ER-4 (P or S) Which To Choose?
Nov 28, 2005 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dylan_Fan

New Head-Fier
Can anyone please tell me which version of the ER-4 would be a better choice? Does the "S" sound better? Is the "P" more versatile? I plan to use them with my iPod Mini, and the Super Macro-3 that I just ordered yesterday.

Yes, this is my first post. Hello everyone. I registered a couple weeks ago because I wanted to order a pair of HF-1s, only to find out from Todd that I was one day too late! Oh well, I am finding that this site is making me want to spend my money on a lot of other things anyway. From what I learned by lurking here, I already bought A-900s to use with my PC, and ER-6is for the iPod, and I am really really happy with both of them. Never thought I would buy an amp, but I did.

Now I want some even better canalphones (didn't think I would like them, but I do). Please help me decide which one. Thank you.

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Generally the rule is ER4P (power) for ampless and ER4S (stereo I believe) for amped. The P gives you a little more bass the S a little more detail. The most versatile is to get the ER4P and then a S adapter. It will cost you a little more, but you get both phones. If you're like me you'll not want to carry around an amp all the time.

To be fair the ER4P does benefit from an amp and the iPods power the ER4S fine without an amp (just better with). It's just those are the conditions they are made for and how I tend to use them.

EDIT: ... and welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 8
When I bought mine, my thinking was:
P can be an S, but S can't be a P.

Of course, I didn't/don't have a portable amp so it was easier to choose.

2 head-fi induced purchases already before the first post. I see potential!
biggrin.gif
Very sorry for your wallet!

Nov 28, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
To be fair the ER4P does benefit from an amp and the iPods power the ER4S fine without an amp (just better with).

Classical music is often recorded at "low volume" (someone posted an article about this ; they do so to preserve the dynamic range of the recording). When using the ER4S straight out of an ipod, this can be problematic with certain recordings, as turning the volume all the way up is sometimes not enough.

Nov 28, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan_Fan
Can anyone please tell me which version of the ER-4 would be a better choice? Does the "S" sound better? Is the "P" more versatile? I plan to use them with my iPod Mini, and the Super Macro-3 that I just ordered yesterday...

Did you order SM3 with the feature switches? If you did, then the impedance switch will transform the 4P into 4S anyway. Though my 4P is always plugged in with the ER4P-24, even when connecting to the SM3. I feel the 4P is a little skewed toward the mid bass region.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 8
I recommend you buy the 4P. The 4P and 4S are identical phones, save for a difference in impedance. I own the 4P and the P to S connector, and have experimented listening to both P and S from my iPods (3G, 5G, and nano). On an unamped iPod, I cannot perceive a sound quality difference. The difference is with the S you need to max out the volume to get an acceptable listening level (the 3G iPod won't go loud enough, the 5G (video) and the nano have enough juice, but you're still at the very top of the volume spectrum).

The advantage to the S is that when you're using a good amp, it will allow the Ety's to sound their best (although I haven't spent much time comparing P to S amped). If your Super Macro 3 includes the ability to make your P into an S, you're golden. If not, you can then buy the P to S adapter, either now or at a later time.

Nov 29, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Thank you everyone for your feedback. The ER4P it is, and then an adapter cable later if I ever need it. I like my ER6is so much that I can hardly wait to hear something even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back