Equation rp-21, AKG 240s or Sony mdr-v6
Dec 1, 2008 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lejaz

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering the rp-21's because I do a lot of late night mixing and tracking with headphones...can't disturb the neighbors with speakers. Which of the three is flatter and more true to the source? Any opinions? I have the 240's, which sound flat to me, but dull and lacking in bass compared to the sony's which I also have, and which seem too bright. Are the rp-21's the most accurate of the three? I'm about to purchase them, but want to make sure I'm getting something accurate for mixing. Thanks

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 12
If no one has used all three, can anyone compare the rp-21's at least to ONE of the other two? Anyone?

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 12
Maybe more like K240Mkll or PRO/Proline650.
The 650s are more punchy in the bass area, no low mid, and sound like a open cans. Fatal for electronic music. The K240MKll more low mid and more accurate highs. One level up is the K702, very true. You can try them on a mix that you like, and know your flaws...

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 12
I'm not familiar with either of those...only the 240S. I'm a singer, and the mdr-v6's reveal details in the voice that the 240's don't...probably because of a upper mid boost. But listening to an old Tony Bennet classic last night with both cans I found the Sony's more revealing of vocal nuances.

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 12
I use all 3 and own the eartools. I use the 240M more often then the 55 ohm S version. The RP-21 sound similar to your 240S with more low end thump(not boom), slightly less mid range sheen, and less sparkle. The 7506 by comparison can seem shrill and brittle, more like an audio magnifying glass than a window. RP-21 is far less comfortable than 240 or 7506 but compensates for this with better isolation. If you have specific ?s I can do a little shoot out on Sunday.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks buddhashenglong, for the feedback. I agree totally about the Sony's. A little too harsh/shrill for my taste, but very revealing on vocals(good analogy about the magnifying glass!). Listening to Tony Bennet and Frank Sinatra the other night and comparing the Sony's and the AKG's I was wondering which is telling the truth...probably the AKG's are closer to the sound of the real voice. But when I mix with the AKG's I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of detail that I get with the Sony's. Wouldn't you agree? But, most of all, I'd like to be able to listen to music the way the artist/producer intended it to sound....and hear my mixes the way they would sound on good monitors. I'm hoping the equations will live up to their press and be flat/accurate for that purpose! Oh, BTW, do you know if there's much if any, difference between the 240S and the 240M other than impedance....I mean, sound-wise?

http://www.myspace.com/lejaz

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 12
O.K. here's the issue in a nutshell: I'm a musician/home studio guy, and I just mixed a new song last night with the K240's, and thought it sounded pretty good. Then later I listened with the MDR-v6's and it was unacceptably bright. The difference was huge! And conversely, the old mixes I did in the past using the Sony's sound very dull when I listen with the 240's. But some studio guys I've met recommend the Sony's for mixing late at night when you can't use monitor speakers. And other musicians/engineers recommend the 240's for the same purpose. Somebody's got it wrong...or maybe they all do, and there is a flatter set of headphones under $150? My Equations are in the mail...should arrive by Wed. Anyone want to chime in on the question of the flattest/most accurate headphones for around $100?

http://www.myspace.com/lejaz

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 12
And the clear winner hands down.....Equation Rp-21! and they're not even fully burned in yet. Best bass by far...best treble also by pretty far...mids, I still like the AKG's...but once the Equations are burned in I wouldn't be surprised if they were the winner there too. I'm hearing harmony parts I never even noticed before. I hear reverb on vocal tracks that I didn't know was there with the Sony's and AKG's. Listening to classical piano, it sounds like I'm inside the piano!!! If anyone knows the Equation guy who posts here tell him these headphones have me grinnin' ear to ear...they kick serious butt!!!
icon10.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks 1Time. Have you heard the RP-21's or the AKG's? Funny, but all the headphones I put in the poll were described as flat/neutral to me by either musicians/engineers or reviews. Someone is obviously wrong, eh? The sony's are the least neutral to my ears. The AKG's sound flat/neutral to me, if a little bass shy and dull. They don't have the bass or detail of the RP-21's. I'll do a forum search on the Roland's since I've never heard of them before.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 12
I read really mixed reviews of the M50's. Some went so far as to say they're terrible...others compared them favorably to studio monitor speakers!! I wouldn't touch them though, since my least favorite set of cans is the M30's. I purchased them because of good reviews I read, but they're awful! I can't believe a company that makes highly regarded studio microphones would put out such a product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back