ER-4Ps cracked...
Jul 31, 2005 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

archosman

Songs From The Crystal Cave
Can't believe it. After 3 years I found a small crack on the left driver. Read a few stories of people having the same issue and figured it wouldn't happen to me. I use them every day so now I'm going to go through the prospect/withdrawal of sending them off for repair.

A question for those of you who have sent them back to Etymotics... did they just replace the driver with a new one or did they actually repair it? I would hate to have one driver that doesn't have the same amount of burn-in as the other. I figure I'm out of warranty and was also wondering what the few of you have paid for the repairs.

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 15
Etymotic Research does not repair failed transducer housings. The entire driver assembly is replaced as needed.

Cheers,
iDesign

When this fault appeared in my Etymotic Research ER4 monitors, both transducer housings failed and were replaced.

Jul 31, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 15
On mine the entire assembly was replaced, that was standard at the time, I don't know if anything has changed since.

Jul 31, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 15
to tell you the truth I am glad etymotics made the filters replaceable. You don't have to replace them if they are not dirty. On the other hand, I am always paranoid about my UM2 getting smeared with earwax. The filter is not replaceable. Of course, the filter is not at the tip of the bore, but in the middle, so that helps, but still...

I treat my etys with care. I change tips as slow as possible without exerting lots of fource with a twisting and pull and twisting and push action. So far I have not had a problem. I have not replaced any of the filters yet. I try to keep my ear as clean as possible at all times. I also try to use the tri flanges to prevent changing the tips.

Aug 1, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Over the period of ownership, how many times did you change out the filters? Do you think this was the inevitable result?

I would say 6 times in 3 years. No... not really.

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Over the period of ownership, how many times did you change out the filters? Do you think this was the inevitable result?

I believe that the life of the filter can be greatly prolonged if the driver is removed periodically and dried over long listening sessions. When the monitor stays fitted in the ear moisture forms/ builds and removing the monitor periodically will decrease the amount of moisture on the filter. When I purchased my Etymotic Research ER4 monitors, both lexan transducer housings were cracked and replaced by Etymotic. It was indicated to me that Etymotic will preform filter changes and I am quite sure that the housing will fail again and the odds are much higher during a filter change. I would prefer that changing the filters is done by Etymotic when the two year warranty expires.

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign
I believe that the life of the filter can be greatly prolonged if the driver is removed periodically and dried over long listening sessions. When the monitor stays fitted in the ear moisture forms/ builds and removing the monitor periodically will decrease the amount of moisture on the filter. When I purchased my Etymotic Research ER4 monitors, both lexan transducer housings were cracked and replaced by Etymotic. It was indicated to me that Etymotic will preform filter changes and I am quite sure that the housing will fail again and the odds are much higher during a filter change. I would prefer that changing the filters is done by Etymotic when the two year warranty expires.

I believe that cracking of the tubes is such a common problem that etymotic will 'fix' the problem free of charge even if your pair is 10 years old.

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
I believe that cracking of the tubes is such a common problem that etymotic will 'fix' the problem free of charge even if your pair is 10 years old.

I referred the same question to Etymotic Research. While they do acknowledge that it is a known issue, it was much less clear about how warranty situations would be handled outside of the warranty period. One thing that remains clear for myself, is that I will move away from the ER4 monitors long before the warranty period expires--because I simply dont like them.

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 15
I've enjoyed mine. I would like to try the E5Cs but gotta pay for a head gasket at the moment...

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 15
They replaced the entire assembly on mine. Very smooth experience and I was quite satisfied with the service. Unfortunately, the failure in spite of my being oh so gentle with them killed my confidence in the product so I sold out and moved on to the E5C's.

JMO and I've no proof of this but I don't think it's the filter change that did it. I think it was when I switched from the soft rubber of the triflange to the foamies. That plastic tube in those things is SNUG to say the least. I believe this is what led mine to crack. Used the triflange exclusively for several months and nada...nothing. Switched to the foamies for comfort and boom...cracked tube. When I asked the folks at etymotic about it, they claimed some form of moisture contamination of the production process that allowed a run of these canalphones to be weakened. Supposed to have been corrected.

Anyway, sorry for the trouble. I'd email 'em and my guess is that they'll do you right. Nice folks.

Aug 3, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
JMO and I've no proof of this but I don't think it's the filter change that did it. I think it was when I switched from the soft rubber of the triflange to the foamies. That plastic tube in those things is SNUG to say the least. I believe this is what led mine to crack. Used the triflange exclusively for several months and nada...nothing. Switched to the foamies for comfort and boom...cracked tube. When I asked the folks at etymotic about it, they claimed some form of moisture contamination of the production process that allowed a run of these canalphones to be weakened. Supposed to have been corrected.

KenW,

Its interesting that you documented both the explanation and suspected cause of the failure. I have seen two types of cracks that are found in the surfaces surrounding the filers or at the base of the lexan tube. When I spoke to Etymotic Research regarding the issue, they believe it is possibly related to out of spec./ out of round filters. While this may be the cause of such cracks it ignores the grater issue that the entire housing and materials are inadequate. I have always believed that "if it dosnt work, it wasnt designed." I expect to switch to the Sensaphonics ProPhonic SOFT 2X monitors soon but that wont happen until I join you in the HD650/ Zu Cable ring.

Cheers

I should add that the Etymotic Research customer service was quite good.

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Can't believe it. After 3 years I found a small crack on the left driver. Read a few stories of people having the same issue and figured it wouldn't happen to me. I use them every day so now I'm going to go through the prospect/withdrawal of sending them off for repair.

A question for those of you who have sent them back to Etymotics... did they just replace the driver with a new one or did they actually repair it? I would hate to have one driver that doesn't have the same amount of burn-in as the other. I figure I'm out of warranty and was also wondering what the few of you have paid for the repairs.

The Etymotics are too much trouble if you live in the UK (as I do) because it is a pain to have to keep sending them back to the US for this problem and that problem at great expense. Mine went wrong within 3 months of buying them from Headroom, since that repair the cable has an developed an intermittent fault. It's too much bother and expense to keep sending them back to the US. I deeply regret buying them although I did think the sound was very good (when they worked).

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T
The Etymotics are too much trouble if you live in the UK (as I do) because it is a pain to have to keep sending them back to the US for this problem and that problem at great expense. Mine went wrong within 3 months of buying them from Headroom, since that repair the cable has an developed an intermittent fault. It's too much bother and expense to keep sending them back to the US. I deeply regret buying them although I did think the sound was very good (when they worked).

I guess this goes for all us Europeans as so many items related to this hobby are import only. It actually kept me from ordering things several times, and I am always happy to find stuff locally. Nevertheless this cannot be blamed on single manufacturers, especially since Etymotic Reserach is very generous about repairs from what I read. I also don't think that Etys are a problematic product per se, even if negative experiences are accumulated in this thread. I have mine for quite a while now, and they are still perfect. Admittedly I use 3-flanges which are not as hard on the stems.

One thing that would be very nice to have are local opportunities for repair.

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 15
I've abused mine pretty hard from day one and it's just now that I'm seeing a problem. I have no complaints really. They have had considerable wear and tear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back