ER-4P, ER-4S, IPOD Shuffle, Laptop, please help!
Apr 12, 2005 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

senn600help

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone out there would be kind enough to help me with:

I recently bought an Ipod Shuffle. It was immediately obvious that I'd have to get rid of the earbuds and get something better. So I browsed these forums and after reading a lot, it seemed that the Sony 888 (something like that) earbuds were a good candidate. I went into Tokyo (I live in Japan) and tried them out and was pretty disappointed ... they are better than the Ipod buds, but the difference isn't nearly as dramatic as I'd hoped. So, I browsed more here, and now I think the new prime candidate are the ER-4Ps, they seem very popular. They're expensive though, so before I take the plunge, I'm wondering.....

1. I'd like to use them both with the shuffle while 'on the road', and directly from my computer at home. Am I right to think that I should get the ER-4P and not the ER-4S? The Ipod Shuffle won't really be able to drive the ER-4S ... right? Or am I mistaken? I don't have an amp and don't plan to get one anytime soon. (the sound quality should be the same from both phones, right? its just a matter of the power they need......? the er-4p are ideal for both the shuffle and the laptop, is this right? or should i really be thinking about er-4s?)

2. I like to fall asleep listening to music sometimes. I've read here that the ER-4S/P are comfortable enough to lie on if youre on a pillow, but looking at the pictures, they look like they could just snap into pieces. Are they delicate and not appropriate to lie on, or are they comfortable to lie on, with no real chance of breakage?

3. The sound quality really is better than the er-6i, right? I've read that here a few times, so I believe it. Just making sure, as I can't test either before buying.....

Thank you so much for any help. I'm kind of clueless out here...but I have the Senn HD600 phones, and am addicted to the great sound, so I just can't deal with anything less at this point. The Ipod buds sound terrible to me.
Mark

Apr 12, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 7
Well you're use to a decent bass extension with the Senns, so you should probably go with the ER4P (you may even like them more than the Senns - I go back and forth). You can always buy a 'S' adapter later. Only spent about 15 minutes with a Shuffle, but I'm assuming it could drive the ER4S, maybe not to the point where it pushes it past the ER4P though.

Also the Etys aren't as fragile as they look, though they do stick out at an angle, which conceivably can cause issues with pillow use.

Two other questons:
What compression are you using on the Shuffle?
If you have no amp, what are you driving the HD600s with?

Apr 12, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi. Thanks for the replies so far.....

1. >>Check out this review where they compare the HD600 among other >>phones with the Ety4p.
>> http://arstechnica.com/reviews/other/HiFiHeadphones.ars

Thanks, I read it. It's helpful, lets me know I'm on the right track here!

>> Well you're use to a decent bass extension with the Senns, so you should >>probably go with the ER4P (you may even like them more than the Senns - I go back and forth).

So ... I can expect better bass if I get the ER4P rather than the ER4S?? That's important, as I've read that the ER4s aren't known for strong bass anyway, which kind of bothers me, as I definitely LIKE powerful bass ..... but anyway the ER4s seem to get such acclaim that I want them. So if I can expect more bass with the ER4P rather than the ER4S, without a loss in treble/clarity etc, then - the ER4P is for me. (sounds like a bad ad).

>> Only spent about 15 minutes with a Shuffle, but I'm assuming it could >>drive the ER4S, maybe not to the point where it pushes it past the ER4P >>though.

I'm still confused about which I should get though. If the Shuffle can drive the ER4S, then would they be preferable? Or should I just clearly stick with the ER4S for my needs? I guess the problem is that I don't really understand how they differ ....

>>What compression are you using on the Shuffle?

Most are MP3s, from 128 - 192 Kbps. With better headphones, I'd make better quality files though.

>>If you have no amp, what are you driving the HD600s with?

Just a laptop computer, that's it. I know thats pretty weak, but it sounds good...... I plan to get an amp at some point, but right now the priority is definitely to replace the ghastly IPOD earbuds.....

It'd good to know that the construction on the ER4s is good. I do plan to sleep leaning on them ..... if anyone out there does this I'd appreciate hearing about the experience .... no problems?

Thanks!
Mark

Apr 12, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 7
I was just searching around, and it seems that "Headroom", advertised on this website, has a good price on the ER4P/S, very comparible to ebay auction prices. If I might add a question to the above ..... is Headroom a good, reliable place to buy from? I assume it is, but I'd just like to confirm it before I buy. Reliable?
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Thanks.....

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 7
>Those guys are very passionate about what they do.
>Highly recommended.

Thanks, that's really good to know ... I think I'll buy from them then. Their prices are great... not quite as low as some others I found with "froogle", but I don't trust the absolute cheapest places....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back