EQ with DAC?
Jan 15, 2008 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

meusickfrek

100+ Head-Fier
I have a couple questions, I'm thinking of buying a P2 dac/amp. Will I be able to use the eq when used with a computer and how do you play music through a usb? Sorry if these questions have been asked but I have searched and could not find anything. Thanks

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 6
How's Flagstaff these days? I used to live in Walnut Ridge. Awesome place!!

Regarding your question. You need something to convert USB audio to SPDIF. You can buy converters ($50-$75) or you can get a DAC with USB inputs. What ever device you get, it will show up as a USB Sound Card. No drivers needed, just plug and play. I use both Winamp and Foobar and both have EQ's and they work just as expected. You'll want to use ASIO to bypass the windows mixer and windows volume control and windows control the world applications. Asio takes a little bit to configure but there are some great articles on it here.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the reply brainsalad. Flag has been real nice lately, we have had a couple good snows but that is a bout it, maybe 1.5 to 2 ft apiece.
So I am in school now and work in a computer lab with many computers, can I just walk up to any computer and use the dac/amp (i said P2 but meant D2) or do I have to download ASIO. One more thing when you say mixer do you mean win amps dac. Going to lookup ASIO now, Thanks

Edit: Clarification, I stream lots of music from the live music archive.org while working.

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 6
You don't need Asio. Especially if you are in a computer lab setting. It could really cause some confusion because Asio intercepts the digital stream from your software and routes it to your DAC or what ever device defined. On your home/personal rig you definitely want to use it.

If there is music, software to play it with (Windows Media Player, Winamp, Foobar), and an available USB Port, it really is just plug and play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back