Jul 2, 2009 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Audiophile_Apprentice

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, so I have a pair of ER-4P's, and need an amp with certain credentials:

Bass Boost
Portability
PtoS switch (75 ohm resistance)
>$300

I have found that both the Minibox-E+ and the Practical Devices XM5 meet these standards (although the XM5 would be very top-of-budget)

So I'd very much appreciate feedback on which amp you believe has the best sound quality and overall quality, especially if you've used them with ER-4's.

Also I've looked at the Decware Zen Head, seems like best SQ but lacks features.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 7
bass bost, portability, built in p-to-s switch... sounds like a xin amp to me (supermini or supermacro).... your best bet would probably be to put a WTB notice up in the FS section. Xin amps tend to work well for etys cuz the guy's a ety nut himself.
Avoid ordering new from him if you can... unless you don't mind a 2 year wait etc....

Jul 2, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 7
xin amp... i don't want any part of a product from someone who doesn't seem to care at all about customer service and satisfaction

I went ahead and went with the minibox... seemed like the most logical choice

only bad thing is a rechargable battery instead of just taking alkalines like a iwould've liked... ohwell

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 7
I quite liked my ER4P with the Minibox E+, the Pico amp/dac, and the mini^3 diy amp, but needed to use the S cable with the latter, and usually used it with the others. I used my Etys without an amp at all 95% of the time because without the S cable, I didn't find the very small increase in sq to to be worth the hassle of lugging around an amp.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 7
These are not dark so you can afford to go with an amp that tends toward a warmer presentation.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 7
I am in the same situation as the OP, although looking for something a tad cheaper. The Corda Headsix looks very interesting, can anyone comment on its synergy with the er-4p? I do not necessarily need bass boost, but would definitely prefer an amp on the warmer side of neutral.

PS. I feel a bit bad about hijacking the thread but note that the OP has already decided on the minibox. DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back