ER-4P and heavy metal - Meh
Jan 23, 2004 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Hunter_Killer

100+ Head-Fier
After making sure that the Etys were fully broken into, I compared the ER4Ps with my SR80, and i must admit I prefer the cheaper Grados by a long margin for listening to heavy metal.

The bass on the Etys are there, but unexciting. Inadequate bass slam and impact really take the edge out of the drums and general attack notes in my favourite albums like Fear Factory's Demanufacture and Sepultura's Roots. The sound is just simply fails to hype me up and I often feel nothing where I normally would feel something. Though some people may say SR80 is coloured this and coloured that, it has deeper bass and great slam, and seen generally MUCH MUCH better than Etys for this genre. I probably will relegate the Etys for when Im on the bus, which is why I bought it in the first place Any thoughts?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 40
If head-banging is your game, then consider the DT770 with a PIMETA or better. Not nearly as portable than the Etys but more satisfying.

If you like your metal rolled off (I do not) then the E5 is about the only ultra portable choice which is isolated. The Stax SR-001 Mk II outperforms the E5 on definition while offering similar benefits in the representation of bass and mids, but it's not isolated, nowhere near as portable nor as handy to carry.

Jan 23, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 40
For heavy metal, I wanna rip the Ety's out of my ears. LOL.
But for alternative rock, specifically more "bluesy" rock like Stone Temple Pilots and Pink Floyd, the ER-4S is remarkable IMHO.

Just match them up to the right type of music and they are great.

BANGPOD

Jan 23, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by BANGPOD
For heavy metal, I wanna rip the Ety's out of my ears. LOL.
But for alternative rock, specifically more "bluesy" rock like Stone Temple Pilots and Pink Floyd, the ER-4S is remarkable IMHO.

Now, now, now, ripping the Etys out of your ears would be pretty damned painful....
eek.gif
I am still shivering at the thought.

I've actually come to the sad conclusion that almost *any* headphone would be better than the Etys for head-banging --especially on the iPod. It's a doomed combination.

For the other stuff though? Simply brilliant! I got very cranky at the idea of having to be without my Etys when I give them to my oft-travelling boyfriend so I ordered a second pair.... Still trying to figure out which Shure I'm going to end up with for getting my ya-ya's out, but I just couldn't stand to be without my Etys.

Must be true love.
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Hunter_Killer
Cheers for the replieds. Bangraman whats the bass on the DT770 like? Is it controlled and tight or just cheap subwoofer bass ?

IMO it's way more controlled and tight than most "bassphones" (i.e. the KSC35, Porta-pro, V6, V600, etc.) but not as tight as say a Grado. It goes down very deep, and has unparalled slam. It's slightly exaggerated in comparison to the mids, which makes the bass and drums stand out more than the vocals or guitars when listening to metal. It's a rythm section can. Great for headbanging, but you do lose some detail and musicality on more melodic pieces. I liked them for quite a while, but eventually grew tired of their over-bassiness. They are very well suited to metal, if you don't mind listening to the rythm section over the others. It's a much more 'full" sound than any Grados (save the HP1000), becuase the slam is not quite as fast, but much heavier. It's like the difference between a hammer and a sledgehammer.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 40
Does everyone agree with these comments? I was thinking about getting a pair of ER-4Ps, but I listen to a lot of metal. I know the bass won't be as good as other canalphones, but I'm not one of those people who thinks that bass is the only thing that matters with metal.

Other than bass, are the 4Ps really that competely terrible with metal?

Mar 4, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 40
I'm a metalhead.

I am anxiously awaiting the arival of my ATH-A900's for home listening. I'll give a report once I receive them and listen.

For portable listening, I am quite happy with my Future Sonics EM3's with ETY extra large foamies.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 40
I just listened to FF's Demanufacture a few hours ago on the SR-404's. I had tears streaming down my face! What the hell!! I'm not into FF or anything like that, it's just that at this particular moment in time, it touched a nerve so to speak, and I was moved a lot more than I thought I would be.

Which brings me to my point - I'm really surprised at how well electrostats do with metal, especially the SR-404 and SR-001 Mk II. Their speed and clarity lets them keep up with even the fastest and hardest recordings, and resolve everything absolutely effortlessly while retaining the tonal characteristics of each individual instrument as it was recorded. I don't find them lacking in impact at all - unless of course it's the music that is lacking in impact.

I routinely "torture-test" my electrostats so see if there's something that they can't handle - there isn't. I've thrown Nile, Cryptopsy, Meshuggah, Suffocation, and the like at them, and they've been absolutely flawless so far. Hearing the cymbal textures in Nile's "Black Seeds of Vengeance" while the drummer's blastbeating at 20 beats per second is really something else.

The Ety's, on the other hand, I just can't stand with metal. They have a bright treble, and worse still, an upper-midrange glare that just makes distorted guitars and some vocals (mostly female vocals) painful to listen to. It's somewhat similar to how guitars sound on the HD590, with slightly recessed body and amplified distortion, but a whole lot worse. Yes, I'm getting a proper seal
etysmile.gif
The Ety's shine with some acoustic and nearly all electronic music, but rock/metal isn't something they're meant for.

You can try the Stax SR-001 Mk II. I don't see how it'll be any harder to carry around than the Beyer DT770
lambda.gif
Shouldn't cost that much more, either ($240 or so).

Mar 5, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 40
I'm thinking of getting ER6i's for my Nomad Zen (going to italy in a few weeks, need entertainment for plane/train rides). How do they fare as far as portable headphones go for metal? I won't be using an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back