Equipment needed for powering DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm headphones, but still having "Virtual Surround"?
Dec 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Fapguy

New Head-Fier
I was reading around on every site I could find, mostly yours that popped up, but couldn't find anything that was exactly the same problem as mine...

My ears have decided for the DT 990 Pro headphones, they feel so damn good, I'm open for other suggestions but comfortability is king on these.

SO, the question is, how do I maintain Virtual Surround while eliminating static noise?

My Siberia V2's broke and it's time for an upgrade, so I won't have a mic either! I had a bit of static on my Mic when I wasn't talking, and it was very noticeable, I want that gone!

Long story short: Need DT 990 Pro, need microphone that doesn't pick up too much background noise, need "Virtual Surround" for games.

I have been using Razer Surround with my Siberia V2's and it does an ok job, but I once had a X-Fi Titanium, with CMSS-3D, and it was much much better at positioning the audio source. I guess I could still use Razer Surround if that was in any way possible?

My brain really just cannot put all this together, so I keep restarting, and I fear I won't ever get anything done without help, hah, slowpoke brain :frowning2:

I haven't bought anything, so I am open for suggestions aswell.

I really need your help, thanks!

:edit: I was looking at the Sound Blaster Z since people said it would "adequately" power the DT 990's, and it also comes with a beam forming mic, but is "adequately" good enough?

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 16
  I was reading around on every site I could find, mostly yours that popped up, but couldn't find anything that was exactly the same problem as mine...
My ears have decided for the DT 990 Pro headphones, they feel so damn good, I'm open for other suggestions but comfortability is king on these.
SO, the question is, how do I maintain Virtual Surround while eliminating static noise?
My Siberia V2's broke and it's time for an upgrade, so I won't have a mic either! I had a bit of static on my Mic when I wasn't talking, and it was very noticeable, I want that gone!
Long story short: Need DT 990 Pro, need microphone that doesn't pick up too much background noise, need "Virtual Surround" for games.
I have been using Razer Surround with my Siberia V2's and it does an ok job, but I once had a X-Fi Titanium, with CMSS-3D, and it was much much better at positioning the audio source. I guess I could still use Razer Surround if that was in any way possible?
My brain really just cannot put all this together, so I keep restarting, and I fear I won't ever get anything done without help, hah, slowpoke brain :frowning2:
I haven't bought anything, so I am open for suggestions as well.
edit: I was looking at the Sound Blaster Z since people said it would "adequately" power the DT 990's, and it also comes with a beam forming mic, but is "adequately" good enough?

For a given budget ($80), the Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box with mic) is about the best you could do.

You could get a used Titanium sound card ($50) and a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier ($99).

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 16
I guess then the Sound Blaster Z is what I'm going to get for the DT 990's if enough people think it won't hinder the performance of the headphones too noticeably.
And since it already comes with a mic, it makes my life alittle easier.. :)

I just want to be 150% sure if this soundcard is the best I could get for the price tag. I guess the Microphone is what makes it worth it?

I have an "HCS 5400 AVR", would that be useful in any way? I don't know what you call this sorta thing, I guess it's actually an amplifier? 
I've had it packed away for some time now but it seems to work perfectly fine with the 5 small speakers and the subwoofer it came with.. so, could this be used along with the Sound Blaster Z?

Thanks for the help so far!

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 16
  I guess then the Sound Blaster Z is what I'm going to get for the DT 990's if enough people think it won't hinder the performance of the headphones too noticeably.
And since it already comes with a mic, it makes my life a little easier.. :)
I just want to be 150% sure if this sound card is the best I could get for the price tag. I guess the Microphone is what makes it worth it?
I have an "HCS 5400 AVR", would that be useful in any way? I don't know what you call this sorta thing, I guess it's actually an amplifier? 
I've had it packed away for some time now but it seems to work perfectly fine with the 5 small speakers and the sub-woofer it came with.. so, could this be used along with the Sound Blaster Z?
Thanks for the help so far!

I'm going to guess the HCS 5400 is not going to be any better for driving the headphones, but your well come to try.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for all the help PurpleAngel!

Okay, so..
DT 990 Pro 250 ohm
Sound Blaster Z + the mic that comes with it

Does anyone see any problems with this setup or better alternatives for either?

I guess I'm being a baby right now, needing re-assurance in everything.. :p

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 16
  Thanks for all the help PurpleAngel!
Okay, so..
DT 990 Pro 250 ohm
Sound Blaster Z + the mic that comes with it
Does anyone see any problems with this setup or better alternatives for either?
I guess I'm being a baby right now, needing re-assurance in everything.. :p

So your asking people who may own 20 headphones and 8 head amps and 5 DACs if you have made the right decision? 

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 16

I meant no offense, but from experience, it's always best to get more than one opinion on things, these things aren't exactly cheap for me :/

I'm just joking around.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 16
  I'm just joking around.

*phew*

but seriously, thanks for all the help, I've already ordered the Sound Blaster Z, and will order the headphones tomorrow.

I just really wanted a few more thumbs up, just to feel better spending half of my food money for something I don't "really" need. 
beyersmile.png

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 16
So, uhh, I just noticed... The Sound Blaster Z has something called "SBX Pro Studio" - I'm just wanting to make sure this is as good as the CMSS-3D I once tried, the soundcard is delayed since they didn't actually have any available, I am slightly relieved. I thought I read CMSS-3D :)

A few people are saying it's "good" but I can't really find anything that directly compares it to CMSS-3D.

I don't mind paying a slight bit extra for proper surround emulation, I can get a Behringer XM8500 for very little, so the Sound Blaster Z+mic combo is only worth it if the positional audio is as good as the CMSS-3D..

size]
size]

I realized maybe I should make a new thread?

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 16
I got the Sound Blaster Z, and I have to say the Microphone isn't quite up to snuff. It's okay, but, I think I'd have been happier ripping off the microphone from an old headset and clipping it on to the DT 990's. The noise cancellation is decent, so, I guess that's okay.
Beam forming doesn't seem to work AT ALL, no matter what angle I use in the software. Simply no effect whatsoever.

The sound however is superb, I'm able to turn the volume up without the bass getting weird sounding, and vocals are as clear as ever. 

But mhm, the SBX Pro Studio... I am not sure whether or not it's actually better than Razer Surround..
Also the  "Scout Mode" seems like a gimmick, all it does is turn up the sound that appears to be coming from the sides, and normalizes the level so distant/low sounds are louder, really ****s up your sense of distance. Also lowers the bass and makes it all sound as if you're in a tin can.

TL;DR

Mic 6/10
Sound 9/10 - Can only compare with my onboard audio on my z77x-UD3h which I'd say was a 6/10
Scout Mode 2/10 - Sounds like ****, but I guess it has its uses where distance doesn't matter.
Software.. Perhaps a 6/10? I mean, it's easy to use, but the "beamforming angle" and other things like the voice changing crap just simply doesn't work as it should.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for the update.

I just recieved the same setup yesterday and I'm very happy with it so far, but will probably have to return the DT-990s as I didn't realize the level of sound leakage. :frown:

My wife with her ATH-M50s can hear my sound even when she is listening to something at a low level. :basshead:

Btw, my beamforming mic seems to work good at default settings when tested listening to myself in the headphones, though I haven't skyped or recorded it yet.

I will say I don't like the UI of the software very much. It's very USB soundcard like,... The features I'd give 7 or 8/10, but the UI I'd give a 5/10. Hopefully I can take full advantage of the features despite the UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back