ER-4P vs. PFE
Feb 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Figuto

Head-Fier
Some people here says, that PFE are better than ER-4P. No! It's a mystery for me, why somebody go from the ER-4P to the Phonak. They aren't better. Enhanced bass, heavy sound, weak isolation. Too disapointed... Is somebody here with the same opinion?
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 42
ER-4P WINS!

I have owned both the ER-4P and PFE, and I easily prefer the ER-4P! While the clarity can be considered somewhat similar, the ER-4P possesses a better soundstage and separation.

Yes, the PFE have better base out of the box...but a little tweaking of the EQ and ER-4P produce the same

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 42
I've read reviews stating the opposite.

As usual, it's subjective.

Personally, I cannot comment as I have never heard the ER4Ps.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 42
It seems the only complaint with the ER-4P is what people perceive as a lack of bass. Most people, especially on this forum, prefer a pronounced (or extended) bass. The ER-4P was not designed in this fashion.

If Etymotic released an updated ER-4P, with a stronger bass reproduction...people would pay little attention to the Phonak PFE

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 42
Yes, if Ety released the 4P with extended bass. But they haven't, and probably won't. I owned the ER4P and prefer the PFEs, hands down. I had the S cable too, and to me, the PFEs, when amped, are at least on the same level as the ER4P, but with their much more articulated bass, the are a better, and less expensive, option. Like Scheller says, there are a few posters in the PFE threads who agree. It's completely subjective, of course. 4Ps are what they are, and if that's your thing, enjoy them. But the PFEs deliver the same level of detail, with added warmth (that doesn't wreck the clarity and sparkle).

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 42
The ER 4P's Have cable noise unlike any other iem not to mention they need to shoved so far down your ear canal to get good sound. There other strike is no over the ear design. And strike 3 The bass must EQ'ed in were as the PFE bass is good with out EQ. The PFE's truly have the best balance of all the iem's iv ever owned. The ER 4P's need a modern update. The PFE's are the most comfortable iem EVER you really for get there in.

Bass is very important in music and movies to have a little to no bass boring and hard to listen to. Just try watching a movie and turn your sub and thats what the ER 4P's sound like.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 42
I'm a former Ety ER4s owner (which I prefer to the p), and I prefer the Phonaks for many reasons.

The bass just gives it a more balanced sound. The PFEs are far from overwhelming bass. It's just there, and of good quality.

The midrange is filled out on the PFE compared to the Etys. The highs on the PFE have that same addicting quality as the Ety highs but without the harshness on certain recordings.

I prefer the isolation of the etys, but the torture to get the right fit for me personally and pain in the ears was a problem. The Phonaks are comfortable.

I'm sorry but the Etys are a clinical and razor sharp in its presentation. It is very revealing and precise which is partly a good thing. But long term that can get to you. I even have a Xin amp which does it's best to boost the bass, provide cross feed to mellow it out, and give it a warmer sound.

Anyway, I'm an ety fan and it has extreme precision, but the Phonaks give a perfect balance of everything. They are musical but not lush and balanced across the frequencies. The PFEs don't hide nastiness in recordings, but they are still enjoyable to listen to. The Etys are almost unlistenable on bad recordings.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER-4P WINS!

I have owned both the ER-4P and PFE, and I easily prefer the ER-4P! While the clarity can be considered somewhat similar, the ER-4P possesses a better soundstage and separation.

Yes, the PFE have better base out of the box...but a little tweaking of the EQ and ER-4P produce the same

OMG the PFE must have an inverse soundstage or something
eek.gif
ety's are known for their LACK of soundstage

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 42
I consider the PFE and ER4 on similar levels. Both are very good but excel in different aspects.

For example, the ER4 has a great soundstage while the PFE is less spacious and with less specific location and separate. The PFE is more dynamic and effortless in sound while the ER4 is more tame and even. The ER4 has a balanced upper end frequency response but a little early roll off on the lower frequencies. The PFE has a very extended bottom end response but has a more ragged top end response. The PFE has very high detail and is light, crisp, and energetic. The ER4 has a fuller note and a slightly smoother sound. The PFE's more engaging while the ER4 is more balanced and non-intrusive.

While I see pluses and minuses for each earphone, it's tough to universally say one is definitively better then the other. It comes more down to personal preference. I personally consider them to be on similar universal levels, but I do tend to prefer my ER4S because it's better balanced and even. However, if my preferences were more instead for ultimate detail, sparkle, and strong bass, the PFE is obviously the better liked option. It all depends.

How are the Etymotics known for a lack of sound stage? My ER4S has the best soundstage of any earphone I've used.
confused.gif
The space and placement is very good and the sound isn't stuck inside your head. I can't really comment about the ER6 or something though, but the ER4's sound stage is quite good and very much a step above the PFE.

