" and to hard-headed (probably more impatient) to read instructions.
redface.gif
I would have probably enjoyed my SE530s more in the beginning had I taken the time to read and understand how they were supposed to fit and be seated in my ears. I went a couple of weeks before understanding the cables needed to go "over" my ears. Made a big difference.
redface.gif

--------------

As for amps, I recently acquired a D10.... Already suggested by others multiple times. I don't have a lot of experience with different amps out there, but I can EASILY vouch for the improvement the D10 made over a basic iPod Classic.
I used the D10 with mini connector to the iPod Classic for a few weeks and really appreciated it. The sound with the D10 was significantly improved over just the iPod by itself. But, with the iPod, you are only using the amp from the D10 - Not the D10's DAC. I recently purchased an iRiver H140 with optical out, then ordered a custom optical cable (short to fit), NOW the whole package is really starting to shine. With the optical out from the H140, I am now able to utilize the D10's onboard DAC along with the D10's amp all via a digital source signal. The sound is incredible!

But, purchasing a D10, a H140 and a custom optical cable has added up. I am probably in for another $450 - $480 or so for those three components. But, I should now be able to turn around and sell my iPod Classic for about $150 +/- to about recoup the cost I spent for the H140 = about a wash. So, my remaining "Net" cost is about $225 - $240 or so for a D10 + I spent about $70 or so (shipped) for the Custom Sysconcept optical cable. Where you might be able to get away with a $20 optical cable option (????). The end cost isn't bad at all. And considering some portable amps cost that much and MORE alone, I doubt any of them likely sound as good out of an iPod vs. the D10 with it's DAC fed by an optical source.

The combo is a bit heavier than I would prefer, but considering what you get, I don't think it is too bad. The D10 and H140 are both about the same width and height as an iPod classic, but they are "each" a bit thicker than the iPod.

My iPod is about 9/16" thick by itself.
The D10 is close to 7/8".
And the H140 is about 15/16".
With the velco holding the two together, the combined thickness is right at 2.0" thick.

The height of the iPod classic (considered "Large" by some now days) is about 4.0" tall.
While the primary "body" height and width are about the same for all 3 units, with the volume knob and "Tiny" optical cable at the bottom the H140/D10 combo is ultimately about 5.125" tall and requires a larger "pouch" for portable carry.

The iPod is pretty dense weight for it's thin size at about 5.5 ounces.
The combo is about 3.5 times thicker, but less dense in weight. Still, the combo weighs about 12.5 ounces (about 2.25 times more weight).

Not light-weight compared to other options - considering an iPod Nano weighs about 1.28 ounces and the newest little Shuffle only weighs 0.38 ounces (althought the new Shuffle is too small to compare and doesn't include a screen or ANY controls
confused_face(1).gif
- I consider the new Shuffle pretty worthless) Still, most newer DAPs weigh less than an ounce or two. No doubt, all the kids love the pretty screens, video players and funky colored cases and such, but I like the "sound" of the heavy combo.
icon10.gif

Ultimately, any way you slice it the H140/D10 combo makes the iPod Classic small and easy to carry. But, to me, the "Sound" of the combo makes even the the iPod Classic (large and heavy by many standards) seem barely worth carrying. Depends on your needs and wants.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #47 of 58
Oh, you "Guy"s!!! ;~)

Thanks for that detailed response! I read it over several times before offering any comments. And they're only comments!

I thought about the "benevolent" Shure I've dealt with, and it dawned on me that I use their pro-audio gear, and deal with the pro-audio side of the Shure house. Like most pro-audio manufacturers and dealers, their support is excellent. It seems as if the pro-sumer and consumer side of the house is less supportive? You know, Etymotic charges for repairs, as well. <sigh>

I've been eyeing the D10 (and other amp/DACs). I didn't realize that there were portable players (other than the obvious, and some older CD players) that featured digital outs! I could see using it as a D to A for a laptop, but with this new realization you've got me researching iRiver products and their brethren. I'm looking into the possibility of digital out from an iPod, but I don't think (due to the scheme and format Apple uses) that that is possible. I may be wrong!

