EQing MY MS-1s
Jun 7, 2005 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zeyus

100+ Head-Fier
I know its the general view here that EQing is a bad move. I guess though I thought I'd play around to see what kind of sounds I can get, and this is a very drastic change.

Because of my earlier posts, and others posting that the MS-1s weren't the best for rap / hip-hop, my main reason for thinking that was not enough bass. So I mucked around with my 10 band EQ plugin in XMMS (you can bump it upto 31 band, they are all ISO spacing, but I dont know much about EQing so 10 is enough to muck around with) and had the following settings

31 = +8.6
62 = +9.1
124 = +8.2
250 = +4.3
the rest after that I left flat

Now like I said thats a huge, and grossly inproportionate alteration.
But I thought it was of interest that it made it sound like my old cars sound system, the big boomy bass.

The conclusion I have come to is that if I knew what I was doing, or even with a slight bumping of the bass frequencies for rap, makes these phones 100% better. But with too much bass it sounds disgusiting for all the other stuff I listen to.

Some sample tracks that sound good (IMHO) with a boost (not as much as above)

Nate Dogg - I Got Love
Eminem - B**** Please II
Nas - Get Down
Nate Dogg - Keep It G.A.N.G.S.T.A

Funny enough, I think
Snoop - Who Am I?
sounds yuk with it EQd.

Anyways, I don't want to start a war or anything, I just thought I'd post what I thought. Which is, that with some EQing the MS-1s IMO can sound much better for rap, as I have nothing to compare them there are I'm sure much better cans just for that purpose though.

Anyone else mucked around with it?

Luke

Jun 7, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 6
I tried EQing using presets. It resulted in a big change of sound, fuller if you wish, but the distortion and statics were not worth the petty coloration caused by EQing. I'd much rather buy gear which wouldn't need to be EQed to sound good
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
I tried EQing using presets. It resulted in a big change of sound, fuller if you wish, but the distortion and statics were not worth the petty coloration caused by EQing. I'd much rather buy gear which wouldn't need to be EQed to sound good
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, true, but there was no distortion at all with this (as far as I could tell) because I had my PCM/Wave/Headphone volumes really low, and was using my amp to get the volume right. So that worked ok in that aspect.

I agree with that, I would like enough money, and desk space, to have a setup for all kinds of moods and music
orphsmile.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 6
I've tried eq'ing, but I keep coming back to the same starting point that you cant grow ponies frorm dog crap. with more than one can, various vu levels on recordings and qualities its just too much of a hassle. the 'get good gear' suggestion is the right way to go, although I'm just beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back