ER-4P vs. PFE
Mar 2, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #31 of 42
Not switching views. Confused about your post. I just could not find a tip that gave me the W3 others were experiencing. Now, I think I have. Still love the Phonaks, as much as before. I am not a one-IEM person, I suppose. Heck, I even have room for the Monster Turbines in my listening sessions. And now the IE8s. Something will go, just not sure what yet (but not the PFEs).

Oh, and why would you remove the sound tube from the Complys? Explain?

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #32 of 42
maybe to stuff it into silicones?

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #33 of 42
Returned my PFE's within a few days...

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #34 of 42
why? just curious

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #35 of 42
I like my IEMS to produce layers (separation) of the music...the PFE's did not offer this.

Guitars and vocals were on top of each other

Mar 2, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #36 of 42
Funny, but that is the last thing that the PFEs offer to me, as instrument/vocal separation sounds excellent. But that's just to my untrained ears, I guess. Of course, I always hook the PFEs up to an amp, so that may be the difference maker too. Oh well, never would expect everyone to find the PFEs to their liking. I know one other person who returned them, Average_Joe, but he thought they were a fine IEM. The IE8s are more to his liking, and he didn't want to keep two IEMs.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, but that is the last thing that the PFEs offer to me, as instrument/vocal separation sounds excellent. But that's just to my untrained ears, I guess. Of course, I always hook the PFEs up to an amp, so that may be the difference maker too. Oh well, never would expect everyone to find the PFEs to their liking. I know one other person who returned them, Average_Joe, but he thought they were a fine IEM. The IE8s are more to his liking, and he didn't want to keep two IEMs.

x2, excellent instrument separation, vocals stood out by themselves in my opinion, the cleanest female vocals I have heard. IMO, the instrument separation of the PFEs was slightly better than the IE8s (with grey filters), and female vocals sounded slightly better than on the IE8 to me. Male vocals however were better on the IE8.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #38 of 42
Dunno, can kinda see where oak3x is coming from. The PFE's don't ruthlessly separate like some other iems I have had. With grey filters vocals are clearly separated from instruments. With black filters the separation is quite a bit less and everything is more blended together and smoothed over. In some ways they do remind me of the vibes in the way they image. 3d soundstage isn't really there to further enhancing feeling of instrumental separation.

Can't say its a bad thing though. Grates only for emotionally engaging songs like some soul. Though for percussion-heavy rock it is much appreciated as some previous iems separated so much to the point that it became almost pointless listening to them.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunno, can kinda see where oak3x is coming from. The PFE's don't ruthlessly separate like some other iems I have had. With grey filters vocals are clearly separated from instruments. With black filters the separation is quite a bit less and everything is more blended together and smoothed over. In some ways they do remind me of the vibes in the way they image. 3d soundstage isn't really there to further enhancing feeling of instrumental separation.

Can't say its a bad thing though. Grates only for emotionally engaging songs like some soul. Though for percussion-heavy rock it is much appreciated as some previous iems separated so much to the point that it became almost pointless listening to them.

Personally, I thought the separation was just right with the grey filters. My IE8s are about equal, and I like it! Female vocals do stand out more than on my IE8s (anyone else notice the difference I notice in female vs. male vocals on the PFE?).

And I do think the black and grey filters have big differences between them, almost like 2 completely different IEMs, so I can see where you would be coming from if you were using the black filters.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiohui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe to stuff it into silicones?

Lol....agreed, reasons? Open up the....portal/hole to let more sound in, mids, and highs sound more spacious and wider. The lows have much more depth, seemly impossible but true.

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #42 of 42
I know I'm digging up an old post, but I can't help but put forth a suggestion regarding the soundstage issue that many have brought up.

Has anyone tried openback headphones vs. closed back headphones? For those who have, I'm sure that you'd find that the open back ones have a bigger soundstage and more spacious representation of the music. Well, at least most of the time. Just cup your hands over the back of a pair of open back headphones. The sound spacious-ness drops quite a bit.

I own the ER4p myself, and I'd say without a doubt that it's one of the best sealing IEMs around. It's so good that I'd say it is just a small notch below proper earplugs. I'd agree with most that the ER4p's soundstage can get a bit constricted on certain tracks, but consider the idea between open back headphones vs closed back headphones. I'd say that a big reason why the etys sound the way they do is due to their ability to block out ambient sound so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back