Oh - I have my Mini3 ready for testing. I was surprised to find a pair of Schottky diodes in the kit, with just a mention of them on the BOM, but no position on the schematic or board. I assume they replace D3 and D4, but not knowing for sure caused me to leave them out. Other than that, it's a nice (little) kit!

~~~~Sara

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

I thought about the "benevolent" Shure I've dealt with, and it dawned on me that I use their pro-audio gear, and deal with the pro-audio side of the Shure house. Like most pro-audio manufacturers and dealers, their support is excellent. It seems as if the pro-sumer and consumer side of the house is less supportive? You know, Etymotic charges for repairs, as well. <sigh>

That may be the case. Maybe the "Pro" side offers better support.
Some have criticized my dissappointment against Shure not doing more to cover my SE530's. Some feel that they had a 2 year warranty, mine were out of warranty, such is life.
My perspective might be wrong, but it is my opinion. I purchased my SE530s based on very positive reviews and descriptions of the sound signature that indicated something I would be interested in. In regards to sound, I have been pretty happy. But, even when I purchased my SE530's, there were quite a few reports regarding wire failures. At the time, I thought I had read quite a few posts of Shure going out of their way to help address the "Known" problem. So, I felt secure in my purchase. If I had other problems out of warranty, I would more likely write it off as bad luck. But, my problems were wire related and unfortunately didn't occur until just after my warranty expired (3-4 months after).
Considering I had read about and knew about the wire issues prior to purchasing, I put a LOT of extra effort into babying and taking care of my earphones and their wires. WAY more than I normally would do and I am "Normally" even extremely careful and particular about pretty much all of my "stuff" anyway. Considering "both": how well I had taken care of the phones - which I thought would be obvious from the "Mint" condition they were in - AND the "FACT" that Shure had a "KNOWN" issue on their hands about shipping their earphones with faulty wires, I had hoped and set incorrect expectations in my head that they would "Honor" the warranty a little longer.
In my mind, considering how expensive the SE530's are and that the SE530's are Shures TOP of the line iem's, I would think they would be classified as "Pro" gear or at least get "Pro" level of treatment. I would be wrong on all counts.

Quote:

I've been eyeing the D10 (and other amp/DACs). I didn't realize that there were portable players (other than the obvious, and some older CD players) that featured digital outs! I could see using it as a D to A for a laptop, but with this new realization you've got me researching iRiver products and their brethren. I'm looking into the possibility of digital out from an iPod, but I don't think (due to the scheme and format Apple uses) that that is possible. I may be wrong!

I don't think you are going to find an optical out option for the iPods. I am not near the expert some of the others around here are, but I have researched and read through the posts made by the more knowledgeable people here to improve my knowledge.

From what I can gather, the iRiver H120 and H140 (aka: iHP120 & iHP140) are the two best options for optical out DAP's. I couldn't get good confirmation, but there may have been 1 or 2 other much more obscure options for optical out DAPs (????). In any event, those more knowledgeable than myself seem to highly favor the H120/H140 as an optical DAP option. So, that is what I went for. They are not easy to find or come by. They ocassionally pop up on eBay in various conditions and prices.

*** Worth noting, if you purchase a used H120/H140, the batteries ARE replaceable - unlike iPods! - Further, the hard drives can be replaced with other hard drives and even Flash drive options!!! - 32gb flash drives are reasonably priced and can be easily adapted and fit to replace the hard drives on the H120/H140 - unlike iPods!

I was VERY lucky in being able to get a refurbished one from iRiver directly and at a pretty reasonable refurbished price of $150. Decent condition versions seem to sell for about $150 - $250 on eBay. But, iRiver apparently doesn't come across them much anymore. They were discontinued a few years back now. The H140 was replaced by (I think) the H320 or something, but they also dropped the optical out when they dropped the H140. So, newer versions don't have optical out.

The H120/H140 do not have a fancy screen or interface. And as I showed in the picture and specs above, they are a little on the thick side. The screen is simple text info in gray lettering - no color. Not the easiest to read, but plenty functional for my purposes. Everyone HIGHLY recommends upgrading the firmware to Rockbox. Apparently, Rockbox provides a WAY more user friendly interface. I have only had my H140 for about 5 weeks now and JUST got it working. So, I have not upgraded to Rockbox yet - wanted to confirm working while under my 90 day refurbished warranty. I will upgrade to Rockbox soon. To make my H140 functional, I had to order a custom optical cable (custom made to fit - and the cable with Mini to Toslink connectors is not common) and then I had to upgrade the factory firmware for it to work with the D10. Most people didn't have a problem with their firmware. And the actual upgrade process was VERY easy. But, it took me a bit of research and help from other forum members here to figure out what the problem was.

Personally, I hate using iTunes. I feel iTunes is rediculous and a waste of time to convert my MP3 files to AAC. I do NOT appreciate Apple requiring users to always connect with their "system", download their software, upload files, convert files, save seperate files, etc. ALL A WASTE!
Further, I will NEVER purchase AAC files online. I don't want proprietary AAC files. I want universally accepted files = MP3 files.
I have quite a few hundred CD's and rip my songs into FLAC and MP3 via EAC. Why mess up my system to suit and trap myself into Apples "Control".
There are PLENTY of retailers online where I can purchase more universally accepted MP3 downloads.
I don't like being controlled and don't like Apple "trying" to force their control. So, I don't want AAC files. I don't want WMA files for similar reasons. But, it appears to me Apple is being worse about "Forcing" AAC down your throat.
mad.gif

I have owned an iPod Classic for about 3 years and while it offers some nice features, a well built, attractive and quite impressive device, but I am VERY happy to get away from it - mostly because of iTunes/AAC files.
But, even MORE excited to have found an iPod replacement option that offers even better sound - even if it requires a seperate DAC/Amp to reach optimal sound.
redface.gif

With the H140, I plug the unit to my computer with USB, my computer views the H140 as a seperate external hard drive, and I can just "SIMPLY" drag and drop files..... As I have ALWAYS wanted!!!!
wink.gif
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #49 of 58
My Mini3 arrived day before yesterday, and it's now built and humming merrily along. No issues!

The sound? Excellent with the SE530s, bright with the Ety's. More to follow...

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That may be the case. Maybe the "Pro" side offers better support.
Some have criticized my disappointment against Shure not doing more to cover my SE530's. Some feel that they had a 2 year warranty, mine were out of warranty, such is life.
