EQ Tutorial for Karma
Feb 18, 2005 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jmmmmm

Headphoneus Supremus
For those new (and old) karma owners, this is a post from the www.riovolution.com message forum about eq settings. Even if you don't use his settings, I think it is useful. I personally have turned down the bass from his settings.
Thanks to flattop100

Quote:

Originally Posted by flattop100
As a live sound engineer (yes, day job), I'll give you a quick breakdown on EQ, as I see it.

Bootnote: Sound is the most subjective thing on the planet/everyone's a sound guy--so in the end, do what sounds best to YOU. This tutorial is to give a basic understanding of how the EQ works, and to give you a starting point in making your own presets.

Now, I'm going to assume that you're EQing to make good stuff sound BETTER. I'm making my suggestions without any regard to battery life. The Rio Gods/Engineers are probably better equipped to answer that part of your question.

For starters, think of the default EQ--Bass and Treble. Since there's two "thingies" to adjust, we could call that a 2-band equalizer. Moving right along, we can call the "Advanced" setting 5-band: Low Bass, High Bass, Mids, Low Treble, and High Treble.

If you will.

I'm going to start getting technical now. I apologize in advance, but there's no help for it.

Back to high school science class...remember the part on sound and physics, which was taught at the end of the school year, and you spent most of class staring out the window at the women's track team?

Good times.

You should have been looking at the chalkboard. The teacher was explaining that sound is actually repeated pressure waves, traveling through the air and slamming into your eardrum. The slower the repetition, the "lower" the sound seems to be. Think of your average high school tuba player--the dude is pretty slow, ain't he? And he plays a low instrument...see the connection?

Since sound occurs frequently, the sound waves are often referred to in blue-collar circles as frequencies. However, scientists are white-collar, and like official sounding terms. Dr. Owit Hertz died for science, so his last name describes the number of sound pressure waves per second. The hertz was born anew! (I can see the movie now: The Passion of Hertz...)

Now, since we humans are nothing more than singing bags of meat, we're falliable. We can only hear between 20 and 20,000 hertz. (That's 20 sound pressure waves per second to 20,000 waves per second.) --That's average. Your actual mileage may vary.

OK, so I can't see the point of all this yet, but I can smell it.

With the 5-band EQ, you can choose what section of the audio range you're boosting or cutting; namely, the frequencies.

Some examples regarding frequencies:

A)A piano emits sounds from about 28 hertz up to 4200 hertz (4.2 kilohertz). (That's the fundemental, anyway; sound does this weird thing where it creates "overtones." Basically, if you have a low pitch and a middle pitch, the sound will add up (yes, like 2nd grade addition) to a high pitch.)
B)Most telephones reproduce 300 hertz to 3.5 kilohertz.
C)Your average home theater subwoofer reproduces sound from about 120 hertz down to about 40 or 50.
D) The typical human 'hiss' or 'S' sound runs the gamut from about 8 khz through 16 khz.

Now, it would be nearly pointless to boost or cut only one hertz--you would hardly notice it. So EQs adjust all the frequencies around a central point. This is part of the reason we refer to them as bands.

This is where the Rio Engineers' collective genius kicks in, and also where the "Width" setting on your EQ becomes important.

I need to introduce another scary music term, the "octave." In music, it refers to equal pitch intervals, one above the other. (Remember Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz? Sing the first word of Somewhere Over the Rainbow...you've sung an octave!) In sound (as opposed to music), we use the term 'octave' a little differently. Our ears work logarithmically, so that an octave is a frequency ratio of 2:1. Translation: There is one octave between 100 and 200 hertz, and one octave between 1000 and 2000 hertz.

The 'Width' on the Karma adjusts how wide an octave the EQ adjusts, in other words, how many frequencies are included in the boost or cut. On the Karma, you can go from 0.2 of an octave, to 4 octaves.

The best example I can think of is a dam breaking. A narrow octave width would sound like the first teeny tiny jet of water, hissing so softly you can hardly hear it. A wide octave width (really frikkin' wide), however, would sound like the whole wall caved in, a full "static on TV" type of sound.

Ouch. My head hurts. I hope this makes sense to some of you out there.

Maybe it would just be simpler if I gave out my EQ settings (using the default Senn earbuds). This won't sound as good to you as it does to me, since we probably wear our earbuds differently, and since we hear differently. On the other hand, I do get paid to make bad bands sound better, so take this as gospel.

Band: 12k
Boost: +3db
Width: 1.2

Band: 2k
Boost: +1db

Band: 400
Boost: -2db

Band: 120
Boost: +8
Width: 0.8

Band: 60
Boost: +8
Width: 1.0

I see that some "why do you EQ there?" might be helpful. These are kind of a 'default' I use on most headphones. Normally I use Shure e3's'--here are my settings for those.
12k helps "brighten" the sound. Cymbal crashes et al come through a little more.
2k adds a touch of presence as well--makes thing a little more undertandable.
400 is kind of a messy area, so I turn it down
120 is near the high dry bass sound, and I like bass. So I turn it up.
60 is the part of the kick drum sound that moves air.

EDIT: DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

As phrenzy says here, boosting the EQ too much can cause clipping, (cutting the tops and bottoms off of the waveforms), which results in damage to either A ) The Karma's headphone amp, B ) your headphones, or C ) whatever equipment you have plugged in downstream of the Karma. So go ahead and tweak all you want, but if you hear distortion, there's probably something wrong.

Personally, I think the Rio seems kind of lackluster as far the low-end EQ goes. I've noticed this even on my Audio Technica studio phones (M40fs). I haven't played around enough to validate my statement, but the change isn't as dramatic on the low end (say...100 htz and below) as it is anywhere else.

