ER-4 phones - which version?
May 20, 2007 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

adymcd

New Head-Fier
Ok. I have just gone to order a pair of the er-4 phones only to be greated with the option of the 's' model and the 'p' model. The 's' is apparently for audiophile musicians and the 'p' is for use with portable devices as it is +10db.

Which one should I buy to use with my ipod both direct and through a small amp such as the C & C Box V2 or the new TTJV valve amp?

If I bought the 'p' model you can buy a cable which turns the 'p' into an 's', do you think the sound quality will suffer?

May 21, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 8
The p-to-s cable just ups the impedance. It makes the phones harder to drive, and less succeptable to noise. An amp will do the s model(or with the p-to-s cable) good.

May 21, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 8
The sound from the ER-4P + the cable equals that of the ER-4S. Since there are more connections, or "links in the chain," technically, the ER-4P plus the cable would have more signal degradation. However, this would be like comparing an iPod dock w/ female jack connector vs. iPod dock with a cable going out of it, terminated with a male jack connector. With the latter configuration, there are less connections or links in the chain, so theoretically/technically, there is less signal degradation.

Many ER-4P users wish that they have bought the ER-4S in the first place, because the ER-4S are still very drivable. The ER-4S can be driven with no problem from a 4G iPod (I have had no experience listening to my ety's with any other generation of iPod, so others may share their experiences here).

The last paragraph was just for your consideration. You may still get the ER-4P. YMMV. I wish I have just bought the ER-4S in the first place (only for the sake of convenience). It may be different for you.

May 21, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Many ER-4P users wish that they have bought the ER-4S in the first place, because the ER-4S are still very drivable. The ER-4S can be driven with no problem from a 4G iPod (I have had no experience listening to my ety's with any other generation of iPod, so others may share their experiences here).

The last paragraph was just for your consideration. You may still get the ER-4P. YMMV. I wish I have just bought the ER-4S in the first place (only for the sake of convenience). It may be different for you.

OP: I asked this same question a little while back, and while a couple of head-fi'ers responsed similarly to the above opinion, at least one response believed that while the ER-4S could be driven straight from the iPod's headphone out, he did not believe that it drove them well. No experience myself, just passing along info form a previous thread. I am interested in this myself, so maybe we will get more responses on the subject this time around...

May 21, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 8
I received a pair of ER4P's this past Xmas, picked up a (nice DIY) P->S adapter and, after a few listens with several different sources/amps, sold the adapter because the 'phones just sounded better (to me, of course) without the added impedance.

I don't know what the price tag difference is between the P & S versions of the Etys right now. If it's substantial ($75 - $100), I'd recommend picking up the version P and having a reputable DIYer build you an adapter. I had mine built to custom specs with quality materials for only $30.

Then, as I already wrote above, sold it off because I didn't like the way my cans sounded with it, but YMMV . . .

May 22, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The P and the S versions of the ER4? sell for pretty much the same. I prefer the sound out of the ER4S.

Should not be a problem to you buddy, with the amps that you have ER-4S will shine and sings to the fullest. For unamped use, ER-4P is still the better ones, using ER-4S is possible but it will only deliver 70% of its full potential.

May 22, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should not be a problem to you buddy, with the amps that you have ER-4S will shine and sings to the fullest. For unamped use, ER-4P is still the better ones, using ER-4S is possible but it will only deliver 70% of its full potential.

What amps?
blink.gif
You mean I have amps?
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back