ER-4Ps, need an affordable amp with bass
Jul 8, 2007 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Harimwakairi

New Head-Fier
I got a pair of ER-4P's recently, and though I like the clarity, I think they might be better when amped by something other than my iPod's built-in circuitry.

I'm looking for something around $150, and I'd really like it to have a bass boost, since the Ety's are somewhat shy in that frequency range (at least to my untrained ears; please don't flame me).

I've seen XM4 amps on eBay, and when I searched on the forums they seemed to get at least a few favorable nods. Would that be a good choice?

Everybody likes living vicariously through the purchases of others, right? What would you guys recommend?
icon10.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 10
Sorry to reply to my own post, but I was hunting around the Xin site and noticed that the Super Mini appears (at least from their circuit diagram) to have a bass boost. Would that be a good choice as well?

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 10
mmm... if you want something bassy, and within $150

i suggest the mSeed SPIRIT, on the other hand i heard the Xtra X-1 Pro is also quite good, and more portable.

some also swear by the ibasso T2 which actually lives up to its namesake, finally, but i've yet to hear what skylab says about it so best to take that with a grain of salt.

Go-Vibe 6m is also quite good, its a well reviewed amp.

Jul 8, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 10
The mSEED Spirit has a warmth to its presentation that might make a good combo with the edgy etys. I would try to avoid bass boost circuitry if at all possible (just my opinion though).
etysmile.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 10
The Supermini IV, Supermacro LE, and Supermacro IV all have a bass boost function. Also all three have a built in P to S switch so the ER4P sound would be better controled. Any of those three amps would be my first choice for the Etymotics. Good luck.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 10
Xin Supermini III (used) or IV (new)

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Supermini IV, Supermacro LE, and Supermacro IV all have a bass boost function. Also all three have a built in P to S switch so the ER4P sound would be better controled. Any of those three amps would be my first choice for the Etymotics. Good luck.

I just ordered a SuperMicro IV a few few hours ago, and I'm wondering if I should switch to the SuperMini IV instead. I have a Supermini III and I find that the jumpers are quite useful to control gain, and save me the trouble of carrying my P -> S cable, as well the bass boost for those times on the subway when I just want some bass. The SuperMicro doesn't have any jumpers as I understand, and I wonder if I am giving up a lot by going with the Micro instead of the Mini. It would be nice to have the smaller size of the Micro, but maybe I should go with configurability instead.

What do you think?

EDIT: also out of curiosity did the Heed Can Amp not work out for you? I've been considering a purchase, but I see to eyeing the Bada PH-12 more now.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harimwakairi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a pair of ER-4P's recently, and though I like the clarity, I think they might be better when amped by something other than my iPod's built-in circuitry.

I'm looking for something around $150, and I'd really like it to have a bass boost, since the Ety's are somewhat shy in that frequency range (at least to my untrained ears; please don't flame me).

I've seen XM4 amps on eBay, and when I searched on the forums they seemed to get at least a few favorable nods. Would that be a good choice?

Everybody likes living vicariously through the purchases of others, right? What would you guys recommend?
icon10.gif

I use an iBasso T1 with my ER4p's and love the combo.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a SuperMicro IV a few few hours ago, and I'm wondering if I should switch to the SuperMini IV instead. I have a Supermini III and I find that the jumpers are quite useful to control gain, and save me the trouble of carrying my P -> S cable, as well the bass boost for those times on the subway when I just want some bass. The SuperMicro doesn't have any jumpers as I understand, and I wonder if I am giving up a lot by going with the Micro instead of the Mini. It would be nice to have the smaller size of the Micro, but maybe I should go with configurability instead.

What do you think?

EDIT: also out of curiosity did the Heed Can Amp not work out for you? I've been considering a purchase, but I see to eyeing the Bada PH-12 more now.

Even with all the switches the Supermicro IV sounds better to me, so I would not change the order. The Heed worked beautifully for me, great amp with great sound. However at the time I needed money for my car and something had to go.

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 10
I bought IM716 which is the same thing essentially as ER4P, and I bought Supermini not even knowing about the built-in 75ohm resistor that turns the ER4P into a ER4S. So... I'm pretty happy with buying the Supermini. You can opt for the AC plug, but I think if you bought some Eneloop batteries, the 100hr battery life of the Mini would be like 20,000hrs of runtime with changing between 2 sets of 2 batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back