Equalizier with high end gear (??)
Jul 5, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 23
I usually use my HD650/Zu without equalization, but iTunes bass boost with my Ety ER4s sounds really great to me and I always use it.

dshea

Jul 5, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #17 of 23
its weird with my 212 pros, which arent high end, but i leave it on rock on itunes, then when the music changes to rap, everything sucks... for some reason the 212 cant handle some of the songs. i dont kno what bit rate its at, i dont kno how to find out, and i dont kno how i can make it to 280 or something. i want a higher quality.

Jul 5, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #18 of 23
I think EQing is like admitting defeat, saying goodbye to phase accuracy and most certainly goodbye to objective, flat, true sound.

Any "DIE-HARD" flatness purist like me should be reprehended if using EQ with high-end components. This is just so wrong IMO....

Jul 5, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #19 of 23
I must admit, I don't EQ at all. My source gear is far from perfect, probably in the bottom 10% of all you guys here, but I want to at least TRY to hear the music as the artist/recording engineer/producer intended. My EQ tends to be swapping headphones. More bass ? DT880's. Sweeter mids ? K501's etc...

J

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #20 of 23
There is no way to hear the music the way the artist intended without EQing.

A headphone or speaker system can be designed to cover the spectrum of audible sound, but inevitably, there are wolf tones and dips caused by overlapping crossovers or limitations of the driver. You can get a speaker close to flat through good design (+ or minus 3 to 5 db), but you have to EQ to achive perfect flatness. Most engineers measure frequency response using pink noise, but this doesn't take the masking effect into consideration. It's much more accurate to do a sweep of the frequency band using a tone generator.

Once you've heard what flat sounds like, it will be your eternal quest!

See ya
Steve

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #21 of 23
I used to use EQ on portables, but that was because my gear needed it; engaging the EQ on most portables will degrade sound quality significantly simply because of the cheap EQ and headamp built into them. Fortunately, neither with the UM2 nor the 001 do you really need EQ for anything, once you've tweaked out tips and interconnects to give you the best sound. The SR-404's in my system are pretty near being neutral, so that doesn't need any EQ either.

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #22 of 23
I admire the pursuit of purity from those who don't care for the use of EQ's.

I would humbly suggest that a surprising number of people *need* eq to correct for their own hearing deficiencies - clinically diagnosed or not. (Betcha a pair of koss plugs that almost no one in this thread has had their hearing fully tested.)

Personally, I use one when possible to brighten the high end because "me mudda" gave me bad ears to start with.
tongue.gif

Cheers!
Dan - turned tin into lemonade

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 23
I got an equalizer to deal with a (perceived) brightness problem. Unfortunately the unit died, so I bought another one. I have discovered that I do not need it after all. I got over it by the simple remedy of replacing CD player, amplifier and headphones - simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back