Equinox-recabled K701 impressions
Sep 17, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #16 of 21
9/17 Updated Impressions

Well I think it's safe to assume the Equinox is now burned in, along with [AK]Zip's XLR-1/4" cable adapter too - though I have ordered an Equinox XLR-1/4" cable adapter to go with the K701 (and HD650 too), it'll be here in October. Another thing to look forward to.
tongue.gif

The new performance of the K701 is mind-blowing. I'm not even using high-end amps with it - Gilmore Lite LE (v2 w/ DPS) and Square Wave mostly. Still alternating sources between Arcam FMJ CD33 and Ayre CX-7e while I still have the Ayre (should be sold on Audiogon soon, so I'm counting down the days). Most of my listening has been on the Gilmore Lite - I'm amazed that even this little amp is revealing so much information between the two CDPs! True to its nature it is more transparent than the Black Cube Linear was, the Arcam and Ayre sound more different than each other now.

But this isn't about impressions of the CDPs or the amp, back to the headphones and Equinox! I feel like the Equinox has overall warmed up the K701 - not by too much, but still noticeable. Mid-range is fuller, with good (but not great) presence on vocals and instruments. There's a greater "you-are-there" factor on everything now - in the sense of being able to hear the realism of instruments and their subtle textures.

Bass is probably the most developed aspect of the K701 with the Equinox. As I've said, it adds real depth to it - kinda hard to explain here, it simply adds a much greater feeling of bass "landing" into the music. Impacts aren't harder, there's no extra force, it's only that it's more tuneful. And it doesn't sound like it's being rolled off either whereas it did before - the K701 is now well able of hitting low enough to convey deep rhythms, but unlike other headphones (like the AD2000), it never pushes with force. It's still a casual, laidback bass, with a passive attitude.

I don't have much memory of the K701's previous treble with the stock cord anymore, but I can say that the entire spectrum is very well-balanced with the Equinox. The added bass depth, a swarth over the mid-range, with clear, well-defined, and quick treble. There's some room for improvement but this is just an innate weakness of the K701 IMO, that's why other headphones exist. I could see this being better with an all-silver wire to add some spark and zing - it's just slightly short of being at that level. On its own it's still fine though, and those who haven't heard a headphone like the AD2000 would likely never notice. I still need to do more critical listening of the treble, as I've still been in awe of the K701's new sound. It's definitely more detailed now, and even with less soundstage "air" it's sounding better than with the stock cord. Completely convincing and 3D.

So to sum up, I've found the Equinox to close off the ambient air of the K701 and reduce the size of the soundstage, warm up the mid-range (moreso the lower mids than the upper mids), fill out bass depth & extension, and marginally decrease treble sparkle.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #18 of 21
i'm getting to the point where i don't even have to hear/read cable impressions. my uniform experience with headphone cable upgrades - regardless of type - has been improved sound - and enough of an improvement to think that the cost paid was worthwhile. if you like a headphone and have a decent system (amp, source), then it just follows that you would want to get the most from that headphone and that is exactly what a better cable will do and has done in my experience.

the debate as to whether a better headphone cable makes a difference is, for me, over. but thanks for the impressions Asr. your insights are always welcome and worth reading.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm getting to the point where i don't even have to hear/read cable impressions. my uniform experience with headphone cable upgrades - regardless of type - has been improved sound - and enough of an improvement to think that the cost paid was worthwhile. if you like a headphone and have a decent system (amp, source), then it just follows that you would want to get the most from that headphone and that is exactly what a better cable will do and has done in my experience.

the debate as to whether a better headphone cable makes a difference is, for me, over. but thanks for the impressions Asr. your insights are always welcome and worth reading.

It depends on what you define as improvement. If a cable takes away the strengths of your most important preferences in a headphone (e.g., soundstage or detail), then it may not matter, overall, what the other improvements are.

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #20 of 21
Are you comparing the K701 with Equinox XLR+adapter with a stock K701? Or is this based on memory?

As I posted in the OP's other thread about a recabled AD2000, I think a direct comparison with a stock unit is more accurate and meaningful than memory-based impressions.

I also don't have a balanced amp yet, and am using a third-party dual XLR to 1/4 plug adapter with a K701/Black Dragon XLR. Comparing it to the stock K701 I have at hand, the two sound different, and I think the recabled K701 is better. The overall difference is not very large, though, and some of the differences are very subtle.

Some of the above comments seem exaggerated to me, more descriptive of source or amp differences than a headphone cable upgrade.

I usually use the K701's with the RSA Raptor or Lehmann Black Cube Linear.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #21 of 21
This is all based on memory Elephas, but like I said in the other thread, I have retained strong memory of the K701's sound on the stock cord with specific CD tracks. I know that's not going to be a reliable gauge for a lot of people but it's the best I can do. And even then, stock K701s seem to have some variation - I had two stock units simultaneous for a while, serial #s 2896 and 10310, they did not sound the same. As much as I tried to make myself think they did, they simply did not, there was a very noticeable difference between those two. So the stock comparison with #10310 would have been worthless anyway, I would've needed to compare with another low-serial # K701 preferrably in the 2xxx-3xxx range. Maybe if anyone around here owns one with a serial # that low (and is also well burned-in) and would be willing to loan it out I could do a comparison.

I haven't tried to exaggerate any of my points but if that's how you see it, well there's nothing I can say.

I also haven't said here that I like the Equinox K701 either, and as I've already detailed, not every effect has been positive. While it does sound better now in most aspects there are still some areas that I preferred with the stock cord. I think to get my ultimate preferential sound out of the K701 I should've used a silver cable, but the reason I went with Stefan AudioArt was due to its brand & recognition from previous well-reviewed Equinox cables along with the attractive offer that was in the MoT thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back