Equalize DT 880 or get different headphones?
Jan 27, 2019 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Creyze

New Head-Fier
I tested a lot of headphones and the DT 880 were the best in comfort and soundstage from all of them.
The problem is though I would like to EQ them to have boomier bass and sound warmer but I don't know if that will make them sound worse or if there are other headphones that fit my taste? Or is it save to EQ them without distorting the sound too much and making them sound bad?

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 11
I tested a lot of headphones and the DT 880 were the best in comfort and soundstage from all of them.
The problem is though I would like to EQ them to have boomier bass and sound warmer but I don't know if that will make them sound worse or if there are other headphones that fit my taste? Or is it save to EQ them without distorting the sound too much and making them sound bad?

That depends on whether 1) you have the right EQ with the right tools, ie, it can target the correct frequencies and 2) you know how to do that, and finally, 3) there's really no telling if you will like the result if so. For the first two, I can give you an EQ profile that you can input into programs like Neutron Music Player or any other variable software EQ like Equalizer APO.

Neutron Music Player

Subsonic Filter : On

Band 1
Filter Type : Low Shelf
Center Freq : 30hz
Q Factor : 1.0
Gain : +5dB

Band 2
Filter Type : Peak
Center Freq : 85hz
Q Factor : 1.4
Gain : +2dB

Band 3
Center Freq : 6,000hz
Q Factor : 1.2
Gain : -2dB

Band 4
Center Freq : 9,000hz
Q Factor : 1.0
Gain : -6dB

Band 5
Center Freq : 10,000hz
Q Factor : 1.2

Equalizer APO

Band 1
Center Freq : 20hz
Gain : +6dB

Band 2
Center Freq : 30hz
Gain : +3dB

Band 3
Center Freq : 85hz
Gain : +2dB

Band X (It's a graphic EQ so check what's closest to this freq and replace that)
Center Freq : 6,000hz

Band X (It's a graphic EQ so check what's closest to this freq and replace that)
Center Freq : 7,000hz

Center Freq : 8,500hz
Gain : -6dB

Center Freq : 10,000hz

As for the third point...that's where it gets tricky. You could at best tweak the gain on these settings and see if you get to what you want, but of course, no guarantees. EQ of course is deliberate distortion to the source signal or the input signal to the amp (in the case of bass boost controls and analogue EQ units), so the chances of a boost to the signal causing actual, easy to hear, bad even in subjective terms driver distortion is a real possibility, which at minimum could be kept in check by having an amp with a lot of power and very high damping factor. That still doesn't guarantee you'll get to what you want though.

That said...what were the conditions when you tested them? If there was reasonable noise (my room during weekend afternoons with the windows and door open, door to balcony on the hallway open, fans, no A/C running yet) has a noise floor of about 50dB. Any open headphone, even my HD600 EQ-d to mimic the HD650, will not have enough audible bass in there. If the place you tried the headphones on was in a mall and there were enough people around in the store or even in the hallway and you weren't in the isolated listening room, the noisefloor would likely be comparable or still problematic. You can't hear enough of the bass and crank it up to try to do so, making the 9,000hz peak on that headphone even worse (and it's already objectively bad).

Lastly, considering what you want in the sound, have you tried the Sennheiser HD650? You can get the Massdrop HD6XX version. The variable here though isn't just sound but also comfort, and in the end, you have to be the one to weigh the risks.

One thing that could make it easier for you though is to go back to where you tried the DT880 and use a device running either software I mentioned with the EQ profile I provided. If that sounds good enough to you, then might as well get the DT880. Make sure you run it through an amp though because I have a fairly aggressive boost on the bass.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 11
I tested a lot of headphones and the DT 880 were the best in comfort and sound stage from all of them.
Thanks!
I own both the DT880 250-Ohm and 600-Ohm versions and they are nicely balanced in the sound, but the headphones are a little on the bright side.
Better to get headphones that have a warmer sound, then trying to EQ the DT880.
Check out the Soundmagic HP200, they have a bommier sound :)

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 11
As for the third point...that's where it gets tricky. You could at best tweak the gain on these settings and see if you get to what you want, but of course, no guarantees. EQ of course is deliberate distortion to the source signal or the input signal to the amp (in the case of bass boost controls and analogue EQ units), so the chances of a boost to the signal causing actual, easy to hear, bad even in subjective terms driver distortion is a real possibility, which at minimum could be kept in check by having an amp with a lot of power and very high damping factor. That still doesn't guarantee you'll get to what you want though.

That said...what were the conditions when you tested them? If there was reasonable noise (my room during weekend afternoons with the windows and door open, door to balcony on the hallway open, fans, no A/C running yet) has a noise floor of about 50dB. Any open headphone, even my HD600 EQ-d to mimic the HD650, will not have enough audible bass in there. If the place you tried the headphones on was in a mall and there were enough people around in the store or even in the hallway and you weren't in the isolated listening room, the noisefloor would likely be comparable or still problematic. You can't hear enough of the bass and crank it up to try to do so, making the 9,000hz peak on that headphone even worse (and it's already objectively bad).

Lastly, considering what you want in the sound, have you tried the Sennheiser HD650? You can get the Massdrop HD6XX version. The variable here though isn't just sound but also comfort, and in the end, you have to be the one to weigh the risks.

One thing that could make it easier for you though is to go back to where you tried the DT880 and use a device running either software I mentioned with the EQ profile I provided. If that sounds good enough to you, then might as well get the DT880. Make sure you run it through an amp though because I have a fairly aggressive boost on the bass.

