ER-4P too fragile for commuting?
Apr 24, 2007 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I have received the Etymotic. I like them, though they are a bit dry (as expected). I want to adjust to their sound before I decide how much I like them. However I would like to use them for commuting, but the wires (left and right wires) seem waaaay to fragile. They are thin! Would be safe to walk and travel with them?

Share your experience!

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 22
They do seem it, but I've worn mine to school each day for about 5 months now and just put them loose in my bag when in class. Still in good nick.

Just put them in the pouch when you're done and I'm sure they'll be fine.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 22
I was thinking about wearing them all the time, not in my ears but dangling off the shirt clip. I don't like to put iems away and then taking them out, again and again.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 22
ER4's are pretty tough IEM's. They take abuse and keep going... until you snap that transducer tube.
frown.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 22
I wear mine to school every day. It's a 15 minute walk to campus and I often roll them up and stuff them in my pants. Yeah... I know it's bad, but they've put up with my abuse for about 4 months daily along with many sleepless nights. I'd say they are durable.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 22
The ER4 should last a long time if you always store them safely, like in the supplied pouch. I'm a nut about that, mine are never allowed to rest anywhere but their comfy little home.
etysmile.gif

If you think the ER4 looks fragile you should see the ER6
eek.gif
I think they sound very nice for $80 but the build quality is weak. I bought mine for use in bed. Mine are fairly new so they haven't stood the test of time.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 22
They're really tough little buggers. I've used mine with rather wreckless abandon for the past half year. They're extremely well built, just don't step on them or something. On more than one occasion, they've been snagged on something and yanked out of my ear... no damage at all, and they still look exactly as they did on the day I bought them.

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 22
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that should your cord wear out from use, they are easily replaceable. They detach from the drivers.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 22
Yea i used to bike ALOT with mine, and through all falls and such they were fine... but god did it hurt to get them stuck on my bars or something during a fall and have them torn outta my ear at weird angles... just wire them in your shirt and you should be fine...

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that should your cord wear out from use, they are easily replaceable. They detach from the drivers.

Only except Etymotic charges $50 for a replacement cable.
mad.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use them almost exclusively for public transport

Ditto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back