My perspective might be wrong, but it is my opinion. I purchased my SE530s based on very positive reviews and descriptions of the sound signature that indicated something I would be interested in. In regards to sound, I have been pretty happy. But, even when I purchased my SE530's, there were quite a few reports regarding wire failures. At the time, I thought I had read quite a few posts of Shure going out of their way to help address the "Known" problem. So, I felt secure in my purchase. If I had other problems out of warranty, I would more likely write it off as bad luck. But, my problems were wire related and unfortunately didn't occur until just after my warranty expired (3-4 months after).
Considering I had read about and knew about the wire issues prior to purchasing, I put a LOT of extra effort into babying and taking care of my earphones and their wires. WAY more than I normally would do and I am "Normally" even extremely careful and particular about pretty much all of my "stuff" anyway. Considering "both": how well I had taken care of the phones - which I thought would be obvious from the "Mint" condition they were in - AND the "FACT" that Shure had a "KNOWN" issue on their hands about shipping their earphones with faulty wires, I had hoped and set incorrect expectations in my head that they would "Honor" the warranty a little longer.
In my mind, considering how expensive the SE530's are and that the SE530's are Shures TOP of the line iem's, I would think they would be classified as "Pro" gear or at least get "Pro" level of treatment. I would be wrong on all counts.

You make a good argument. Based on it, I would expected Shure to honor the warranty, or least give you a repair at no cost to you. No question, the SE530's are expensive. For that asking price (even street prices are high) they should have "gold level" support. I'll watch mine carefully for any wiring problems.

Quote:

I don't think you are going to find an optical out option for the iPods. I am not near the expert some of the others around here are, but I have researched and read through the posts made by the more knowledgeable people here to improve my knowledge.

There may not be one. If there is, I'm sure it's a proprietary bit stream of some sort.

Quote:

From what I can gather, the iRiver H120 and H140 (aka: iHP120 & iHP140) are the two best options for optical out DAP's. I couldn't get good confirmation, but there may have been 1 or 2 other much more obscure options for optical out DAPs (????). In any event, those more knowledgeable than myself seem to highly favor the H120/H140 as an optical DAP option. So, that is what I went for. They are not easy to find or come by. They ocassionally pop up on eBay in various conditions and prices.

Of course they don't make them any more!!! Way of the world, isn't it? Do away with the feature laden product in favor of the profit laden product! Well, my eyes are now open for them on eBay, but frankly, I'll have to wait. I have my money targeted elsewhere.

Quote:

*** Worth noting, if you purchase a used H120/H140, the batteries ARE replaceable - unlike iPods! - Further, the hard drives can be replaced with other hard drives and even Flash drive options!!! - 32gb flash drives are reasonably priced and can be easily adapted and fit to replace the hard drives on the H120/H140 - unlike iPods!

Nice!!!!

Quote:

I was VERY lucky in being able to get a refurbished one from iRiver directly and at a pretty reasonable refurbished price of $150. Decent condition versions seem to sell for about $150 - $250 on eBay. But, iRiver apparently doesn't come across them much anymore. They were discontinued a few years back now. The H140 was replaced by (I think) the H320 or something, but they also dropped the optical out when they dropped the H140. So, newer versions don't have optical out.

The H120/H140 do not have a fancy screen or interface. And as I showed in the picture and specs above, they are a little on the thick side. The screen is simple text info in gray lettering - no color. Not the easiest to read, but plenty functional for my purposes. Everyone HIGHLY recommends upgrading the firmware to Rockbox. Apparently, Rockbox provides a WAY more user friendly interface. I have only had my H140 for about 5 weeks now and JUST got it working. So, I have not upgraded to Rockbox yet - wanted to confirm working while under my 90 day refurbished warranty. I will upgrade to Rockbox soon. To make my H140 functional, I had to order a custom optical cable (custom made to fit - and the cable with Mini to Toslink connectors is not common) and then I had to upgrade the factory firmware for it to work with the D10. Most people didn't have a problem with their firmware. And the actual upgrade process was VERY easy. But, it took me a bit of research and help from other forum members here to figure out what the problem was.

Personally, I hate using iTunes. I feel iTunes is ridiculous and a waste of time to convert my MP3 files to AAC. I do NOT appreciate Apple requiring users to always connect with their "system", download their software, upload files, convert files, save separate files, etc. ALL A WASTE!
Further, I will NEVER purchase AAC files online. I don't want proprietary AAC files. I want universally accepted files = MP3 files.
I have quite a few hundred CD's and rip my songs into FLAC and MP3 via EAC. Why mess up my system to suit and trap myself into Apples "Control".
There are PLENTY of retailers online where I can purchase more universally accepted MP3 downloads.
I don't like being controlled and don't like Apple "trying" to force their control. So, I don't want AAC files. I don't want WMA files for similar reasons. But, it appears to me Apple is being worse about "Forcing" AAC down your throat.
mad.gif

I have owned an iPod Classic for about 3 years and while it offers some nice features, a well built, attractive and quite impressive device, but I am VERY happy to get away from it - mostly because of iTunes/AAC files.
But, even MORE excited to have found an iPod replacement option that offers even better sound - even if it requires a separate DAC/Amp to reach optimal sound.
redface.gif

With the H140, I plug the unit to my computer with USB, my computer views the H140 as a seperate external hard drive, and I can just "SIMPLY" drag and drop files..... As I have ALWAYS wanted!!!!
wink.gif
beerchug.gif

I'm ambivalent about iTunes. I do very little downloading of music. I have a large CD and vinyl library and I've never cared for compression schemes, no matter how good it is, used on music I want to really listen to. Everything on my iPod is Redbook Standard - 44.1/16 WAV or AIFF.

I question Apple's secretive and controlling demeanor, as well. In the company's beginning, it was a philosophy they had to ensure product quality. You can't fault that, but as they've gotten bigger, that corporate mindset has caused Apple to do some questionable things, and in the process, rankle a fair number of people. I can understand where you're coming from on this, believe me.

The H140 works like most recorders I've seen! Cool!

My PCM D50, although not intended for playback, does a very job in that role. It's too big to carry around, and unless I'm going be sitting in one place for a long period, I don't use it (I do for recording, though). It has light pipe (mini) I/O, line in, line out and has excellent ADA conversion. The headphone amp is very good, too...but not terribly powerful. It can be connected to a Mac or Windows OS, and it shows up as an external drive - drag and drop! It records to WAV only, but it will play back MP3, too. Nothing else, though.

