ER-4P--->Er-4S Adapter Cable
Jun 8, 2003 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Knocturnal

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to buy the Er-4Ps but i want the adapter cable so I can see which one I like more. I was wondering if the one that Ety makes is good and if it reall worth the $50. If someone makes a high quality cable could you please tell me who. I am willing to pay the $50 but only if it is the last possible alternative.

Jun 8, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 9
I think fixup.net has a cable too. You might want to check it out or write to forum DIYers like JMT or Tangent.

Jun 8, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 9
I too am interested about this adapter cable business. I am pretty sure if I get the 4P's I'd get the P>S adapter cable for greater versatility as well. Does anybody have either the official Ety cable or the one from fixup.net, are they any good?

Also if anyone has a DIY cable- how well does it perform and how much did it cost to make? It is under my impression that making a cable is very easy (just some simple soldering, I've made other non-audio cables before) but my question is if I'm trying to get quality components to make a cable (precision resistors, silver solder, high quality plug connectors, etc) it will end up costing me more in parts (seeings' how I only need a very small amount of materials, and their probable low avaliablity) than just buying the cable outright.

Ruahrc

Edit: It looks like the guy at fixup is not a fan of the Etys, quoting that the microphonics and the "weak bass" are problems enough for potential buyers to pass. He said that in environments with external noise or movement- even with the Ety isolation, the bass response gets easily overwhelmed leaving you with a sub-par phone. Do any Ety owners agree with this? I think I might take my Koss Plugs back out and run a few tests of my own, as they have similar design and might give some insight on to these comments.

Jun 8, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Ruahrc & Knocturnal,

Is the cable good and worth the 50$? In one word, yes!!
I don't know of anyone else making them though...although I'm sure JMT could make one. Take a look at my profile...out of all those phones, the Ety's are the best, IMO. They are well worth the money...you will simply, in another one word statement, be AMAZED!!! And if yo do not get the correct seal or use the correct tips, you will not like them...so be sure to get that right, VERY important! And the 4S is way better than the 4P, you just have to drive the 4S with a good amp and source, otherwise you won't see their potential(deeper bass and more clear hgihs). Hope this helps
biggrin.gif
Ask away if you need to know anything else
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 9
I just made myself a 4P -> 4S converter cable, and it was indeed very simple to make. I used 80 ohm vishay dale 1/8W resistors, gold plated stress relief miniplugs (not sure of the brand) and some stock cord from an old 70s style coiled headphone extension cable.

The only (relatively) significant cost I incurred were the miniplugs, which were 6 bucks for both. The resistors are under a buck. I could imagine the cord adding some cost, depending on what you choose, but so long as you don't go above $5/foot (which in my opinion is WAY excessive given that you're plugging them into your stock ety cable anyway) you will come out ahead. The soldering is simple and my cable works beautifully.

As far as the bass question goes, I would say that it is a bit reduced while i'm walking around. In fact, it is not so much that bass is reduced, as it is that internal sounds (walking, breathing, chewing, blood pumping, etc.) generate a lot of low bass background in my ears. The isolation is fantastic, but it also results in *internal* sounds staying inside my ear. Hence I can hear myself breathe, when I'm walking I can hear my heels hitting the pavement, and I can hear my heartbeat and blood rushing in my ears if I sit quietly. These low vibratory sounds are in the bass range, so they can obscure the music's bass.

On the flip side, I should say that the benefits of the sound isolation far outweigh the negatives. Several others have expostulated on those benefits ad nauseum so I'll let you read those threads.

Isolation aside, the sound is better than anything I've ever heard before (or since). The bass is different from over-ear headphones because it doesn't vibrate your head...it is a pure signal felt only at the eardrum, which takes some getting used to. Having heard it, I will never go back.

Hope this helps!

Jun 8, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 9
I got a couple of questions for you Zeplin.
1) Would you recommend skipping the 4P and just go straight to the 4S.
2) What amp would you recommend, im thinking of a portable JMT META42
3) Is the cord on the 4P less microphonic than the 4S, thats what it says on the ety site.
Thanks

Jun 8, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 9
1. I would recommend getting the 4P and then making or buying a cable. That way, you have the best for both worlds. If you just had the 4S, you really wouldn't be able to use it for portable use as it NEEDS an amp. To me, and a lot of others, the 4S used with a good quality amp is worlds better than the 4P!

2. The META would do a fine job. Many other members have this combo. How much money you are willing to put into it, will make the difference btwn awesome and totally astounding sound quality. I have a HR Cosmic and it work wonders!

3. I never have any microphonic problems with my 4P or 4S (I have the adapter). When going to school, I use it every day while riding BART and then walking the rest of the way. It's very simple, wrap the cord around your ears, use the shirt clip, and you should have no problems with microphonics like I do. I have heard others say the 4S cord is a tad bit less microphonic...but I suggest this...still get the 4P w/ adapter because, IMO, the 4P cord is more stiff, stays in place, and wobbles around a lot less therefore causing less microphonics.
Let all of us know what you end up getting. Good luck to you
smily_headphones1.gif

edit>>>Oh, I almost forgot, I use the foam tips, which for me have way less microphincs. So that will play a role too.

Jun 8, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks a lot I think I will go with the Er-4P with the adapter, do you have the official ety one. I would get the cosmic but thats just a little too much green for me too put out. Thanks for the replies.
BTW I heard a lot of people prefer the rubber tips over the foam tips, Its kind of a matter of preference.

Jun 9, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 9
88keys:

Can you give me some more details on the constructon of your adapter cable? You say that the parts didn't cost much, which is good to hear- except where did you get them? I have never done any kind of audio DIY and therefore have no idea where to purchase audio-grade components. Whenever I am doing DIY it's just for simple electronics and therefore radio shack is all I need. Would I need to go to an exotic audio store or online site to get these components?

Also, what kind of solder are you using? Like I said my DIY is basic stuff so I just have some regular Radio Shack solder- were you using high grade or audio grade (or silver) solder?

Also- I should note that my current audio equipment does not include an amp. Having said this is it still worth it to get the adapter cable? Or should I hold off on it until I get an amp, and then get the adapter cable then? My original incentive for getting the adapter cable is that the headphone port on my PM5.1's is a little hissy (can this be fixed in any way?) and I noticed that when I plugged in my cheapo old cans of 120ohm impedance they had less hiss than my 60ohm KSC-35's. Therefore I reasoned out that the 100ohm impedance of the 4S's would help with the hiss when compared to the 27ohm impedance of the 4P's. Or does impedance have nothing to do with it and simple quality of headphone should help out with it?

Here's my current (and very VERY meager) audio setup (read: poor college student who is just getting into audio and has enough willpower to have limited his spending to reasonable amounts
smily_headphones1.gif
)

iPod 10GB
KSC-35
Audigy 1 X-Gamer
Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers (I should note that the official specs on the speakers list the headphone output jack to have +6dB of amplification. I have no idea if this qualifies as "amplified" as you guys put it, however.)

Most likely I will separate my 5.1's from my PC next year and put them in the living room, so for my computer I'd basically be driving straight out of the Audigy jack. Would having the adapter cable help out if I were driving straight out of the audigy then?

Ruahrc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back