ER-4P problems :(
Aug 22, 2005 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ref

100+ Head-Fier
I have problems with sound quality with my ER-4P. Frequently one of the earphones goes bad and the sound is quiet and only upper lows (i guess 400-800 Hz) and it lasts randomly long, from 10 to 120 minutes... I tried changing filters, but it didn't help.. today they recovered from this "state" but the sound is not as good as before, there is definetly more output in 9-13 kHz range than before and maybe something else i can't find but they sound worse.. and one sounds louder than the other
frown.gif
Should I RMA?

I was enjoying them very much, i had no comfort issues and now this
frown.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
I have problems with sound quality with my ER-4P. Frequently one of the earphones goes bad and the sound is quiet and only upper lows (i guess 400-800 Hz) and it lasts randomly long, from 10 to 120 minutes... I tried changing filters, but it didn't help.. today they recovered from this "state" but the sound is not as good as before, there is definetly more output in 9-13 kHz range than before and maybe something else i can't find but they sound worse.. and one sounds louder than the other
frown.gif
Should I RMA?

I was enjoying them very much, i had no comfort issues and now this
frown.gif

I think you should send your problem to Ety directly,that could be much more helpful.Hope this can solve your probllem.I am also a er4p owner,and I like it very much as long as even after I got HD600.

Aug 22, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 9
The intermittent problems I had with my ER4s were taken care of by sending them back for warranty repair.
As you found out, changing the filters does nothing. It's most likely a bad driver.

Aug 22, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 9
I sent an email to Ety support.
Have any of you had problems with long uses of etys? I have no earwax issues but the longer i had them on the bigger was the chance of one of them going "bad"...

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
I sent an email to Ety support.
Have any of you had problems with long uses of etys? I have no earwax issues but the longer i had them on the bigger was the chance of one of them going "bad"...

What do you by "going bad"?You are talking about the sound quailty?If so,I don't have this kind of problem on my er4p.

Aug 23, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 9
the sound is quiet and only upper lows (i guess 400-800 Hz) and it lasts randomly long, from 10 to 120 minutes...

i am waiting for answer from etymotic, and going to RMA then... i have more than 1 problem...
rolleyes.gif

i mean they were absolutely great in the beginning, but now they sound worse and have problems ... this counts for both the LEFT and RIGHT phones

Aug 23, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 9
Having never have had that specific problem you mentioned, I can only comment on what I had experienced.
Once the unit I sent for repair came back, the sound never changed and I have not experienced any problems since. That's 1.5 yrs and everyday use for the last 8 months.
Hope that answers your question.

Aug 23, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for reply, I understand now.

No, they never got wet... at least not the drivers ... the thing you put tip on may got a bit wet after putting clean filters on, but i was making sure that there is no water in the inside of tips and now that I use foamies for two weeks they definetly didn't get wet anymore but the problems remain.

And I was experiencing problems with them from the first week but they were not so often and after they came "back" they sounded like before ...

Etymotic haven't responded to my email yet
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back