ER-4P?
May 24, 2007 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tAdiGh

Head-Fier
Hiya!

coming from the sr-60 and jvc marshmallows(kinda surprising the lows are ok even though they muddy as hell)

im going to upgrade to the ER-4p is this a viable choice? ill be using a 4g ipod with no amp

May 24, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 17
i like my er-4p's a lot and they do just fine without an amp -- i use them with my 3g ipod when i'm too lazy to bring the amp.

May 24, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 17
i listen to alot of everything really but mostly rock like rush, led zeppelin, the fray (are they rock?), hip hop, old school rap i hardly ever listen to classical or norah jones like music even though i have the album

May 24, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 17
hi mate i kinda listen to some of the same stuff as you, rock metal the zepplin some heavy stuff, old school hip hop, bob marley i think the er4s are great value i think i could have spent a lot more and been a lot less satisfied.
etysmile.gif

May 24, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tAdiGh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen to alot of everything really but mostly rock like rush, led zeppelin, the fray (are they rock?), hip hop, old school rap i hardly ever listen to classical or norah jones like music even though i have the album

I'm sort of waiting for someone to say that Etymotic aren't the best option for hip hop, old school rap. If you like a lot (quantity) of bass, you might want to look at Shure's line.

May 24, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 17
shure doesn't have that much quantities of bass either, compared to sf5 eb. there's always a trade off between quantity and quality. i reckon etys are fine for any type of music, given a bit of equalisation. however, they excel at music that's made by instruments.

May 24, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 17
i think the are fine for hip hop the way look at it is its never gona be the same as 4 huge subs which i think new school hip hop is designed for
basshead.gif
, so i think the trade off to have a head phone excel at most other music genres zeppelin is pure class the melodies kick ass on er4p

May 24, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 17
ER·4P are the cream of the must of the overall.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 17
The ER4Ps are very crisp. Awesome detail. There's no muddiness here. The bass might not be techno danceclub thumpy, but then I hate techno danceclub thumpy, so they're perfect for me.

GAD

May 26, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tAdiGh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmmm all of this is making me rethink. would it be worth it to get the ety4p for 179.99? like as in price wise

I am finding that for hip hop (Talib, Common, J-live, wordsworth, etc) I don't end up caring about detailed anything. I'm just not that picky about how it sounds. I don't ever find myself saying, "gosh, why did Hi-Tek choose to flip it thataway? I love the decay following that scratch. Let's hear that again."

I guess I am used to it coming out of the side of a boombox with one speaker blown out or a car with broken paper cones flapping, but it's gotta be bumpin!

I think Shures do fine with this. Grados even do fine with this. Neither of these are presumed to be bass monsters. Most cans in the world do fine with this (it's the only thing bose CAN do right), but the Etys ... maybe not what they're made for.

That's just my take on it.

May 27, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 17
thanks for all your help guys, but i dont think i will get them.
unclejr makes a good point... oh well my quest goes on... how about closed circumaural headphones? any that are comfortable?? remember no amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back