equation rp21 vs beyer dynamic DT770
Nov 19, 2009 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

concreteblok

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I'm going to buy my first pair of real headphones soon.
I recently bought a electronic drumset for my dorm and need a good set for playing and casual listening at my computer. (If it matters the drum brain is the alesis dm5)
The music I listen to is mostly rock (like incubus, rage against the machine, underoath).
I will be listening mostly in my dorm room on my computer with no amp.
I really like a good clear bass and a good isolation would be good.
After some research it seems the two options I stumble upon are the beyer DT770s and the equation rp21s. As far as price goes, under $200 is a must, pushing towards $150 or lower.
If you guys have any good suggestions or comments, all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 3
well if you're looking at sub $200, the DT2000s go used for about that much. I almost bought them instead of my AD700s

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 3
Hey. I happen to own both of them, well the RP-22x instead, but shouldn't be much different.

The DT770 pro is a better headphone even without and amp. Also the Beyers are definitely more comfortable and more well-build, they are also in a different price range though (almost twice the price).
The Equation aren't bad, but in my opinion we are comparing 2 headphones of different categories so in the end it's just how much you can spend.

By the way what sound card do you have? I hope you're not going use the integrated sound card with these headphones. You might want to look into buying an external DAC or sound card. And make sure you buy the 80 ohm version of the DT770 pro if you don't have an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back