That being said, I can't thank Rio enough for including this kind of command and control. The EQ and the VU meters give EVERY other music box out there a severe kick in the nuts. THANK YOU!!!

http://forums-riovolution.com/index.php?showtopic=6404

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 13
so everyone has seen this, or no one really is interested?

Feb 19, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity
Great tutorial. I wonder if he can make me EQ setups for MDR888 and ER4S.

I think the point of the post is so *he* doesn't have to do it anymore.
wink.gif
I find its bes to look at the freq response graphs at headroom, and start to adjust for the weak spots in your cans. Then tweak it some more so it sounds good to you.

Feb 19, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 13
Ah, the infamous 'smiley face' EQ... all I have to say is, please use your own ears and listen carefully rather than just accepting those settings as the "right" settings.

Feb 19, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by acklee
Ah, the infamous 'smiley face' EQ... all I have to say is, please use your own ears and listen carefully rather than just accepting those settings as the "right" settings.

So is there something wrong with EQ'ing the inability of the Senn buds at frequency extremes? (making a blatant assumption about the buds now, though)

But I agree on the part about each person making their own settings. Everyone's ears have different frequency response and of course settings for one 'phones can't be used with others (unless the 'phones are very close or identical in tonal balance).

Feb 19, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
so everyone has seen this, or no one really is interested?

I read it earlier and sat down and set up my karma...Damn, what a nice improvement with my 7506's. Although, i keep the lower freq's lower since the headphone is a bass monster naturally. It sounds more rounded and warm, definitely easier on the ears.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
So is there something wrong with EQ'ing the inability of the Senn buds at frequency extremes? (making a blatant assumption about the buds now, though)

I don't want to be overly negative, because (a) I haven't heard the setup for myself and (b) everyone has different tastes anyway.

But I will say that 8dB is a lot of boost (nearly twice as loud), and that the most common misuse of EQ by consumers is to pump up the bass (hence the popular "mega bass" features of many consumer audio devices). Again, I'm not saying that this is necessarily wrong, but it is certainly not the right thing for everyone.

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 13
I just tried out these settings the other day. His bass setting is a little too monstrous for me, but after I turned the low end down a couple clicks I found this to be the best eq I've tried. Very powerful and warm but nice detail in the highs. Overall more coherent than with eq off, everything becomes easier to follow.

Feb 20, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by acklee
I don't want to be overly negative, because (a) I haven't heard the setup for myself and (b) everyone has different tastes anyway.

But I will say that 8dB is a lot of boost (nearly twice as loud), and that the most common misuse of EQ by consumers is to pump up the bass (hence the popular "mega bass" features of many consumer audio devices). Again, I'm not saying that this is necessarily wrong, but it is certainly not the right thing for everyone.

right, and that's what flattop says in the post. i think this is more of a good intro on what a parametric eq is and guidelines on how to set it. anyone who blindly copies his settings without seeing what they like on their own is missing the point. i would hope most people on head-fi are more proactive about their music than to do that. I agree 8db is excessive, and I altered that in my eq.

However, i think if people use his settings as a basis, they will end up enjoying their music more. I know I am.

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
However, i think if people use his settings as a basis, they will end up enjoying their music more. I know I am.

Right on - whatever makes your music more enjoyable to you is the right thing, no question. Personally, I'm a "no EQ is good EQ" guy, but try 'em out and see what floats your boat.

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 13
First off, I apologize for the thread resurrection. However, someone just pointed this thread out to me and I'd like to make a few comments.

1. I've changed my (favorite) settings for Shure E3's. They're currently as follows:

12k +2 1.2
400 -1 0.6
200 +1 1.2
80 +5 1.2
50 +7 1.2

I should also point out that I usually listen on the road. As my vehicle has a lot of road noise, I over-compensate to make the bass seem...like what it should sound like.

However, when these seem like too much, I switch to everything zeroed, but 400 -3. (Thanks again to the ex-Rio engineers for Doing The Right Thing and implementing a truly useful and powerful EQ.)

Quote:

Great tutorial. I wonder if he can make me EQ setups for MDR888 and ER4S.

I'd love to. Wanna send me pairs I can keep?
icon10.gif

Quote:

True enough. I would suggest that most consumer electronics simply have inadequate frequency response, period. Unfortunately, the Mega Sound button usually goes too far the other way. I'm wandering from my point here.

My day job is to use concert-scale sound systems. These are designed to output overwelming volume throughout a far greater frequency range than 90% of the consumer audio equipment sold. As such, I'm trying to make my consumer products sound like professional audio equipment.

Can you blame me?
rolleyes.gif

There's a point that's come up repeatedly and respectfully in the thread that I'd like to reiterate: do whats sounds good to you. I've edited the original post (and added more) to the forum at Riovolution (but as of 12-20-05, the Riovolution has appeared to have ended.
frown.gif
).

There's also an interesting discussion to be had: accuracy versus musicality. When I'm working, I have a pair of neutral headcans that I use to monitor things and adjust the sound as needed. In other words, at "work," there's a need for me to have accurate, neutral sound in order to find out what's wrong, and what's right.

On the other hand, when I'm listening recreationally, I personally prefer for the music to sound as good as possible. Hence my EQ settings: I'm both overcoming what I perceive as weaknesses with the E3's, and also trying to make the music more vibrant. I liken sound to a painting: when listening for fun, I want my "colors" (sounds) as saturated (bright, warm, whatever) as possible, without being unnatural.

So there you have it. Whaddya folks think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back