ER-4S and SE530 "Ideal" Amp
Jan 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #16 of 58
D4 Mamba with SE530's, for the price nothing comes close in my experience plus you get a DAC thrown in too. I had the Hornet and it did match well with the 530's too but it is more money.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 58
I need to start somewhere, so I just ordered a Mini3 kit from Glass Jar. I think I'll be happy with it, but I still intend to search and learn. Curious, this girl is!

Thanks, all ~~~~ Sara Lynn

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #18 of 58
As an aside, the SE530s did come today. I did cursory listen through my 160GB iPod Classic and then through the headphone out on my Alesis Masterlink (of a live performance I recorded this past Sunday). First off, they don't seal correctly, and I know I need to fix that - there's lots of tips in the bag! Second, they're bigger than I thought, but that's just an observation, not an issue. They are beautifully packaged and made.

The sound was not quite what I expected, from I'd read, anyway. They certainly are considerably more efficient than my Ety ER-4S, and were quite loud right out of the gate. I had to turn the iPod way down! But, they were not as smooth as I'd read, not were they as euphonic. I noticed some white noise from the iPod between music passages - something I'd never heard with Ety's. I also noticed some upper midrange harshness from the iPod, but that was not present from the Masterlink, so I doubt it was the IEM. The midrange is quite forward; the SE530 does not sound reticent at all! Compared to the Ety's it is really in your face. I didn't play any really bass heavy music, but what I did play told me that the SE530 has some upper bass warmth, but not really any more bass weight than the Ety's do. I suspect an amp might change that - as it would with the Ety's.

So - a quickie listen, and, my take? The Ety's are, to me, more accurate, analytical if you will, and the SE530 is more efficient and "bigger" sounding. I'm looking forward to getting to know them!

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #19 of 58
A short (I hope!) addendum to my previous post.

I've put tips on my SE530's that suit me, got the things into my ears properly and have been MESMERIZED for the last hour. OMG.....

I started with Lyle Lovett's "Joshua Judges Ruth" (recorded by George Massenburg), which is a lossless WAV file I put on the 160GB iPod. Nuanced. Delicate. Detailed. Warm. Lots of clean, powerful bass, punchy when it needs to be, quite palpable. Seductive mids. Clean, clean highs, slightly rolled off, with plenty of sparkle and attack. Lyle's voice was smooth, breathy, I could hear him breathing, hear his tongue on his palate....everything I knew should be there, was there. I followed that with Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", another lossless wav file. Yup. Same thing. All there! Smoooth....smmmooooothhh!!!!

They are euphonic, warm, and the forward mids I heard, along with the upper mid harshness, is not there now they are fitted to me correctly. I do suspect that these things are ruthlessly revealing and the source better be good.

They're every bit as good as the Ety's, but voiced differently.

I like these SE530's!!

Now, gimme an amp....

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #20 of 58
Sarals,

I don't know if it is true or not, but I remember when I first got my SE530's reading some people mention them needing burn in time (?????).

I don't know for sure. When I got mine, they were my first IEM's and I didn't have them fit or positioned properly.

Over a few weeks worth of using, I got to where I understood the fit needed and proper positioning of the SE530. I really noticed that tilting up and down and even the "Exact" rotational alignment all made a difference.

Once in just right, they sound AWESOME.

I also notice (personally) they really shine with jazz type music. Clear tight sounds.

I wish they had a bit more defined bass, but they are greato (IMO) for everything else.
As you have probably read and noticed by now, the mids are incredible.

Unfortunately though, I am on my second pair. My cables (along with many others) finally gave after "Just" over 2 years.

I knew of the cable issues when I purchased, so I went WAY out of my way to baby the SE530 's and I am very careful with my electronics to begin with. So, I was dissappointed in them not lasting longer.
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #21 of 58
DDW, thank you for that!

My Ety's are a good six years old (or more) and they're just fine. They've stood up very well. I do hope I don't have cable issues or anything else with the Shures. However, it's been my experience that Shure takes good care of it's customers. I've sent microphones back to them for repair after they were LONG out of warranty, and Shure replaced or repaired them at no charge. I would hope the SE530's would warrant similar attention?

Oh yes, the mids! Lush, but really articulate. This is a different presentation than the Ety's and I am quite enjoying myself! It took me but a few minutes (and a glance at the instruction book...I'm a girl, I read those things!) to figure out the "proper" way to "wear" the SE530's, but once I did...WOW!!!

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 58
Why NOT for the Minibox E+--you said in the initial post "nothing from 3 stones? This amp was designed around the Ety, has the bass-boost switch and the PtoS switch tochange the Ety sound. In other words, the amp has the Ety in mind. Will also drive other IEMs. Suggest you check out Mrarroyo's review of the Minibox before you dismiss it. And yes, a happy Minibox/Ety user.