~~~~Sara

Enjoy that H140. One day I too may have one!

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #51 of 58
Since you have your "money targeted elsewhere", it might not be of interest "right now", but for reference purposes, you might be interested to know that the iRiver H120/H140 plays MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WAV and WMA (non-DRM) format files.

However, if upgraded to Rockbox, the iRiver can apparently support of over 15 audio codecs, including Ogg and FLAC.

I don't know much about the PCM D50. A quick search shows it to be some sort of recording device. As you say, the H140 does have multiple recording cababilities including voice. I don't know how it compares to teh PCM D50 and I haven't even tried the H140 for voice recording yet. So, I couldn't give you any worthwhile info about recording quality. Sorry.
I don't have much use for such a device. I purchased a digital recorder years ago to record thoughts while driving and such, but I ended up not using it much. I have the capability on my Blackberry, but I have never used it on that either. However, I can appreciate where many may have a use for such a device.

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #52 of 58
I bought it to use with my location recording company (if you want to call it a company!). I intended to use it for interviews, recording spoken word, and recording rehearsals for music directors. Many folks use it for Foley effects gathering, recording nature sounds, ENG, and other "spot" recording. It's a high quality field recording device (the mics are just okay, though) aimed at pro audio users. It's NOT intended to be a personal music playback toy!

I'm sure the difference in recording quality between the H140 and the PCM D50 is fairly audible, but playback, especially through the lightpipe using an external DAC? I'd bet it's a wash.

