er-4p vs. e4c - can anyone help me choose?
Oct 21, 2005 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hwanmeister

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a noob, although I've been ghosting on the site for quite some time
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I've got a dilemma that I need some advice on. I'm currently using Etymotic er6i on my Kenwood HD20GA7, but recently I've come to consider upgrading. I've had my eyes on either er-4p or e4c, but I can't really pick one.

Particular sounds (bass or trebles or what-have-you) are not that important. Just an overall view on which canalphone is generally preferable. Sorry if this sounds a bit unreasonable, since I'm sure both are great phones and the differences in quality are not that great. (Or perhaps the performance of er6i is not that inferior to the two 'phones..?)

I would really appreciate your help, thanks.
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 6
i would not trade-in details and crystal-clear highs for more bass... not that ER-4 doesn't have enough... (i have not heard E4 but i am satisfied with ER-4 and its sound, including bass)
if you love ER-6i highs, go for ER-4 or you'll miss them

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't know about the kenwood but with the ipod, the E4c sounds much better with an amp, but this is also true for the Er4-P. I prefered the E4c, the Er4 was very nice and detailed, but I like the better Bass and overall more musical sound of the E4c. The E4p was just too analytical. I did however for classical like the Er4p while E4c is was better for rock, rap, pop, etc.

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Either headphone will be a noticeable upgrade. It's hard to say which is better overall because both have their weaknesses that are accentuated by certain types of music.

I prefer the ER4 overall sound, but I could also live with the E4's presentation if I had to. The ER4 sound has more liveliness in the high end, and it works quite well unamped.

As always, buy from a place that allows returns just in case you don't like them.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey thanks a lot guys
biggrin.gif
Reading your replies I guess I'm kinda leaning more towards er4p (something quite addictive about the highs in er6i). I'm particularly drawn to ken36's 'sold my e5c after hearing er-4s' comment
tongue.gif

But anyhow I really appreciate your comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back