ER-4P tri-flange or Foam (or 3rd party) Whats your opinion?
Jul 17, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #16 of 26
I always prefered the foamies for fit/comfort. Now however i use custom tips, a slight improvement in detail/bass over the foamies and tri flange.

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #18 of 26
I too use the ety tri flanges. When I first got my er4p I couldn't get on with either the flanges or foam, I even tried the baby blues (too small). I almost gave up on them but after a long time I eventually got used the triple flanges and now comfort is not an issue.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #19 of 26
Since my first pair of EX70LPs, the silicon softips have sold me. They plop in and out quickly and easily, give a great seal (when fitted properly), have sound characteristics of flanges, and are much easier maintenance and longer lasting. Shure tips that fit their SE4/5 series will fit the Ety (as well as UM1/2 and others), and can be had in 'fitkits' if you search for them. You should actually try out as many as you can, the 'golden tip' is out there. Good luck.

P.S. Shure 'Black Olives' are also a popular choice.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #20 of 26
Don't forget to mosten the tri's prior to insertion, and definitely pull your ear away (see the instructions that came with them, or check Ety's site for more info). I also find that I used to insert them too deeply, but now I just clench my jaw really tightly when I insert them, and once I feel them seated, open my mouth widely, and this sets them just right...

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #21 of 26
With my ety er4p, I prefer the triple flange to the stock foams.

I have some shure olives on order, and we'll see if those are any better.

I like triple because they are faster to insert, more comfy(for me), stay in more firm(the foams are really easy to take out while flanges take a little tugging, which is good for the occasional accident), and the er4p doesn't stick out as much.

They both have about the same isolation for me, and I can't tell any sound different, so it's triple flanges all the way for me.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #22 of 26
foams - subdues the highs a little and adds some meat to the lower end of the spectrum (not my fav)
tri-flange - very articulate and detailed (i think these sound the best but they're not very comfortable)

i just got a set of the klipsch contour gel tips and these are amazingly comfortable. the sound isnt as good as the flanges but the comfort more than makes up for it. if you can get a pair of these tips, definately gets my recco...

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #24 of 26
I found the foamies to take the shrillness away a bit and make the presentation more natural sounding but the triple flanges are not that bad. The difference is actually pretty close.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #25 of 26
I much prefer the silicone flanges. I lick them and rotate them back and forth into my ear and they seal really well. The foams feel slightly more comfortable but always feel like they're going to slip out and I prefer the isolation from the flanges.

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #26 of 26
Single flange silicone are much more comfortable than foam. Since the foam expands, I get more of the "stuffed" feeling in my ears which I don't have with the silicone. The suction/seal is strange at first, but after getting used to it I can wear the silicone tips longer and more comfortable.

If I had a tri-flange option, I would definitely use it because of the superior isolation. Plus I like the results I get from the silicone tips and a tri-flange tip would sound about the same as a single.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back