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #53 of 58
Oh...I forgot...I LIKE the fact that the iRiver will play back all those different formats. Way nice!!!!!!

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Thank you again, and tell me once more why you sold your ER-4S for 4P's???
wink_face.gif

~~~~Sara

Hi Sara and sorry for the later reply, I have not visited HF since the 26th. At the time I sold the ER4S I was getting away from IEM's and into transportable gear using full size cans for the office. Later I wanted to get buy back an Etymotic and found an amazing deal on the ER4P and bought them. I still think the ER4S sounds better though. FWIW the Ety IMO sound better than the Sure (had the SE500)
icon10.gif
. Cheers and enjoy the Mini3 it is a very nice sounding amp.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Sara and sorry for the later reply, I have not visited HF since the 26th. At the time I sold the ER4S I was getting away from IEM's and into transportable gear using full size cans for the office. Later I wanted to get buy back an Etymotic and found an amazing deal on the ER4P and bought them. I still think the ER4S sounds better though. FWIW the Ety IMO sound better than the Sure (had the SE500)
icon10.gif
. Cheers and enjoy the Mini3 it is a very nice sounding amp.

Thank you, Miguel!

I'm finding the Mini3 and the se530's have real synergy. They match up really, really well. The Ety ER-4S not so much - but I do believe the tips are worn out and I'm not getting a good seal. I'll have "honest comments" about the Ety/Mini3 combo when I can be sure all is optimum. I've been using my Senn HD280Pro cans, as well. Ho-hum....

As for the Mini3 itself, well, superlatives. I know there are better out there (there certainly is in desktop land), but I'm impressed so far. It's dead quiet, it's very clean, powerful, and it articulates bass very, very well. Nothing "rounded" down there at all! The biggest thing is the smallest thing - I'm still getting used to how tiny it is!

Cheers, Miguel, and thanks again!

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #56 of 58
I'm currently using an iBasso D10 with BG caps and a Topkit. It matches very well with my ER4P, giving it warmth. Then I upgraded to APS ER4P cable. The APS cable smooths the ER4P highs while retaining its lows.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using an iBasso D10 with BG caps and a Topkit. It matches very well with my ER4P, giving it warmth. Then I upgraded to APS ER4P cable. The APS cable smooths the ER4P highs while retaining its lows.

I'm hearing a lot of good reports on the iBasso D10/Etymotic combo. It seems an almost universally praised system.

I'm quite enjoying my Mini3. One of the really fun things about new audio gear, and it doesn't matter how long I've been doing this or what the gear is, is getting to know it. Getting a mental imprint of it's audio signature, learning it's voice. That little ritual will never, ever get old! Unlike me....did I say that?

Some would say that the ideal amplifier is a straight wire with gain. What goes in comes out, just louder. I've heard a lot of gear in my day that comes close to doing that, but in reality, most everything imparts it's signature, coloration, to an audio signal. Microphones do, mic preamps do, cables can, A to D converters do...on down the chain. Part of the chase is selecting gear that either compliments or at least doesn't alter significantly the recording on playback or during the capture. It's all about opinion, really, and it's almost wholly subjective. Audiophiles will argue about what the "the absolute sound" is and spend thousands upon thousands chasing it, while recording engineers and producers either try to color the recording or keep it as faithful to the performance depending upon genre (and the space it was recorded in) as they can. So many variables! But, guess what - there are variables in how gear sounds, so we can be selective in our subjectivity and listen to gear that gives us a representation that we find pleasing.

Who's on first???

Sorry, I didn't mean to expound!

I have come in just a matter of a little over a week to really liking my se530's. Yes, they're colored, but their coloration is very pleasing, very seductive. My, do they have some bass weight, especially with a little horsepower behind them. If they just weren't so darn hard to fit properly!

~~~~Sara

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I hate using iTunes. I feel iTunes is rediculous and a waste of time to convert my MP3 files to AAC. I do NOT appreciate Apple requiring users to always connect with their "system", download their software, upload files, convert files, save seperate files, etc. ALL A WASTE!
mad.gif

I'm not a fan of iTunes and I use MediaMonkey personally, but iTunes does not have to transcode to AAC it can put mp3s on the iPod. I would never consider a lossy to lossy transcode acceptable.

Also while I would never purchase any lossy music, AAC is a better format than MP3 and pretty much everything supports it. It is a more efficient coding algorithm and better sounding at every bitrate vis a vis MP3.

I generally rip to both FLAC and Nero AAC. I keep a library of both. I would generate and keep an MP3 library (from the FLACs of course) but I haven't had the need yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back