ER-4P foamie replacements??
Nov 28, 2003 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of ER-4P (used) but the guy who sold them to me forgot to send the foamies with. I do have 2 sets of the white-tri-flange tips, but I can't seem to get a good seal with these. The bass is very weak, etc. Can I buy a pair of foamies made for use as ear plugs at something like a drug store and use those instead?? or would another popular retail store carry a sutable replacement? I wanna get these working TODAY!!
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for any info

Nov 28, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 8
would it still sound nice if I were to buy a pair at a drug store that are intended for use as earplugs but drill a hole down the middle?? The guy I bought these from is sending some replacement foamies but I dont want to wait 5 days to be able to hear the full potential from these bad boys...

please help!!

Nov 28, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 8
just wondering, but did you try some of the techniques that were mentioned in other threads regarding insertion (ie. wetting the tips, twisting plug while inserting, holding your ear up, back, and out with the opposite hand while inserting, opening your mouth to equalize the pressure, pulling out on them a little when your done inserting).

i am one of those who actually prefer the triflanged as opposed to the foamies...i do believe the bass response is different but you should compare the two when you get your foamies in and see which one sounds better to you.

ps. it did take me a little while to get comfortable with the triflanged, but i believe it was worth it.

edit: grammar

Nov 28, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah I tried everything except for pulling them out alittle once they are in all the way, i'll give that a go. Even If I can get a better seal and better sound with the flanged tips, they are pretty uncomfortable imo. I might just go out and buy a pair of earplugs and modify them for the ER-4Ps. I searched a bunch but cant find anyone who has tried something simliar, although I remember seeing a picture of someone with yellow foamies on their etys.... know who that was or which brands are optimal for doing this?

thanks

Nov 28, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by sberger
since i got my ety er4s and ta 4.5v i've taken to staying up many hours into the night and revisiting my 4000 cd's because the combo is so damn EXCITING! i too tried the whites and the black foamies, but i didn't find true sonic joy until i bought the large yellow foamies from etymotic. crush those babies up, shove 'em in yer ear, wait about a minute for them to expand and seal perfectly, and let the pleasure begin. it's so great when you can do something to enhance exponentially the greatest love of your life.

they might be the ones you saw

Nov 28, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 8
MTBIAC:

This is such a coincidence! I just got back from my local Eckerd drugstore; I was attempting to do a modification of my recently acquired Etymotic ER-4P (with the 4S convertor cable) in which I bought 14 pairs of cheap foam earplugs purported to isolate NRR 33dB of sound; suffice it to say, it did not work out at all and I got a full refund. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to do any modification to the ear tips for the Etymotic ER-4 MicroPro earphones because of their patented design. You MUST purchase the package of either black or large yellow foam tips with the special clear plastic tubing in the middle from Etymotic, HeadRoom Corporation, or Todd the Vinyl & Headphone Junkie in order to be able to use ANY foam tips properly. Do not waste your time or money trying to do aftermarket modifications especially with anything made of foam whatsoever IF it is not made by Etymotic for their ER-4 MicroPro earphones!

I tried the large yellow foam tips and they were excellent. I found that the sound "opened up" quite a bit and the seal was excellent: tight yet comfy. You can obtain a package of large yellow foam tips designed exclusively for the Etymotic ER-4 MicroPro earphones from HeadRoom Corporation: http://www.headphone.com.

The only "downside" to the foam tips is that you get noticeably less sound isolation for increased perceived comfort. I can't abide by that personally but to each his own.

Nov 29, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 8
I was sucessfull to use drug store earplug foamy for the etymotic. But I had to remove the inner plastic tube of the old black foamy to use it with the new foamy I didn't try without the plastic tube but It work very well More confortable than the abrasive black foamy.

I don't do it anymore because I got use to the silicone tip much easier.

Here a link on someone else who has done it

DIY Etymotic Earplugs

also Fixup.net has done it but he don't give any detail.
http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

check toward the buttom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back