That aside, would also look at the iBasso D4 that is also getting raves here.

And I would NEVER consider purchasing a Xin amp, unless you know your way around electronics. What happens if the thing breaks?? Who's gonna fix it?? Plus I believe technology has improved over the past couple years and you may be paying a premium for outdated technology--but this last is solely my opinion

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why NOT for the Minibox E+--you said in the initial post "nothing from 3 stones? This amp was designed around the Ety, has the bass-boost switch and the PtoS switch tochange the Ety sound. In other words, the amp has the Ety in mind. Will also drive other IEMs. Suggest you check out Mrarroyo's review of the Minibox before you dismiss it. And yes, a happy Minibox/Ety user.

That aside, would also look at the iBasso D4 that is also getting raves here.

And I would NEVER consider purchasing a Xin amp, unless you know your way around electronics. What happens if the thing breaks?? Who's gonna fix it?? Plus I believe technology has improved over the past couple years and you may be paying a premium for outdated technology--but this last is solely my opinion

I did read Mrarroyo's review, thanks! I also read other reviews plus looked at photos and ended up in the "I'd rather not, thanks" ranks based on my perception of build quality. Just my preference.

I am not considering a Xin amp. I read all that, too! I've been involved in pro audio too long and have been burned too many times to allow it to happen again.

I am considering (and madly researching) iBasso products. The D4 and D10 have really piqued my interest! I'd love to hear them.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #25 of 58
L3000.gif

I haven't had this little gem for all that long, so I'm not terribly used to it. That's why I didn't load any wav files on to it until today. I'm using it with my SE530's right now, and...ummm...wow? I'd say the same thing for the ER-4S. It has a clean, powerful headphone amp built in to it. It will play back (and record) wav files up 96/24.

Oh, it's a Sony PCM D50 field recorder. I bought it to use for "safety tracks" when I'm recording rehearsals or interviews. It makes a pretty fine portable player - hardly it's intention!

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #26 of 58
Hello Sara and welcome aboard. The Etymotic ER4P or ER4S has been one of my favorite IEM for years and I still enjoy it even though there are "newer and bigger and better" units nowadays.

I too feel that Xin's amps have an special synergy w/ the Etymotic but as stated earlier he is no longer available and buying used although an option may leave you w/ an amp that may not be repairable should it fail.

Ray makes various amps that match well w/ the Etymotic like: SR71, The Hornet, P51, etc. Another would be the Mini 3 or the MiniBox-E+. Personally I would look for an used MiniBox-E+ and if after two weeks one does not come available then buy it new for about $225. Good luck.

Edit 1: You could sell your ER4S and buy ER4P and not need an amp!
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Sara and welcome aboard. The Etymotic ER4P or ER4S has been one of my favorite IEM for years and I still enjoy it even though there are "newer and bigger and better" units nowadays.

<snip>

Edit 1: You could sell your ER4S and buy ER4P and not need an amp!
wink.gif

Hi, Miguel, and thank you!

Yes, I could sell my ER-4S! Oh, yes!
ksc75smile.gif

I am impressed with the SE530 and I can well understand, now, why it is a favorite. It does meld well with an (ampless) iPod, and with my PCM D50 it is almost awesome. The Ety is a solid performer, though, and I intend to use it as I always have, during my recording gigs. It is superlative (IMHO) in that role!

I've read some of your posts regarding the MiniBox E+, and they caused me to look further into that piece. I appreciate your advice in trying to find a used one, and I will! I do have a Mini3 kit on the way, and I'm looking forward to firing it up.

Thank you again, and tell me once more why you sold your ER-4S for 4P's???
wink_face.gif

~~~~Sara

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #28 of 58
Hi Sara,

I have both the SE530's and ER4P (&S) amped with an RSA SR-71A and I doubt you can do much better.
I think there is an SR-71A in the For Sale forum here for $325 which is an unbelievable steal, although a tad above your budget.
I'm not sure that you can buy the SR-71A brand new from Ray any more as it was originally limited to 500 pieces, so second hand would be the way to go for one of these.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Sara,

I have both the SE530's and ER4P (&S) amped with an RSA SR-71A and I doubt you can do much better.
I think there is an SR-71A in the For Sale forum here for $325 which is an unbelievable steal, although a tad above your budget.
I'm not sure that you can buy the SR-71A brand new from Ray any more as it was originally limited to 500 pieces, so second hand would be the way to go for one of these.

Thanks, Bob! I'll have a look. Much appreciated!

~~~~Sara

Added - Ooops! Looks like it's a WTB...

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #30 of 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back