Thanks for the detailed help!
I was using them at home in a quiet environment with no open windows together with the DT 990, HD 660s and 600 (outlet), and AKG 712. Comfort and soundstage I liked best on the Beyerdynamics but the 660s had the overall best sound (just vocals were not as good as with the DT 880). Sadly though the clamp on the 660s was too much for me, even after stretching them, and the soundstage was too small for my liking. I know I might sound kind of picky, but I just don't want to spend $200-300 on headphones I end up not liking:floatsmile:. I still have the DT 880 and 990 here so I am going to try that out right now!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 11
I was using them at home in a quiet environment with no open windows together with the DT 990, HD 660s and 600 (outlet), and AKG 712. Comfort and soundstage I liked best on the Beyerdynamics but the 660s had the overall best sound (just vocals were not as good as with the DT 880). Sadly though the clamp on the 660s was too much for me, even after stretching them, and the soundstage was too small for my liking. I know I might sound kind of picky, but I just don't want to spend $200-300 on headphones I end up not liking:floatsmile:. I still have the DT 880 and 990 here so I am going to try that out right now!

That's kind of weird, the Beyers would normally be a little tighter than the HD6xx series. Are the Beyers used? The previous owner might have adjusted the metal bits. I have my Superlux HD330 bent outwards with the fulcrum at the center of the headband (slightly flattened, effectively) and then similar movement at the bends on the gimbals (these have a pronounced inward bend just like the 770's, not the smooth curve on the 880, but still doable on the latter).

Speaking of adjusting the metal bits, what did you mean by "stretching" the Sennheisers? If you just pulled the metal arms by the rails out from the where there's a plastic shroud, that's not really all the adjustments that people do on them. Stretch those metal arms out fully then bend them outwards at the center and then at the gimbal end, holding at each point by 10seconds at a time. Cycle through all four points twice or thrice, fit, repeat as necessary.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 11
That's kind of weird, the Beyers would normally be a little tighter than the HD6xx series. Are the Beyers used? The previous owner might have adjusted the metal bits. I have my Superlux HD330 bent outwards with the fulcrum at the center of the headband (slightly flattened, effectively) and then similar movement at the bends on the gimbals (these have a pronounced inward bend just like the 770's, not the smooth curve on the 880, but still doable on the latter).

Speaking of adjusting the metal bits, what did you mean by "stretching" the Sennheisers? If you just pulled the metal arms by the rails out from the where there's a plastic shroud, that's not really all the adjustments that people do on them. Stretch those metal arms out fully then bend them outwards at the center and then at the gimbal end, holding at each point by 10seconds at a time. Cycle through all four points twice or thrice, fit, repeat as necessary.

The Pro version is definitely almost as tight as the 6xx series, but the Edition version is not tight at all (880 and 880 pro are new, 990, 990 pro and 660s from the outlet store). I used a block where I put them on, kind of like they would sit on a head, for 1-2 days and stretched them manually like you described. But the soundstage wasn't enough for my anyway. The profile did help with the sound, so unless there are headphones that have a similar sound, comfort and soundstage by default I will probably go for the DT 880. :)

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 11
Check out the hybrid XL pads from Brainwavez. I bought a pair for mine and they definitely provided a bass increase.

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 11
I used a block where I put them on, kind of like they would sit on a head, for 1-2 days and stretched them manually like you described. But the soundstage wasn't enough for my anyway.

I wouldn't use the block, you could have squished the earpads a bit. Never used it actually. I just kept on stretching the metal parts, ie, why I said "repeat as necessary," which in my case was to the point of "feels like K701, apart from oval pads and no large round pads tickling me near the cheekbones."

The profile did help with the sound, so unless there are headphones that have a similar sound, comfort and soundstage by default I will probably go for the DT 880. :)

I practically EQ-d it close to the HD6XX/650 (I have the same result on my HD600 EQ profile).

If you want one with a larger soundstage (as opposed to just a more proportional one - I have Crossfeed on my Meier amp and Neutron, plus angled HM5 earpads) there's the Audeze LCD-2C.

Jan 28, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 11
I wouldn't use the block, you could have squished the earpads a bit. Never used it actually. I just kept on stretching the metal parts, ie, why I said "repeat as necessary," which in my case was to the point of "feels like K701, apart from oval pads and no large round pads tickling me near the cheekbones."

I practically EQ-d it close to the HD6XX/650 (I have the same result on my HD600 EQ profile).

If you want one with a larger soundstage (as opposed to just a more proportional one - I have Crossfeed on my Meier amp and Neutron, plus angled HM5 earpads) there's the Audeze LCD-2C.

Hmm, now you make me second guess my 660s decision. If they can be a lot more comfortable I might check them out again. Do you know how they compare sound wise to the HD 58X? Especially which would be clearer and have wider soundstage. The Audeze are sadly too expensive.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 11
Hmm, now you make me second guess my 660s decision. If they can be a lot more comfortable I might check them out again. Do you know how they compare sound wise to the HD 58X? Especially which would be clearer and have wider soundstage. The Audeze are sadly too expensive.

AFAIK HD58X is a 150ohm version of the HD600, but the response is slightly altered (graphs say slightly smoother HD600, impressions that pop up now and then so far say it's closer to HD650 than the graph says), HD660S is a 150ohm HD650 where graphs say "not much difference, looks more like manufacturing or earpad wear variations," but impressions posted seem to say "reduced discrepancy between below 1000hz and above 1000hz."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back