Equipment racks - yay or nay?
Feb 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Yoga

1000+ Head-Fier
I'd be interested to hear opinions on expensive audio racks for headphone equipment, specifically from those with actual experience.

They make perfect sense for speakers, disk spinners, and perhaps tubes, but solid state? I'm not convinced that day-to-day vibrations can effect electrical signals (I have a Masters in Advanced Computer Science), but I'm by no means versed in the scientific world of audio.

Please, no assumptions or inherited beliefs (to avoid the USB cable type argument). Experienced ears only :¬)

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 16
I was going to post about how racks are at the least helpful in a utilitarian and aesthetic sense.

...But since this thread is apparently about vibration control, I could only link you to reviews.

If you want me to list ones I know about, I'll be happy to share.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 16
  I was going to post about how racks are at the least helpful in a utilitarian and aesthetic sense.

...But since this thread is apparently about vibration control, I could only link you to reviews.

If you want me to list ones I know about, I'll be happy to share.

That would be much appreciated :¬)

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 16
Here are a few companies that offer vibration control solutions. (Not just racks.)

Audiav
Audiophile Base
Audiophile Vibration Control
Mapleshade
Nordost
Solid-Tech
Solidsteel
Stillpoints
Symposium

Since not many people bother with vibration control, you should just look up the reviews on Google. I recommend starting your research with the Stillpoints ESS Rack.

This isn't directed at you, but it really irks me when people make assumptions about things they haven't even tried themselves. There is far more to audio than dogmatic skeptics would have you believe. A former Sennheiser engineer told me that using vibration control with virtually every electronic component yields noticeable results - even with platforms under power strips!

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 16
  Here are a few companies that offer vibration control solutions. (Not just racks.)

Audiav
Audiophile Base
Audiophile Vibration Control
Mapleshade
Nordost
Solid-Tech
Solidsteel
Stillpoints
Symposium

Since not many people bother with vibration control, you should just look up the reviews on Google. I recommend starting your research with the Stillpoints ESS Rack.

This isn't directed at you, but it really irks me when people make assumptions about things they haven't even tried themselves. There is far more to audio than dogmatic skeptics would have you believe. A former Sennheiser engineer told me that using vibration control with virtually every electronic component yields noticeable results - even with platforms under power strips!

Thank you MA.

Indeed. Some people tend to get lost in the details of technology, rather than lost in the enjoyment of music.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 16
Feb 1, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 16

That's in the range I would spend on my first rack after getting enough high-end audio gear.

Once you see the price for that ESS Rack, your jaw will drop.

If it weren't for my chin resting on my hand, my jaw would have likely dropped. That's insane!

All relative though. There is a buyer at any price point :¬)

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 16
I would have been a sceptic on rack and vibration control however myself and an audiophile friend were trying out Still points on my rig today with surprisingly positive results. We alternated  the still points between the amp (Cavalli LAu) with no great impact, the DAC (Bricasti M1) low impact and the CD transport (Woo WTP1) with dramatic results. We found the stillpoints increased the soundstage, improved separation and noted an increased sense of space in the music with the transport almost to the stage of overly detailed. Standard redbooks sounded really impactful.. It did seem to have an effect on bass response and bass impact however whereby it lessened somewhat. Was a fun experiment which resulted in me placing an order for 3 still points.

The big surprise was the impact of quality power cables which had a dramatic performance improvement over the crappy standard model. We were really surprised by these.

So overall I'd say yay regarding racks and vibration reduction for some audio gear but instead would pick up power cables before the stand.

May 29, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 16
I have the Stillpoints ESS rack.

It's nothing short of incredible.

It allows your gear to perform at their highest potential. And that potential is way higher than I ever thought possible.

I was able to pick it up used, as the new prices are insane.

May 29, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 16
  I have the Stillpoints ESS rack.

It's nothing short of incredible.

It allows your gear to perform at their highest potential. And that potential is way higher than I ever thought possible.

I was able to pick it up used, as the new prices are insane.

*sigh* I am so genuinely sad with jealousy.

Can you go into (much) greater detail on the sonic improvements you experienced with it?

May 30, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 16
I wouldn't know where to start . .

My digital setup has a musical flow and tonal richness that's just addictive.

And there's that magical quality where notes emerge and float from a quiet space. 

The sheer scale and dynamics increases several magnitudes.

It just gives you insight into the music. You may have heard a track a thousand times, but it's like hearing it for the first time in it's full glory.

It's the final piece in my journey. I can swap out components to change flavors but this as good as it gets.

*sigh* I am so genuinely sad with jealousy.

Can you go into (much) greater detail on the sonic improvements you experienced with it?

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 16
  I wouldn't know where to start . .

My digital setup has a musical flow and tonal richness that's just addictive.

And there's that magical quality where notes emerge and float from a quiet space. 

The sheer scale and dynamics increases several magnitudes.

It just gives you insight into the music. You may have heard a track a thousand times, but it's like hearing it for the first time in it's full glory.

It's the final piece in my journey. I can swap out components to change flavors but this as good as it gets.

Speaker setup I assume? Care to elaborate on the gear? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back