EQ settings
Apr 17, 2009 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jbizzle

New Head-Fier
So i just got my new set of shure se530's i had the 310's for almost two years and i will admit i eq'd the crap out of them wich was honestly a mistake id say... so with my 530's i was forcing myself to listen to a flat eq after i got used to it at much lower volumes i started to enjoy it more and the bass just came through the more i listened to it... but it was just to shrill on the ears the upper mids and highs where far to harsh... so ive lowerd each frequency in my EQ -1 straight across and wow... the perfect amount of bass and the shrill to my ears is gone... well my question is not realy that pressing but would you guys (audiophiles) still consider that a "flat" eq?

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 9
If you had a perfect source, with perfect earphones, listening to music perfectly mixed, I would say the equalizer is useless. But your source isn't perfect, and so do the se530 and the world, unfortunately^^
For me, personnally, as far as I'm concerned (I prefer to be careful, on this forum
tongue.gif
), I think that equalizer, wisely used, may help to slightly and gently correct some frequencies that are not perfectly renderred. For instance, my super fi 5 pro have a mid-bass hump around, I would say 250hz. Well, I use the equalizer on my iaudio7 to just tame this frequency a bit, by 2 db. I do not believe it is denaturing the sound.
Of course, if you abuse of the equalizer, as many people do, like boosting the bass and the treble up to maximum, and reducing the midrange, you will kill the sound.
Just my two cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 9
well i find that taking -1 off each frequency so far as just made it easier to listen to if i switch back and forth between flat and flat -1 there is almost no difference besides its less shrill on the higher freq... my set up is shure se530's with the tripple flange cut down to a 2 and my source is a Sony NWZ-A728 and my files are AAC 192 vb

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Well, I really tried to convince myself that "flat is better" as some "audiophiles" would say, but I cannot. Personnaly, I think my rig just sound better with that small tweak. So I think the most important thing is what YOU hear, not what OTHER say
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voltag3 where you think i got the idea lol....
its like night and day difference from the fomies to your flange mod

Oh, lol. Glad you like it!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back