As for bass, the ER4 ≠ PFE, even with EQ. You can work with the frequency response some, but the way the sound is presented is a bit different. As well, the ER4 has less output capability then the PFE and noticeably gains compression in lower frequencies when pushed and EQed up. The PFE can get quite a bit more output and can belt out the lower frequencies with much less restriction. I will say I prefer the note of the ER4 more then the PFE. The PFE is very light and crisp in note, short. And this makes for a light bass note. The ER4 has a fuller note but also has good punch and control. With EQing it can be more pronounced and somewhat extended. However, it seems to run out of excursion above medium levels, and you simply get no more bass coming as you turn up the volume. Mids and highs just get louder. I like the fullness of note of the ER4 better but the PFE is more energetic and effortless and louder even if lighter in note. Down to a point, the ER4 can match, but overall, the PFE simply is more capable both in extension and output.

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 42
And this folks is why its been mentioned many times...we all hear the same IEM slightly differently so auditioning it for yourself is a must for final judgement/decision.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I consider the PFE and ER4 on similar levels. Both are very good but excel in different aspects.

For example, the ER4 has a great soundstage while the PFE is less spacious and with less specific location and separate. The PFE is more dynamic and effortless in sound while the ER4 is more tame and even. The ER4 has a balanced upper end frequency response but a little early roll off on the lower frequencies. The PFE has a very extended bottom end response but has a more ragged top end response. The PFE has very high detail and is light, crisp, and energetic. The ER4 has a fuller note and a slightly smoother sound. The PFE's more engaging while the ER4 is more balanced and non-intrusive.

While I see pluses and minuses for each earphone, it's tough to universally say one is definitively better then the other. It comes more down to personal preference. I personally consider them to be on similar universal levels, but I do tend to prefer my ER4S because it's better balanced and even. However, if my preferences were more instead for ultimate detail, sparkle, and strong bass, the PFE is obviously the better liked option. It all depends.

How are the Etymotics known for a lack of sound stage? My ER4S has the best soundstage of any earphone I've used.
confused.gif
The space and placement is very good and the sound isn't stuck inside your head. I can't really comment about the ER6 or something though, but the ER4's sound stage is quite good and very much a step above the PFE.

As for bass, the ER4 ≠ PFE, even with EQ. You can work with the frequency response some, but the way the sound is presented is a bit different. As well, the ER4 has less output capability then the PFE and noticeably gains compression in lower frequencies when pushed and EQed up. The PFE can get quite a bit more output and can belt out the lower frequencies with much less restriction. I will say I prefer the note of the ER4 more then the PFE. The PFE is very light and crisp in note, short. And this makes for a light bass note. The ER4 has a fuller note but also has good punch and control. With EQing it can be more pronounced and somewhat extended. However, it seems to run out of excursion above medium levels, and you simply get no more bass coming as you turn up the volume. Mids and highs just get louder. I like the fullness of note of the ER4 better but the PFE is more energetic and effortless and louder even if lighter in note. Down to a point, the ER4 can match, but overall, the PFE simply is more capable both in extension and output.

well in my brief experience with them I found them to be distinctly lacking in soundstage (at least width, depth and height) when compared to triple-fi, SE530 and W3. it is true they have great and accurate placement within that stage, but I found it to be quite constricted. I see many others around here saying the same thing when compared to these top tier IEM's too. but yes greatdane; personal experience differs, just the first time i've heard the ER4 talked of in that way.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a former Ety ER4s owner (which I prefer to the p), and I prefer the Phonaks for many reasons.

The bass just gives it a more balanced sound. The PFEs are far from overwhelming bass. It's just there, and of good quality.

The midrange is filled out on the PFE compared to the Etys. The highs on the PFE have that same addicting quality as the Ety highs but without the harshness on certain recordings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These two opinions seem to contradict each other. Used to own the PFEs myself, they were very balanced and did not have any treble harshness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well in my brief experience with them I found them to be distinctly lacking in soundstage (at least width, depth and height) when compared to triple-fi, SE530 and W3. it is true they have great and accurate placement within that stage, but I found it to be quite constricted. I see many others around here saying the same thing when compared to these top tier IEM's too. but yes greatdane; personal experience differs, just the first time i've heard the ER4 talked of in that way.

What filters were when you were using the PFEs? Also, what was the source, and was your source the same source as your ER4? To me, the PFEs with the grey filters have a soundstage that is close to the IE8.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 42
Pfe's are excellent but even still lack bass themselves, seems a lot of people on these forums are not bass heavy folk.. I plugged in my wifes skull candy titans and they almost wipe the floor with both but they lack the detail in the high end frequencies... Lets look beyond price tags Audiophiles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back