ER-4P or E4C for a portable?
Feb 26, 2007 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
Ever since my KSC75's died, I haven't taken my iPod out much. I really don't want to use my SR60's portably because of the way-too-big cord.

But now that I think about it, I could use a portable setup so much more if I had isolation. So I'm looking at getting an IEM. I can get the ER-4P and E4C for less than $200 each. So that's what I'm looking at. I listen to rock, metal, folk, alt-country, and a little electronic. What would be better suited to those? FYI, I quite like the sound signature of my Grados on all those genres, though they could use a little bit more bass. I'm not a basshead though.

If it helps, here's a big list of bands I like: Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party, Coldplay, Daft Punk, Death Cab For Cutie, The Flaming Lips, Franz Ferdinand, Green Day, The Hold Steady, Interpol, Joanna Newsom, Neko Case, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Postal Service, R.E.M., Radiohead, The Shins, Sonic Youth, Spoon, The Strokes, Sufjan Stevens, System of a Down, The White Stripes, Wilco, Yo La Tengo.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I'll mostly be using these in school hallways, outside waiting for rides, and sometimes for car rides and planes.

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 6
for me, i based the decision on comfort, ability to lay down, customer service, and microphonics.

the sounds can be more or less matched either way, with the exception of slightly odd treble response of the er-4 and the more open soundstage of the e4c. other than that, to go from e4c to er-4s, its just a boost in the 3 khz to 6 khz range and 12khz+ (refer to headroom's graphs). as a result, the bass is less noticible (which you can boost if you like). to go from er-4 down, just do the reverse. bass can be adjusted to taste. imo e4c and er-4 has the same quality/quantity bass, it's just that er-4 has more in the 3khz-6khz range which gives that impression.

if you don't have a good eq that doesnt distort/intrudce major phase defects and just want sound, i would reccomend the er-4p as i enjoy it more but you will want to boost the bass especially when bone / outside noise is introduced and possibly subdue the 5khz area slightly

as for ksc-75, might as well send it in for a free replacement sans shipping.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 6
I have both and use them regularly. I refuse to say I enjoy one more than the other. I think I do, but then I go back to the other and love that one all over again.

E4: Would probably sound better with metal, hard rock. E4 is an easier fit. Gorgeous midrange, tight punchy bass, very nicely detailed but not that super upper end detail of Etys. Pretty decent soundstage...the sound is around your head. Great IEM's if you are moving around or during exercise.

ER-4P/S: Probably better with slower, quieter acoustic or classical stuff but I will use mine for all genres. High end detail is best in class period. Decent midrange, subtle but nicely textured bass. Incredibly accurate. You'll hear a pin drop on the recording if it happened. The fit is (can be) a little more difficult. Not great for exercising, microphonics can be a problem. Soundstage is pretty narrow...the sound is between your ears. But the incredible amount of detail that comes through is intoxicating.

I truly love both of them and don't want to part with either.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 6
<<ER-4P/S: Probably better with slower, quieter acoustic or classical stuff but I will use mine for all genres. High end detail is best in class period. Decent midrange, subtle but nicely textured bass. Incredibly accurate. You'll hear a pin drop on the recording if it happened. The fit is (can be) a little more difficult. Not great for exercising, microphonics can be a problem. Soundstage is pretty narrow...the sound is between your ears. But the incredible amount of detail that comes through is intoxicating.>>

Really well said, and just the way I feel...

John F

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 6
I don't think the E4 would be good for rock at all. The suckout in the upper midrange makes them somewhat dark-sounding, not very energetic. Otherwise they're superb IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back