ER-4P replacement cord from fixup.net
Mar 18, 2002 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Seraphesque

New Head-Fier
I got ER-4Ps some two weeks ago and they are beautiful glorious super, but the issue of microphonic noise renders them not-applicable to a great many activities that I do. Like walking. And breathing. It's horrible, really.

Lextek and others have recommended fixup.net's replacement cord, so this question is for those of you who've ordered and used it. Is there any loss of sound quality? It seems to me that Etymotics would use microphonic-less cords unless there were some benefit to using... microphonicful cords. Also, if the only difference between ER-4S's and ER-4Ps is in the cord, as I've heard it said, it MUST sound different with a totally different cord, non?

Finally, is it difficult to change the cord? Do I need special tools? Is there a high chance of my screwing up and destroying three hundred dollars of love and peace?

Thanks a lot!

Mar 18, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 4
To me I didn't notice any difference in sound quality. As far changing the cord. It was a matter of unplugging the old and plugging in the new. I wouldn't keep swapping back and forth. I am also suprised Etymotic didn't use a cord similar to their E6 cord for at least the $P.

Mar 19, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Seraphesque
I got ER-4Ps some two weeks ago and they are beautiful glorious super, but the issue of microphonic noise renders them not-applicable to a great many activities that I do. Like walking. And breathing. It's horrible, really.

Lextek and others have recommended fixup.net's replacement cord, so this question is for those of you who've ordered and used it. Is there any loss of sound quality? It seems to me that Etymotics would use microphonic-less cords unless there were some benefit to using... microphonicful cords. Also, if the only difference between ER-4S's and ER-4Ps is in the cord, as I've heard it said, it MUST sound different with a totally different cord, non?

Finally, is it difficult to change the cord? Do I need special tools? Is there a high chance of my screwing up and destroying three hundred dollars of love and peace?

Thanks a lot!

After using Fixup's cable I also wonder why Etymotics has stuck with a microphonic cable for so long. Durability may play some part in their decision. The Fixup cable appears to be far more fragile than the Ety original.

IMO, fragility is a worthwhile tradeoff to get rid of the relatively heavy, stiff and noisy Ety cable. Like all of Fixup's offerings, it's well thought out and executed.

I can hear no audible loss between the Ety cables and the 4P Fixup model I purchased. If anything, you may even gain a little. BTW, the difference between the 4P and 4S Ety cables is primarily their resistance, not the cable itself. Adding 75 ohm adapters in series with the 4P cable converts it to 4S performance. Obviously, this makes the 4P a more versatile choice.

Removing the cable is easy enough--I used my fingernails. Just be sure to pull the connector straight off without twisting.

Mar 19, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 4
I too am reluctant to replace the cord of the Ety's. Written descriptions are helpful, but pictures would ease my anxiety somewhat. So.... anyone got any pictures of the mod process??

Thanks!
Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back