Equalizer versus Amp synergy match question
Feb 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dguitarnut

100+ Head-Fier
I am an old audiophile coming back to the hobby. Why don't headphone amps and or Dac units come with an equalizer? Wouldn't that solve most of our Headphone paring problems?   I had a Citation preamp in the old days with a nice equalizer built in.  My new LCD-XC needs a little more bass so just hit the sliders. MyTh900 has a U shaped curve that you fix in a second.
I know that the equalizer dirties the signal to a certain degree, but versatility I think outweighs the lengths I see forum members go thru to optimize this amp to that headphone.
What am I missing?   I need enlightenment!

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 4

I am an old audiophile coming back to the hobby. Why don't headphone amps and or Dac units come with an equalizer? Wouldn't that solve most of our Headphone paring problems?   I had a Citation preamp in the old days with a nice equalizer built in.  My new LCD-XC needs a little more bass so just hit the sliders. MyTh900 has a U shaped curve that you fix in a second.

I know that the equalizer dirties the signal to a certain degree, but versatility I think outweighs the lengths I see forum members go thru to optimize this amp to that headphone.

What am I missing?   I need enlightenment!

Well, some amp/dac units still have EQ (bravo audio as an example, some portable amps) others use Crossfeed which is another way to tweak the sound in your amp. 

Other companies have a more purist approach, and decide to forget about the EQ functions. 

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 4
I totally agree! EQ would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back