ER-4 isolation
Apr 27, 2002 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Strogian

100+ Head-Fier
All right guys, I'm still figuring out how to put these ER-4's in. I'd like to have the opinions of a bunch of people here, on how much isolation you really get with the ER-4's. (Both when you are listening to music, and when you have them in but aren't listening to anything) I thought I had a pretty good idea of how to put them in, but then I saw a post (at headwize I think), that said that he knew he had a good seal when he couldn't hear his LAWN MOWER?? Now this was probably while playing music, but I can even hear my dehumidifier in the background during fairly quiet parts of music. (I can't hear it clearly unless I stand right next to it, but I at least can tell that the dehumidifier is running...) I can also usually understand people talking to me, or shouting down the steps to me, when I mute it.

I am putting them in exactly as the directions (and posts on this board) suggest, except that I do not wet them first. Is this a crucial step? I'd like to avoid it if possible, as it seems like it would be tedious to have to do that.

Apr 27, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 6
When I am listening to music such as rock or hip hop (not rap, hip-hop) I can't hear anything while the music is playing.

When I mute the music and listen with the white tips, I can hear sounds close to me fairly clear like the opening and closing of cd jewel cases, tapping the desk, unzipping bags, etc. I can hear a little bit of what's going on downstairs too if the TV is at a high enough volume downstairs (which it usually is)

Moistening the tips really helps with a good seal. I usually pull upwards on my ear and insert the Etys at a 45 degree angle. I put them in sideways and twist them to the right position to get a good seal, though with the fixup replacement cord I have it is a little bit harder.

Apr 27, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 6
which tips are you using ,flange or foam. With the foam you wont get complete isolation but enough to enjoy the music and get a good seal.
If youre using the flange rubber tips you can get good isolation but I found that you have to insert them pretty deep and to me its a little uncomfortable; besides it affects the sound balance between highs and lows.
Either way these are the best HP with better isolation than anything I've heard yet

Apr 27, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

...then I saw a post (at headwize I think), that said that he knew he had a good seal when he couldn't hear his LAWN MOWER??

That would be me......and that's using the ER6s, which have less isolation than the ER4. With the ER4 and silicon tips, with music playing at normal, not loud, volume, I can't hear anything.......no phone, no dog barking, no wife.....NOTHING! I love it.
PS.....I find I have to moisten the tips (yes, with spit), to get a good seal. Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 6
I've had much better results with the foamies. I've used mine with wood working tools and an iPod and the isolation is very good.

Apr 29, 2002 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 6
i too had much better luck with the smaller foamies. i wanted to use the flangs, but just never seemed to get the performance that i get from the foamies. and the foamies are sooo much easier to use . just pop em in, wait about 30 seconds or so until they expand(although if you don't , you'll know they are by hearing the bass increasing. pretty neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back