EQ your Headphones with this 60 band Software Equalizer !
Apr 2, 2004 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
Thats right,i found this MEGA cool winamp plugin called RTEQ.
You can get it from here : http://members.aon.at/grxpage/

Install it ,goto Configure.Set the Quality slider to 8 (very high quality,silent sounds no longer disappear.However it takes up about 15% CPU time in case of my XP 2400+) And then type in x in the number of bands..

Tweak and ENJOY! Hell,i tweaked my Koss KTX Pro to provide me with a HD600 frequency response !
biggrin.gif

Sushant Gore

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 11
now if only someone would adapt winamp plugs to foobar2000..there has been some talk in hydrogen audio, but nothing final is out yet.

Apr 2, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by ]|[ GorE

Tweak and ENJOY! Hell,i tweaked my Koss KTX Pro to provide me with a HD600 frequency response !
biggrin.gif

Sushant Gore

Yeah, sure...
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
Yeah, sure...
wink.gif

Thats what i am guessing.....there arent any shops having high end Senns on display here in Dubai.I did what i could by looking at the frequency response graphs i got from headroom.

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by some1x
Nothing is gained by eq'ing your headphones to match better headphones... you just end up fubaring your own headphones' sound.

Explain to me , plz.

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by ]|[ GorE
Explain to me , plz.

fubar/fu'bar - adj. 1. f-cked up beyond all recognition.

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 11
You can not do anything to your frequency except to mask it. It's like a pushup bra... once you rip it off, you'll be horrified at what you really get.

Changing a signal by use of an EQ will distort the signal slightly. You can only boost, and lower things, you can not extend any things. Doing this, just gives you the illusion of better quality.
Explains why many, if not most hardcore audiophiles don't use EQs.

Just a little side note... I'm just imagining stuff in my head, I've never really ripped a bra off of a girl before...

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 11
Think about it in different perspectives. Says in ideal world where EQ causes no degrade. You phones are responding to different range of frequency (no headphones respond to all freq at the same result.) There is no way you can EQ the source so that output will come out as number you expected.

Your plan: (You phone) + (EQ) = (HD600)

EQ is adjustable, HD600 is fixed. You still don't know your phones (x). How are you gonna get correct EQ values?

In real world, EQ (digitally) gives you extortion. It's just the way d/a sampling works. You cannot easily boost up one range of freq. Likely, the software will do better job than those built-in on soundcard. But i doubt that it will be perfect.

All that aside, characteristics of headphones are not just its responsivitiy at different freq. It also includes details and quickness of them. That alone, no EQ in the world will be able help you.

Only time you want to EQ is to minimize effect of output that you think it's not right. A bassy headphones can be tamed (a little bit) by dropping low/mid bass a bit. Things like that. The best thing to do is still buying a better set of cans.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 11
Aren't we doing the equivalent of using an EQ by using different cables to change/adjust the sound of our headphones? It's just EQ'ing with hardware rather than with software. It's cheaper with software, especially if you're playing your music from a computer and using the EQ software of your music software. You're not going to change the soundstage or clarity of your headphones but you can at least change their sound signature to be like that of different headphones.

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 11
Frequency response is only one part of the sound signature of a headphone. There's also soundstage, resolution, details, etc.

That aside, I think you'd be better served with a parametric eq like Shibatch. It is fully customizable and doesn't take much system resources (with my 3.2ghz computer, Winamp used about 6 seconds total cpu time aftwe 10 hours of play.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back